Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I'm almost done. From initial purchase to shipping to install it's been around 3 months. I am sitting in my car right now working on the trifecta tune. The car starts, but then begins idling rough. I've sent the datalog to them for the next step. I guess we'll see. I can't keep getting my hopes up... This has been anything from joyous to frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
I know the feeling.

You are not running the standard DDM tune ?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the feeling.

You are not running the standard DDM tune ?
They were not able to get it programmed, so they sent me a trifecta cable. As of right now both trifecta tunes have been worse than starting the vehicle with the factory tune. Vince is working with me though. I haven't lost all hope. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
I have not previously heard of them not being able to tune it at all. Did you have a Trifeca tune prior to the SC installation ?

The factory tune actually seemed to do quite well until I hit about 4500 RPM, then everything shut down.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not previously heard of them not being able to tune it at all. Did you have a Trifeca tune prior to the SC installation ?

The factory tune actually seemed to do quite well until I hit about 4500 RPM, then everything shut down.
They were not able to tune my 2009. According to Dave it had a different build date of 10/10/2008 than most others he's done.

Got the car running using the first tune. I may have found the leak. It was the intake manifold pipe. it was not sealed with a gasket, so I used some rtv sealant. Now it started up and is idling when it used to be horrible. just waiting on vince for the next tune.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
OSUCherokee: They were not able to tune my 2009. According to Dave it had a different build date of 10/10/2008 than most others he's done.

Got the car running using the first tune. I may have found the leak. It was the intake manifold pipe. it was not sealed with a gasket, so I used some rtv sealant. Now it started up and is idling when it used to be horrible. just waiting on vince for the next tune.
Strange, and a little disturbing, that the build date would make that much difference.

Odd about the intake pipe. I assume you are referring to the pipe that bolts on where the throttle body was. Mine was sealed with an o-ring laid into a groove in the manifold.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange, and a little disturbing, that the build date would make that much difference.

Odd about the intake pipe. I assume you are referring to the pipe that bolts on where the throttle body was. Mine was sealed with an o-ring laid into a groove in the manifold.
I thought so as well. I'm grasping at straws here... I got the electric fan put back in this evening. I took the fuel rail and injectors out to check them. They seem fine. Vince seems to think it's not getting enough fuel. I think this whole thing is extremely bizarre. Why will it run smoothly enough to drive with the factory tune, but jumps and jitters and is immobile with the "custom tune"? I've done all I can do on the consumer end at this point. I've gone over the entire car numerous times and all signs point to bad tune.

I'm waiting till tomorrow to speak with Dave, so that I can relay the correct information to Vince at Trifecta.

I'm exhausted... and I miss driving my car.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
I feel your pain, and wish you the best luck going forward.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Hang in there. These cars are truly limited production and hand built so have some unique character. For example I learned that my model year 07 car has 08 production parts on it, like the steering wheel wiring. An 09 steering wheel will go on my 07 but will not fit MMs 07 which was built a couple of months before mine

They have been working on my tune for several months and just this week ( fingers crossed) got it fixed. One of the problems they chased for weeks was surging at cruise settings. It turned out to be a discontinuity in the timing data between two tables. Once they smoothed the data it was fixed.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hang in there. These cars are truly limited production and hand built so have some unique character. For example I learned that my model year 07 car has 08 production parts on it, like the steering wheel wiring. An 09 steering wheel will go on my 07 but will not fit MMs 07 which was built a couple of months before mine

They have been working on my tune for several months and just this week ( fingers crossed) got it fixed. One of the problems they chased for weeks was surging at cruise settings. It turned out to be a discontinuity in the timing data between two tables. Once they smoothed the data it was fixed.
I'm not sure I can hold the wife off much longer.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts

It has to do with the operating systems that the stock ECM is running. GM changes the operating systems on the ECM pretty regularly throughout the build cycle. The particular operating system that he has in the stock ECM is something that HPtuners had not seen before, which means that it could not be flashed with HPtuners.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't spoken to Dave about it yet, but I am suspecting that the fuel could be the issue. I had not read about running 91 octane for two tanks prior to use. It had about half a tank of 87 octane, 10% ethanol. I filled the rest up with 91 and added some octane booster. I am concerned that it may not be enough of good gas to burn properly. Perhaps that's why it's misfiring and running lean.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
[email protected] : It has to do with the operating systems that the stock ECM is running. GM changes the operating systems on the ECM pretty regularly throughout the build cycle. The particular operating system that he has in the stock ECM is something that HPtuners had not seen before, which means that it could not be flashed with HPtuners.
Thanks Dave. Always nice to learn something new. Would it be possible to replace the ECM with an older one ? Or does that create some sort of mismatch with the rest of the network ?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I haven't spoken to Dave about it yet, but I am suspecting that the fuel could be the issue. I had not read about running 91 octane for two tanks prior to use. It had about half a tank of 87 octane, 10% ethanol. I filled the rest up with 91 and added some octane booster. I am concerned that it may not be enough of good gas to burn properly. Perhaps that's why it's misfiring and running lean.
I've had an issue with bad gas - right after winter storage. Only one time. Water seperation can be a bad thing. Easily resoved with Octane boost tho.

There have been many times I have had to resort to 87 and octane boost, and it has not been a problem. Good luck - hope it gets resolved soon.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had an issue with bad gas - right after winter storage. Only one time. Water seperation can be a bad thing. Easily resoved with Octane boost tho.

There have been many times I have had to resort to 87 and octane boost, and it has not been a problem. Good luck - hope it gets resolved soon.
I just pulled the first plug as per Dave's advice. It's pretty carboned up. Starting to look like a fuel injector issue. I've checked the connections. They are all plugged in nice and snug.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
It has to do with the operating systems that the stock ECM is running. GM changes the operating systems on the ECM pretty regularly throughout the build cycle. The particular operating system that he has in the stock ECM is something that HPtuners had not seen before, which means that it could not be flashed with HPtuners.
Mine has the same issue. HP tuning does not support the OS on my current ECM

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
Is it possible that the tune doesn't "know " that you have bigger injectors installed?

Most problems, air leaks, wrong MAP sensor, loose connections, would seem more likely to cause lean running.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it possible that the tune doesn't "know " that you have bigger injectors installed?

Most problems, air leaks, wrong MAP sensor, loose connections, would seem more likely to cause lean running.
No. Vince at Trifecta made sure to verify with me that I have the larger injectors.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update:

pulled the injectors out, verified connections. All good. Went back to factory tune. Starts and idles nice. Drove it around the block, all good till getting over 4k and goes into limp mode. Shut it off. Start it up. Drove it home.

I just don't understand how factory tune it will start up and be good enough to drive, and when the custom tune is applied it barely starts and can't be driven. Surely it's just a problem with tuning my vehicle.

If it can't be tuned, then what? The Solstice is my primary vehicle. It feels like I'm not getting anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know how frustrating this must be. I was in a similar situation until just a few days ago. Its weird that your engine went into limp mode with the stock tune. Have you scanned your car for any codes?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts