Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have a question regarding the use of the Pontiac logo and the use of Solstice and it's images in a t-shirt design. Can they be used? I have come up with a pretty cool t-shirt design that I'd like to produce, but obviously need to stay within the bounds of the rules. Anywho, before I posted the design on here, I wanted to see if anyone knew. Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
They are both trademarked images but if you are only using for yourself it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you are looking to mass produce a shirt with this images on them, then you would need a liscense from GM.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
As far as I know, new GM retained the rights to all things trademark, copyright, etc. even after Pontiac was killed.

Whether they are actively pursuing any infringements is something else, and that I don't know.

I'm sure a lot of help, aren't I? :willy::brentil:

Heck, you could mass produce a T-shirt with images on them, you wouldn't need a license until you sold one.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
There are venders including some on this forum that were taken to court by GM and forced to stop using the Pontiac logo. It also cost them a bunch of money.

If you build your own custom designed Sky / Sol logo, even if it looks similar to the existing ones, then you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are venders including some on this forum that were taken to court by GM and forced to stop using the Pontiac logo. It also cost them a bunch of money.

If you build your own custom designed Sky / Sol logo, even if it looks similar to the existing ones, then you should be ok.
I just don't get some of that stuff. I've been googling like crazy trying to find out how to "legally" produce a design to no avail. If these companies want to protect their images, why not make it easier to legally use them? That may be using too much common sense though. lol...

I was hoping to be able to sell shirts to members here. I'll go ahead and post the design and get a vote on if people would like one. I could always sell it at a not for profit price, with donations welcomed. :D

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
I just don't get some of that stuff. I've been googling like crazy trying to find out how to "legally" produce a design to no avail. If these companies want to protect their images, why not make it easier to legally use them? That may be using too much common sense though. lol...

I was hoping to be able to sell shirts to members here. I'll go ahead and post the design and get a vote on if people would like one. I could always sell it at a not for profit price, with donations welcomed. :D
If you started selling to members here then you would probably have to register as a vendor and pay the fees to the owner of SolsticeForum.com....

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
If you started selling to members here then you would probably have to register as a vendor and pay the fees to the owner of SolsticeForum.com....
He is a lifetime member so he could sell under that title as he is not selling in large quantities and if he donated a portion of the proceeds to a charity.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
He is a lifetime member so he could sell under that title as he is not selling in large quantities and if he donated a portion of the proceeds to a charity.
Isn't that why the "Supporting Member Guild" was created? Is it a requirement that a seller donate a portion of the proceeds to charity? I thought that there was an "or" associated with donation to a charity, rather than an "and"?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have a question regarding the use of the Pontiac logo and the use of Solstice and it's images in a t-shirt design. Can they be used? I have come up with a pretty cool t-shirt design that I'd like to produce, but obviously need to stay within the bounds of the rules. Anywho, before I posted the design on here, I wanted to see if anyone knew. Thanks!
Back to the original question. Couple month ago this question came in connection with hats, so I did some research. GM recently renewed the trademark rights for the Pontiac logo (the "arrow head") for all kinds of apparel, including T-shirts.
You could contact GM staff attorney responsible for the trademarks and ask for GM permission for limited logo use. Who knows, they may allow it without fee if you do it on non-profit bases for small number of t-shirts.
You can find trademark details and the name/address of the person here: PONTIAC - Reviews & Brand Information - GENERAL MOTORS LLC Detroit, MI - Serial Number: 78022261

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I would think contacting GM's PR department would be a first step. As several have stated here, if you're producing a limited number for the club or forum members, they may well waive any licensing fee. I would bet they would require a total number to be produced and other information.

A friend who is a huge Chicago Blackhawks fan and a guitarist wanted to paint a customized guitar with their logo, etc. He said the Blackhawks organization was great to deal with. They just wanted to confirm that he was making this for himself. The NHL (as you'd expect) was a lot more strict. How many were to be made? Was he going to sell any, etc.?

·
Registered
102 Posts
For a lot of reasons, GM has always been overly protective on trademarks, but will on a case by case basis work with individuals or small businesses even to include guitars shaped like '57 Chevy rear fenders. Google General Motors trademarks for additional guidance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts