Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea or bad idea. I have seen some things on forums about using nitrous with supercharged engines. It looks like it can have bad aspects, but no worse than using nitrous with n/a engines, you just need to be smart with it. Any thoughts??

I seem to have a need for speed that is becoming quite apparent.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
"There is no replacement for displacement."
:thumbs

Its even true with boosted engines!

Not sure I would need nitrous in a supercharged Solstice. If you really need all that power for your daily use, maybe you need a more powerful car to begin with. I am not sure using nitrous a lot on an engine that is already boosted is the best thing for longevity and reliability. Maybe its ok for the occasional run at the track (and I stress maybe) but I wouldn’t want to be spraying all the time to satisfy my need for speed. I’d just look for a quicker car to begin with.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Are you building a daily driver or a drag racer? You'll be rebuilding the engine often, so if that gets annoying in a daily driver, then I would say avoid it. I agree with others here, if blinding speed is your thing, then the Solstice might be the wrong car for you. It's going to cost so much to get a Solstice up to competitive speeds that you might want to start with something that has a bigger motor or is cheaper. Maybe you got lots of $$$, I don't know, but If you acctualy use the Nitrous on your engine there are consequences. There's a reason that everyone doesn't use it and manufactures don't offer it as an option. It melts engines easily.

Personaly, I think there is nothing worse than a blown up engine. Unless I were in serious competition, I wouldn't touch the stuff. It's kind of like Crack for your engine, it's either going to end up dead or in rehab.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like having multiple single-purpose cars than one "Jack of all trades and master of none." Fieros are incredibly cheap right now and if you start with an 88 Formula/Getrag and add the right stuff, you will have a Porsche beater.

Alternately, you can add an Archie kit and a SBC and go as fast in a straight line as you want.

OTOH a Solstice is more of a car for fun. If you have a garage or carport, the top need never go up.

In that light, I have reservations about offering only a 4 cyl, more as a matter of image and sound than usefulness. Maybe a s/c version will work but will require premium fuel and never sound the same.

And on athe gripping hand, maybe it is no longer necessary, 3 cyl are now the cheapest propulsion around, not fours and balance shafts take care of the vibration. That just leaves the exhaust note but you can do a lot with an exhaust system.

Dunno what Pontiac plans but would not be surprised if similar to the Fiero - one engine only for the first year but "something more" as an option the second. Do expect a paddle shifter immediately.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Instead of N2O (NOS) you're probably better going with several other performance enhancements. You can always replace the pulley with a smaller diameter wheel and get higher psi output. If it's forced induction you will definately want to replace the intercooler core with something that allows for a higher CFM and a lower core temp. If it's an air-to-air, an air-to-liquid would be a good choice. Otherwise you're going to be adding NOS to a system with an already elevated internal temperature. Boring the engine from 2.4L to say 2.6L will give you some boost in power too. Or you can go the other way, and decrease the size like the Solstice Concept 2.2L Supercharged engine. Decrease the compression ration, and then crank the boost up to crazy levels.

The only place NOS is going to do you any real good is a drag strip, or street racing. Because if you're auto-crossing it's just going to massively increase your engine temp while moving at lower speeds. And if you're looking to drag/street race with NOS just buy a Civic and dump the money you save in it. Because you'll find far more 'street/drag performance' orientated parts for the Civic then you will a Solstice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
piippor said:
Good idea or bad idea. I have seen some things on forums about using nitrous with supercharged engines. It looks like it can have bad aspects, but no worse than using nitrous with n/a engines, you just need to be smart with it. Any thoughts??

I seem to have a need for speed that is becoming quite apparent.
nitrous is always an option, and usually the cheapest power adder. it isnt good or bad. only the implementation is good or bad. used in moderation, as long as you add the proper amount of fuel, you shouldnt have any engine problems.

you can use a dry kit BEFORE the SC with no problems to the SC. but dont use a wet kit (N2O and fuel). if the car has an IC, i'd suggest not using a dry or wet kit before it and the SC. you can easily freeze the IC core and quick hot/cold changes dont do wonders for metal fatigue. guys that do, run straight dex through the IC, which drastically cuts its efficiency with the n2o off. if the car doesnt come with an IC, a 25-50 shot is as effective as an IC at droping SC outlet temps. wired to engage at a set boost level (when knock appears) using an adjustable pressure switch works. but anytime you run n2o, you always have to keep supply and bottle psi in mind. if you get the car into boost often, you will be making trips to fill the bottle often. a water-to air IC only needs to be serviced twice a year. :thumbs

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the advice. I must say that I don't need the Solstice to be break neck fast, or a car of all trades. Actually, I have no idea how the power to weight ratio is going to feel when driving it. My Ranger has 160 HP and my Jeep has 180. So the supercharger alone may give me plenty to be happy with.

I did buy the building the Ecotec handbook, just to see what all was done to get to the 1000HP. Its interesting for sure and maybe I will delve into some of that.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts