Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Forum
1st of all I hope whenever you are it's warmed up enough for you to get out and enjoy your vehicles today
Ok so I have a question. I have an OEM mesh wind restrict or and I would like to know if I can switch to a logo light up WR.
The mesh one has posts that hold it onto the silver painted rear trim.
I assume that would need to be replaced if I wanted a WR instead.

Cheers

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/...tice/D042EB5D-BADA-4F48-8E84-3B0DDFBC7618.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Depends,
You could leave the mounting points for the factory fly shatter and just install the Windrestrictor. Or you can repair / replace the silver tulip lanel trim piece.

The type 2 WR mates to the waterfall.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Depends,
You could leave the mounting points for the factory fly shatter and just install the Windrestrictor. Or you can repair / replace the silver tulip lanel trim piece.

The type 2 WR mates to the waterfall.
Meaning they do not mount in the same manner or the same location. So to answer your question, yes you can easily change over to a lighted windrestrictor. what you do with the flyswatter and holes through the panel is up to you. And DAMMIT, it;s still not warm enough here and there is still way to much snow to take the sol out!

Bert

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Meaning they do not mount in the same manner or the same location. So to answer your question, yes you can easily change over to a lighted windrestrictor. what you do with the flyswatter and holes through the panel is up to you. And DAMMIT, it;s still not warm enough here and there is still way to much snow to take the sol out!

Bert
:agree:

And it was 70 here today. Snow on Tuesday :willy::willy:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Heck, you could run both at the same time. :willy:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the holes in place for flyswatter but have a WR in place.

I have been looking for a local trade. My trim panel and flyswatter for your panel and a couple bucks, nothing yet.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a factory restricter. (lol, flyswatter)

Anyone have a link or a photo? Maybe a GM part number?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! Let me know if I can help.
Also, the weather is slowly improving (here at least) and I'm looking into a WR.

I definitely would want something that I can pull off and put the top down without unscrewing stuff. Is that version 2? I know I can leave it on with the top down but I don't want to since I'm probably getting a smoked color. And I don't want to leave it on. :)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Also, the weather is slowly improving (here at least) and I'm looking into a WR.

I definitely would want something that I can pull off and put the top down without unscrewing stuff. Is that version 2? I know I can leave it on with the top down but I don't want to since I'm probably getting a smoked color. And I don't want to leave it on. :)
I'm assuming you meant leaving on with the top UP? Kinda pointless to take a wind restrictor off with the top down, isn't it?

I have the WR version 2 and it is effective. Member Northernsol and others here with the GM version say it is also effective and they are very happy with it. Some like the WR for convenience in leaving it up, the artwork options and the illumination options. Some aren't interested in the additional "bling" factor. Some don't care for the reflections the WR creates. Some don't care for looking through the mesh of the "fly swatter".

As for functionality I think they both work well, though I haven't done a "side by side" comparison. Dunno if anybody else has also.

Anybody got time to get to a wind tunnel, run some smoke and record a video for the rest of us?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Oh, and the WR version 2 is held in place with velcro so you can peel it off. I believe they also sell a storage bag for the version 1 - which I assume you could use for the version 2. Hit 'em up on their website, they have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Some aren't interested in the additional "bling" factor.
Funny you say that, because that is what my wife said........at first, then I made the mistake of showing her the WR site:willy:

:lol:

Now it's a cage match(rhetorically speaking of course) on what we are going to get, but we are getting close----I hope.

Bert

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Thank you! Hmmm...that looks kinda cool to me. Does it do ~anything~ for the wind though?
This is what I have. It has the wife's "hair don't move" seal of approval. It also reduces noise. I leave mine on all the time....top up or down. It also works with the GM tonneau.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Funny you say that, because that is what my wife said........at first, then I made the mistake of showing her the WR site:willy:

:lol:

Now it's a cage match(rhetorically speaking of course) on what we are going to get, but we are getting close----I hope.

Bert
Oh, I remember that fateful day also. "This is the basic model. Then for x amount more we can get it engrave."

"Okay".

"For x amount more we can have it lit up."

"Okay"

"For x amount more, we can tie it into the brake lights and parking lights."

"Okay"

"For x amount more, we can have it engraved with anything you want."

"Okay"

"You know you're at about 400 bucks now."

"I'm good with that."

"God help me...."

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I'm assuming you meant leaving on with the top UP? Kinda pointless to take a wind restrictor off with the top down, isn't it?
LOL, yeah, sorry. I was thinking it comes off in the UP direction and goes on in the DOWN direction. Language is so confusing. Kinda like - if I turn the AC up, does it get hotter or colder? :)

Thanks for the info! Velcro works! Was just hoping it didn't attach "permanently".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts