Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not the one to post stupid info, but I figured id pass along the info. :confused:

This is quoted from another forum im on:

" Well my father works at the plant they are building them at. They have ran a few test models off, but today they actually started production. Sounds like cars will be hitting stores soon enough."

" I havent really got to talk to him yet, he works in welding, so its early on in production. I know the hoods were having some problems, but im assuming they will get 20-40 cars a shift done(i think thats what it was in the past). everyone has to get used to building again. Ill keep you updated when i hear more from him."

Note: Please no one tell me production has been delayed or production isnt suppose to start till may 16th or 31st or year 2010. I know I know im just passing along info :leaving:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Billabongi said:
Im not the one to post stupid info, but I figured id pass along the info. :confused:

" Well my father works at the plant they are building them at. They have ran a few test models off, but today they actually started production. Sounds like cars will be hitting stores soon enough."

" I havent really got to talk to him yet, he works in welding, so its early on in production. I know the hoods were having some problems, but im assuming they will get 20-40 cars a shift done(i think thats what it was in the past). everyone has to get used to building again. Ill keep you updated when i hear more from him."

Note: Please no one tell me production has been delayed or production isnt suppose to start till may 16th or 31st or year 2010. I know I know im just passing along info :leaving:
When was this information posted on that other forum. Was it before or after they halted production?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Billabongi said:

Could be an interpretation error - there is a difference between building "cars that can be sold" (GM's terminology for these cars is "saleable", vs. "non-saleable") versus "cars that are being built to fill production orders".

Download from a conversation with a person that has been involved in many vehicle launches/startups:

Generally, when they build vehicles to fill outstanding production orders, this step is called "start of production" or "start of regular production". When a plant begins building these, THEN they have started production.

BUT, they will hold onto these first "real deal" cars and look them over - even after start of production. When GM is satisfied, they decide to load them on the trucks and actually ship them to dealers. This decision, in GM terminology, is called "Ship to Commerce". THEN, about 1-2 weeks later the cars start getting to dealerships.

If the info you found is correct - it looks like they have taken the important step to make cars "as if they COULD be sold". HOWEVER - ANY MAJOR HICCUP could stop these cars from being built at any time, and they could delay producing them to fix such hiccups.

Thanks, bill', for the info :thumbs:

PS - what is the other forum?

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Billabongi said:

We need his father's phone number! :crazy:

·
Registered
905 Posts
This is good news, even if they haven't started full blown production at least they are in Final Beta.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
WOW, that SKY Redline is sharp. I like it better than the Solstice but I bet it will cost a bit more. Any idea what it will be going for?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Lol, getting worried Solsticeman? :willy: Maybe there is a little competition out there??
Not at all, Slip - I try to make a circuit every couple of weeks on several sites, and missed this one. Only visit Club GP once a month or so... since I had not seen the info yet, I figured it was somewhere I hadn't been in a while.

Content travels a LOT, I noticed. Many of Delaware Buddy's and 2KWK4U pictures showed up at C&G, crosslinked from Pennock's Fiero Forum, for example.

Club GP was the first source for the Copper Mountain pics- another example - more info is more info. The more you have the more you can piece together. These tidbits from FOAF or FOAP (Father of a Poster :lol: ) piece together to tell a story.

I'm also a fan of credit where credit is due - helps get to the root information. Example: somewhere the rumor of a Sunfire Kappa was generated - it was reposted here, and made the rounds - eventually becoming enough of a rumor for Motor Trend to publish it. HOWEVER - when it was finally traced back to the source (by myself and several other people from other forums), it originated as a "semi speculation that became fact" at GMI. In the end, there was NO substance.

I thought it was unfortunate that a poster at another nameless forum reposted GA73's pictures and took credit for them - until I straighted it out at that other forum through PM, and the info was eventually just removed (I just wanted the poster's info edited to identify the source... they decided it would tick off too many people so they ditched the thread entirely).

The info from clubgp fits in here too - even if it isn't exactly correct, once you take it in context with the rest of the information, statisically you can sort out 80% of the story without a "deep throat" contact.

Of course, these contacts can help ;)

Competition is a good thing. Some people here are not always happy with the forum or it's members (see the satisfaction survey stuck to the top of the site help forum) - and we are always trying to make this forum a better place. There's always room for improvement, and some room for cooperation between enthusiast forums.

Besides, I don't own this site, nor do I get paid to participate. Maybe Troy is worried about competition. I doubt it, but maybe he is.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think the same pics are showing up again possibly from a different forum, see post on new pics.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've pm'd with that guy a couple of times over the past year. The source is real. "production", as noted above, could refer to a couple of different situations. Definately good news, but don't expect them on the lots next weekend...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im a former GP owner "like 2 weeks ago" and I know audioimages is a current GP owner. So anyinfo posted over there will get posted here in a pretty hurry Id imagine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Production could also refer to the 30 + or - cars that were on display last weekend and are somewhere in Michigan as I type.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It'll Happen

I keep fantasizing about a phone call from the sales guy at my dealership, "You're not going to believe it," he says sometime around June 20 or so. "What?" I'll say, keeping my expectations down despite my heart leaping through my throat. "Your car just arrived," he'll say. "DON"T TOUCH IT, I'll be right there!"

Maybe just a fantasy--at least regarding the date. Either way, that call's going to come, my heart will be leaping through my throat. I already have the route planned out--a long route--for how I'll drive home in my new car. The old one will just sit back at the dealership for a while.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts