Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For any of you who have followed the progression of the Quad-4, through to the TwinCam, all the way to the completely re-designed EcoTec... you know that GM has always offered performance parts upgrades for them. In particular, anyone who owns a 1996-1998 Grand Am or 1996-2002 J-body knows that GM offered a SuperCharger kit, from GM Performance Parts that you could install into your car. The total cost was $2,500 bucks. It's actually still available. And during the time that those cars would have actually still been under warranty, they said that these modifications would not hinder your warranty.

The 2.4 TwinCam SuperCharger upgrade added 50 horsepower to an otherwise stock 150hp TwinCam.

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of, or know of any intention to sell a SuperCharger as an aftermarket upgrade to the 2.4 VVT EcoTec?

And, if not... does anyone know if the cyl head ports of the 2.4 VVT are identical to the 2.0 SC? (which of course would mean that the S/C from a 2.0 could be bolted onto the 2.4 and require nothing more than a new pulley set and a computer tune).

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice (On Order)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT (For Sale!)
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE WS6
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (hippie bus)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I would personally love to see a GM Performance Parts Supercharger/Turbocharger kit. I would buy it in a heart beat.

However... The main flaw stopping it from ever happening is the engines compression ratio. The older engine they made the Supercharger kit for was running a 10:1 CR, compared to the 2.4L VVT's 10.6:1 CR. It would require a kit that has an intercooler to deal with boosting an engine with a much higher CR without creating knock. If I remember correctly the older kit doesn't come with an intercooler. The problem too is the older Quad-4 cars didn't have a forced induction high performance version already, so GM had this kit. If all the rumors are true we're looking at the release of a forced induction Solstice/Sky sometime late next year or early 2007. My fear is GM's going to look at it like "Well we have this forced induction version, if people want more power they buy that model" and complete forget about making an addon for the base engine.

I expect to see other performance parts like GM makes for the 2.2L ECOTEC now though. They seem to be making the 2.4L VVT engine into the new high performance NA engine for their ECOTEC lin-up of cars. Being the performance NA engine I would expect some GM Performance Parts for it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brentil said:
I expect to see other performance parts like GM makes for the 2.2L ECOTEC now though. They seem to be making the 2.4L VVT engine into the new high performance NA engine for their ECOTEC lin-up of cars. Being the performance NA engine I would expect some GM Performance Parts for it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. You make a good point and that certainly makes sense. Do you know if there are any parts planned for imediate availability when the cars are available? Any insight as to what might be coming? Perhaps a free-er flowing intake manifold or exhaust manifold.

And as far as a SuperCharger upgrade... do you happen to know if the intake ports are identical on the 2.0S/C as they are to the ones on the 2.4 VVT?

Because, if they are... then a SuperCharger upgrade would certainly be possible. I completely agree with you on the 10.6:1 compression (something that had completely slipped my mind). However, even with a 10.6:1, you'd still be able to safely use maybe a 4psi of boost, correct? Or is that still too much? I know the aftermarket kit for the TwinCam was a 6-psi of boost. Only difference would be that you'd need a slightly larger diameter supercharger pulley to reduce the amount of cycles.

More than likely, if the SuperCharger can actually physicically BOLT onto the 2.4 VVT cyl head, then you can expect companies like Manta Parts www.mantapart.com to offer a computer tune and a complete kit. (Of course, for probably $1,000 bucks more than what GM would charge.... but I guess you'd be paying for the R&D also...).

Anything else you have to add about future upgrades for the 2.4 that you know of I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks!!

Todd,
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
82-T/A said:
Do you know if there are any parts planned for imediate availability when the cars are available?
You don't read the forums too much do you? I forgot what it was but someone discovered a few items that should be available at release. I know along with the chrome wheels a cat-back will be offered as well as some sort of suspension kit and also an intake I think.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GM will have a cat-back exhaust system, some sort of intake system, and a sport suspension package available supposedly when the EOP cars get delivered. Besides that anyhting else I say is pure speculation. Like that I hope they make perofrmance parts for it like they've been mkaing for the 2.2L ECOTEC.

I don't have the information to give you the answers you want about the engines, but I've attached 3 images of each one from the same point of view (2.2L, 2.4L VVT, 2.0L Supercharged). You can also get their specific tech brochures here (very bottom of the page);
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/ecotec/index.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
My dealer said one would be available later on through GM parts (I didn't even bring it up), so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
GM will just release a performance version of the Sol' next year with a turbo with about 245 horses.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brentil said:
I don't have the information to give you the answers you want about the engines, but I've attached 3 images of each one from the same point of view (2.2L, 2.4L VVT, 2.0L Supercharged). You can also get their specific tech brochures here (very bottom of the page);
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/ecotec/index.htm

Honestly, basing this just on the pictures you attached... the pulley system is nearly identical on all three motors.

If this holds true through production, there's no reason why the SuperCharger and pulley system from the 2.0 S/C won't bolt right to the 2.4 VVT version. (assuming of course that the ports are the same).

I mean, the alternator is the same, the belt tensioner is in the same location... everything looks good.

The ONLY thing you would need at this point would be a computer tune so the computer would be able to handle the boost.

What you're saying about the compression is right.

I don't have much experience with turbos... only turbo motor I've ever owned was my 83 240 Turbo Wagon. But... assuming that you increased the diameter of the pulley, you could lower the boost. Hell, if I got even just 30 more mild horsepower out of the motor... I would be thrilled.

Todd,
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
30hp more than 99% of the Solstices on the road would be very :cool:

...and 5 more than that would be even better :thumbs:

·
Registered
381 Posts
82-T/A said:
Honestly, basing this just on the pictures you attached... the pulley system is nearly identical on all three motors.
Are those other motors transverse mount (FWD) or longitudinal mount (RWD)? I imagine that might make a difference in accessories & accessory drives.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WaitingForBoost said:
Are those other motors transverse mount (FWD) or longitudinal mount (RWD)? I imagine that might make a difference in accessories & accessory drives.

Good point, that hadn't occured to me.

They all are the FWD versions that are in those pics.

However, I doubt (hope) that they wouldn't redesign the engine thing simply because it was turned 90 degrees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts