Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been noticing super lowered cars the last several years, basically lowered so much that the rims of the wheels is at (or just above) the wheel well lip. Generally, you can't even see the top of the tire sidewall. While I began noticing the fan/trend more and more on European cars chances are it first started out among the Asian crowd.

And yet if you look at a vehicles listed mods it generally says dropped springs. Its hard to believe you can get this look with just dropped springs (even adjustable coil overs). You'd think they'd have to using some type of hydraulic or air suspension, but when you read the mods a lot of times it says dropped springs. Regardless, totally dig the look. :cool: Well…the super lowered look, not the knock knee tire look because that looks like an accident about to happen.

However, it does make you wonder what's the trade-off or sacrifice is because there has to be one. Anyone know?

Even w/adjustable spring coilovers on both of our Kappa's the wheel well lips are still above the tires sidewall front and back.

Just found the name of the trend; hellaflush.
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1009-aggressive-wheel-offset/viewall.html
http://motormavens.com/2013/05/speed-and-stance-auto-club-speedway-fontana-coverage/

·
Registered
138 Posts
The style is called Stance.

Stance Works - Low is a Lifestyle.

It is a trend started in America and now copied by Europe and Asia. Tire and wheel selection and camber adjustment is crucial to the correct Stance and not rubbing. This style isn't possible on the Kappa because our fender wells are not very deep... a very streched 225-235 tire on a 20x7 rim might get you that look... but who wants to run on 225s?

--Christian

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hellaflush or Stance, some look OK, but as I said when it affects the camber to the point the wheels look at it looks knocked knee or the oil or floor pan looks to hitting the pavement even I wouldn't go there. And even though that Porsche camber looks OK, it's still looks like its dropped too low. Chopping the roof looks to be better alternative to get an aggressive lowered look. I had one of the first 3 inch chopped Fiero's and half the time I'd get cut off in traffic because SUVs couldn't see the damn thing. Think it was around 43, 44 inches high w/chop top and dropped springs. Stoopid low.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
I have a set of Eibach sportline springs on my car,I don't think they make them anymore,lowered it a couple of inches and improved the handling a bit and best of all it's still a decent ride I have no tire clearance problems but then again I'm running 18" rims

·
Registered
256 Posts
They aren't getting that low on drop springs. I'll guarantee that.

And it you really want to get that low, just remove the splash shields.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i lowered my 66 tempest in front by chopping a coil off the sprigs and raised it 2 inches in the rear for that dragster look.handling sucked though...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello,
Cartman32 is a dealer for Air Ride suspension (or something like that) his Solstice is lowered to the ground but he can raise it up for driving. Thanks from Norm

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Beep Beep
Thanks for the shout-out Norm

I believe I have the only bagged solstice there is....the bags are bag-over-strut design since they need to fit inside the A-arms...pretty simple design.
I installed Accuair's Digital Air Management system...only way to go.

My rims aren't hellaflushed though....a good buddy of mine has about $4k into his stanced 350Z and it rides like a dream IF....IF you can go certain places....he avoids most places like the plague if he knows he can't drive there....

His fender, when doing a full travel, goes inbetween his rim/lip and his tire

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cart, like to see a vid of your car running lowered. We see very few Hellaflush/Stance type vehicles here. What's different about this lowered fad is how the wheels/tires are pushed out to the extreme.

If I had the scratch I'd be looking at Nutek wheels: Nutek Forged Wheels | Forged 3pc and 1pc wheels | Concave wheels | by Nutek Wheels. But regardless keep tires/wheels inside the fender lip and a vertical camber.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I really hate when the lip of the rims sticks out further than the tire allows. Not only does it look stupid, it can't be good for the side wall steel belts inside the tires. I can only imagine those guys scrape the hell out of their lips all the time.

Cartman, your car looks cool lowered on bags.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well, although I appreciate all the hard work that goes into this, I am not a fan. sorry, guess I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Eibach sport line take care of that massive gap.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheel gap between the tire and fender is just ugly. That's all you need to get.
I was rereading the Solstice book last night and it discussed how hard they worked to get the stance of the vehicle just right. It came across as they really had to fight get the tires/wheels pushed out as far as they could, along with working to get the lowest fender/tire gap, and yet all I see is a 4X4. Which is why I think even mild lowering helps the looks of these cars so much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts