Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)



Now I know it's already been mentioned in the CSC thread, but I was thinking that maybe we should just stick to our state/local meets for now, because I was definitely planning on getting something together on the Tail next SPRING.

I've never been there (on the Tail, persay) and I never really even knew about it until I came to this site. But now I am obsessed with the idea of having our first regional (SE) meet there. It's just baffles me because when I found out about it I noticed that the very end of the Tail is less than 15 minutes from the house my family has on Lake Santeetlah. We consider the local town to us there as Robinsville. If you go to the website above and scroll about halfway down the page, you'll see a picture with a bike photochopped into the doorway of a hotel and a blurb about the "Two Wheel Inn" which is in Robbinsville. Also you can check out the maps and see about where I am. If you click on the "Robbinsville Accommodations" map, our house is somewhere between Cheoah Point and the Thunderbird Cottage.

I really would like to get the whole SE Solstice chapter to meet there sometime in March or April.

We can discuss/organize any thoughts of said idea here.



 

·
LOST SOL
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
That looks like a great location. I am about 1 1/2 hrs closer (Savannah, GA) and it seems to be a location easy to get to. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I'll be out there in a few weeks. My first time in that area, and of course first time driving the dragon! I'm really excited. I think it would be a great place for a Solstice club meet :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I was thinking that if a regional get together does NOT happen, I'm still planning to see if I can swindle the keys to the house away from the family for a week or so. If I can manage to do so, I would love to invite a few of you to stay with me for a while. The house is 2 story/4 bedroom/2 bath and can comfortably sleep 7-8. More so if you don't mind sharing beds (with a significant other, obviously).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Better decide on a date and book reservations early. It's a very, very busy place during driving season. Among other places to stay there is a Microtell Inn in Robinsville and the Tapoco Lodge which is really the beginning of the Dragon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
i sent a pm to lillie. i may be able to go depending upon when the solstice arrives and my own personal schedule. i'll have to wait until the car comes in first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
so with our car eventually coming, the weather here in Wisconsin will be turning soon. We were going to head south to find some warm "top-down" weather---would this be a good destination for the end of October?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I would say end of October it would be kinda cold there. But what the hell do I know, I live in FL. You're from WI so you might wanna take some shorts as it may still be fairly warm for you. :jester:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,964 Posts
dori-san said:
Well, I would say end of October it would be kinda cold there. But what the hell do I know, I live in FL. You're from WI so you might wanna take some shorts as it may still be fairly warm for you. :jester:
Definitely a destination for a Wisconsinite-hands down. I've done the Smokies in late-late fall-it's nice, the bulk of the tourists have gone home to hibernate!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Lillie said:
I'll be there October 19-21 for a Lotus club meet. If anyone wants to join up with us and swap rides, let me know :)
Hmmm Elise, Solstice, Elise, Solstice I don't know that's a tough choice. ;)
 

·
LOST SOL
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
brentil said:
Hmmm Elise, Solstice, Elise, Solstice I don't know that's a tough choice. ;)
The Oct Consumer Reports was not too kind to the Elise ... but I'd still swap. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Tail

I sent away and received information in the mail from the tourist office in Robinsville. It includes a DVD of the area and of the Dragon. You actually drive the Dragon in the DVD. There are a couple of other tour roads in the area that look decent to drive too. For anybody that has been there, is Robinsville a good place to stay and base yourself?
Any recommendations for places to stay. My car may have come a couple weeks too late for this year but I still might go. The weather is turning colder and is probably an eight hour drive to get there. The trunk would not have room for our heavy coats. Really need that removable luggage rack bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GreatWhiteNorth said:
For anybody that has been there, is Robinsville a good place to stay and base yourself?
dori-san said:
the Tail is less than 15 minutes from the house my family has on Lake Santeetlah. We consider the local town to us there as Robinsville.
Uhh... I think I've been there. ;)

Seriously, Robbinsville is a VERY small town. Super quaint... 'Mayberry,' if you will. It's a nice place, but there's not ever much going on there. They've got a couple hotels (not really BIG ones though) more like Inns or B&B. And I think just RECENTLY (like, last 3 years or so) they finally got their 2nd fast food restaurant. For probably the better part of 10 years they ONLY had a Hardees. I think Hardees closed and turned to something else, although I can't remember what... and the second place is a Popeyes if I recall correctly.


GreatWhiteNorth said:
The weather is turning colder and is probably an eight hour drive to get there.
8 HOURS?!

You either DON'T live in Ontario, or you drive WAY too fast. :crazy: I live 3 states south and it takes me 8 hours to get there. You've gotta be lookin at AT LEAST twice the travel time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
The trunk would not have room for our heavy coats. Really need that removable luggage rack bad
Mail them...
Hehe, what a lot of distance hikers out here (I use to live in Yosemite ~ The Meadows) do is mail stuff ahead of themselves...pick stuff out that they need...then reseal the package and mail it to the next stop... :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
distance

dori-san said:
Uhh... I think I've been there. ;)

Seriously, Robbinsville is a VERY small town. Super quaint... 'Mayberry,' if you will. It's a nice place, but there's not ever much going on there. They've got a couple hotels (not really BIG ones though) more like Inns or B&B. And I think just RECENTLY (like, last 3 years or so) they finally got their 2nd fast food restaurant. For probably the better part of 10 years they ONLY had a Hardees. I think Hardees closed and turned to something else, although I can't remember what... and the second place is a Popeyes if I recall correctly.


8 HOURS?!

You either DON'T live in Ontario, or you drive WAY too fast. :crazy: I live 3 states south and it takes me 8 hours to get there. You've gotta be lookin at AT LEAST twice the travel time.
guess you are right, when we drove to Florida, it would take us 12 hours to get to Knoxville. OK, so where do you recommend staying for a few days?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
SolsticeWolf said:
I'm in for the Dragon next spring. Actually I want to make it up there this year if my car gets here before the road conditions get hazardous.

Same here. Hope something gets organized for the spring, I'll be there. Like Dori, learned about the Dragon here and have been kind of preoccupied with checking it out next spring. I'm going one way or the other and would obviously much prefer the company of everyone here who can join in. Let's do it! :yesnod:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
I learned about the Dragon in my dark years as a Miata owner :lol: . I also would like to run the Dragon but not until next year when I have more miles on my car and understand it's handling quirks a little better. I only have 2200+ miles on my car and I still haven't found the point when my car says it's not going to hold onto the road any longer. I'd really like to know that before I run the Dragon, not only for my car's health but mine also. Let's go for a spring get together so more Forum members can plan ahead for the weekend.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top