Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Pontiac will utilize LED technology for the tailights? Seems like a great idea. I think I would love it, but I never had a car with them so I don't know if they are really as maintenance free as they say.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the test cars had them. When i say test cars i mean the ones that were wearing the black plastic camo before the official production news came out. I doubt it though the vette didn't even get them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Red LED's don't work that well with red tinted plastic. They're just not bright enough. But, if that's what you want, I bet one of the first things to be on the aftermarket is clear tail light lenses so you can use the replacement LED clusters available at most car parts stores. But my kids say, "That look is sooo nineties!" But what do they know! I think they might look good.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LED's would be cool, but it would surprise me if this car actually came with LED's at this price point. In that ic, they look like they could be LED's along the lines of a Cadillac LED light, but it may just be bubbled or colored plastic too.

Although its still not perfectly clear in these pics, it looks like the prototypes lenses would be using normal bulbs in them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Hey aawil, where did you get that spyshot?

Anybody notice anything missing? There is no scoop behind the front wheels, and the gas cap cover is gone.
Thats an old spy photo that was appearing in all the mags prior to GM's announcement they were building the Solstice, and prior to the debut of the production prototype in Detroit. The scoops were gone to make it look less like a Solstice to the spy photgraphers in an attempt to disguise it more since they didn't want any indication out there that they were going to produce it at that point.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Gas Cap

AztekzRpurty said:
Hey aawil, where did you get that spyshot?

Anybody notice anything missing? There is no scoop behind the front wheels, and the gas cap cover is gone.
Gas cap is on the driver's side.
I will post some pictures from the Dreamcruise tonight
to show that.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Thats an old spy photo that was appearing in all the mags prior to GM's announcement they were building the Solstice, and prior to the debut of the production prototype in Detroit. The scoops were gone to make it look less like a Solstice to the spy photgraphers in an attempt to disguise it more since they didn't want any indication out there that they were going to produce it at that point.
Ahhh, well then the tail lights may have been just something cobbled together or even purposely disguised.

I see the hole for the gas cap on the driver's side, Greatwhite, I just meant that it looks to be uncovered, without a flip door. Like the ones on (ahem) Azteks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting, from the spy photo and the pre-prod concept, we can see that they have contemplated both LED and traditional bulbs. I guess the LEDs probably do raise the cost of each car, and it doesn't really make that much difference, so I'm sure we'll get good old 1157s or something like that. I just think the LEDs are kind of cool looking when done like the or Caddilac or Infinity. Not a big fan of the clear courner aftermarket lenses though, won't be doing that.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts