Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you surprised that the Solstice is garnering rave reviews by the US automotive media?

A year ago there was much talk of the anti-Domestic bias among moto-journalists, especially from those who would become the moderators. But there were many others who thought the Solstice would be scrutinized and criticised by the anti-domestic US automags.

So are you surpised that every review has been screamingly positive? I'm not. I always felt the car would be graded on its own merit or lack thereof.

Frankly, I don't see an anti-domestic bias in among US auto journalists. They seem to like to nit-pick every car. Every car gets complaints. If the domestics get more scrutiny and criticism - and I agree that they do - I think it is because the US rag writers have higher expectation for domestic products because they want them to be better than foreign cars. So when a great domestic car comes to market, they are only too happy to praise it.

So is anybody really surprised to see the Solstice being adored by the US automotive press?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yes, I AM surprised. I thought the articles would be at least tinged with skepticism (sp?) or that they would harp on the car's weak points a little more than they have.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Without going too far out on this, had the Solstice been less visually appealing, I think they would have been far harsher. As they're noticing different failings (minor or major), they're forced to return to the overwhelming observation that, "Damn, that's a sexy looking car!" It forces the reviewer to be far kinder when mentioning things like the trunk size, roof operation, acceleration, etc. And the knowledge that the public encountered when testing the car feels the same, probably forces them to take some of the edges off their barbs.

·
2,574 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Yes, I AM surprised. I thought the articles would be at least tinged with skepticism (sp?) or that they would harp on the car's weak points a little more than they have.
I think the beef the media has with Detroit is that they never do it right or well. Given that the shortcomings are petty stuff that can be addressed, I think there may be serious consensus building that Pontiac has done something brilliant. Seems like it would be suicide for a writer to swim upstream on this now and just maybe, and I'd rather believe, they're rootin for the home team to finally hit a homer (which they did, a mighty grand slam). Something's up when you see headlines like "Solstice Rocks" in giant print on the cover of "Automobile" magazine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts