Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about engines, so please forgive me if this is a wild goose chase.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

has a supercharger kit for the 2.2 Ecotec, retail $3388.00, sales price $2845.92. Can this be used on the 2.4 found in the Solstice? Is the kit actually available now?

The part number is 17800003. That's 4 zeroes in the middle.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
I know nothing about engines, so please forgive me if this is a wild goose chase.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

has a supercharger kit for the 2.2 Ecotec, retail $3388.00, sales price $2845.92. Can this be used on the 2.4 found in the Solstice? Is the kit actually available now?

The part number is 17800003. That's 4 zeroes in the middle.

The answer is NO, there would be to many mods to make it work etc...
Wait for GM or SEMA, there should be some announcements by the end of next week.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The charger should mount up to the engine correctly but there are too many other issues that would stop it.

The engine orientation would put the intake of the Supercharger almost into the firewall area. The 2.2L ECOTEC has a 10:1 CR instead of 10.4:1 CR. The engine recalibration is designed for the 2.2L only. There might not be enough space on that side of the engine for it to fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
brentil said:
The charger should mount up to the engine correctly but there are too many other issues that would stop it.

The engine orientation would put the intake of the Supercharger almost into the firewall area. The 2.2L ECOTEC has a 10:1 CR instead of 10.4:1 CR. The engine recalibration is designed for the 2.2L only. There might not be enough space on that side of the engine for it to fit.
If pontiac doesn't come out with a supercharged version, you might be able to fit an engine from a Saturn Redline Ion, and use the Saturn ecu for calibration. If Andy Mallet can shoehorn a Ls1 into a Solstice, I find it hard to believe that I couldn't find room for a blower on the 4 cylinder. You would only need 6 inches or less from the firewall to fit a "U" bend. If necessary, you might find the space by "denting" the firewall.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Russ Bellinis said:
If pontiac doesn't come out with a supercharged version, you might be able to fit an engine from a Saturn Redline Ion, and use the Saturn ecu for calibration. If Andy Mallet can shoehorn a Ls1 into a Solstice, I find it hard to believe that I couldn't find room for a blower on the 4 cylinder. You would only need 6 inches or less from the firewall to fit a "U" bend. If necessary, you might find the space by "denting" the firewall.
The RKSport SEMA car has a SC with 5PSi generating 245HP, see the SEMA pictures posted on the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LatinVenom said:
The RKSport SEMA car has a SC with 5PSi generating 245HP, see the SEMA pictures posted on the forum.
Did they get a C.A.R.B. eo#, if it doesn't have one it will be illegal in Cali. for any car driven on the street. A lot of companies come out with neat stuff, but if they don't make it smog legal, we can't use it in Cali.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Russ Bellinis said:
Did they get a C.A.R.B. eo#, if it doesn't have one it will be illegal in Cali. for any car driven on the street. A lot of companies come out with neat stuff, but if they don't make it smog legal, we can't use it in Cali.
RKSport is based out of Cal. so I would assume that would be in their plans...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Russ Bellinis said:
A quick solution for you in CA would be to buy a wrecked Cobalt SS with 205hp, S/C 2.0 Ecotec, swap the engines and you should be good to go (as long as you use a 2006 Cobalt) Sure you might have to "move" the inner fender liner but you were going to add 3" spacers to front hubs and fender flares anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, it's not a specifically designed bolt on. It does say fabrication and tuning required. But I see no reason for it not to work once you do all that. Mostly it would be plumbing fabrication.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
thine_èan said:
Well, it's not a specifically designed bolt on. It does say fabrication and tuning required. But I see no reason for it not to work once you do all that. Mostly it would be plumbing fabrication.
The price of this system plus fabrication would be to costly, the tuning if you want to get more than 6PSi is what is the problem. ATI feels it needs a few months with this car in order to come out with a good system, and as of this time they are not ready to make that investment.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
A quick solution for you in CA would be to buy a wrecked Cobalt SS with 205hp, S/C 2.0 Ecotec, swap the engines and you should be good to go (as long as you use a 2006 Cobalt) Sure you might have to "move" the inner fender liner but you were going to add 3" spacers to front hubs and fender flares anyway.
Unfortunately the LSJ engine was not designed to fit into a RWD layout car. The 2.4L VVT ECOTEC was supposedly specially designed to work in RWD/FWD engine bays and has some of its parts developed to work in either orientation. It could probably be done, but not without having parts fabbed or altered I bet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For what its worth, my Ecotec in my Grand Am is supercharged, 2.2L from RSM. I know the owner is working on a Vortec setup for the 2.4 but that was in a HHR & I dunno if it'll fit in a Solstice. With the GXP version eventually coming, I doubt any manufacturer will put much into development for the Solstice.

If anything I'd go with a 2.0 Eco from a Saturn/Cobalt. Likely a cleaner install, less problem and GM will be offering Stage 1 and II packages in the spring.:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you're going to do it, do it right with a modern V8.

It will be a good amount of money to just hit 300 horsepower out of the little four banger.

A bone stock LS1 will give you 350 horses right out of the box, go with a mild heads/cam package and end up with 450 horses, add a turbo or supercharger and max out the bottom end with 600 horsepower. Install forged pistons and bottom end and end up with 800+ horse power, etc…

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The LS1 is literally the modern-day 350 with tons of cheap parts and tons of aftermarket support: Putting tons of money into a 4 cylinder doesn't make a lot of sense when a V8 conversion is possible.

check this out, fresh rebuilt 425 horse LS1 $4,500:
ebay special

A $1,300 T56 6-speed tranny ebay special

·
Registered
905 Posts
Bradyb, you're the one that convinced me to go the V8 route :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a huge difference in torque and power band between 350hp in a 4 banger and 350hp in a V8.

What "bottom end" work are you referring to? The bottom end of the LS1 is freaking bullet proof. If there's a weak point it might be the rods. But you stated pistons seperately from "bottom end", implying something else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.