Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cuss: This says it all. Just had to replace one of the taillight bulb in the wife's coupe. I did the other side about a year ago and now the opposite side. I simply can't believe they engineered a vehicle that requires you to pull the wheel and half the inner fender well and get filthy dirty just to get up to the release nuts. I assume it is the same process for the roadster. Anyone ever heard a reason why it was not designed better?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Nope. The roadster you can get at the nuts thru the trunk. Can't do it in the coupe because of the roofline.

Oh, and I put in LED tails so that I will hopefully never need to do it again...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
:cuss: This says it all. Just had to replace one of the taillight bulb in the wife's coupe. I did the other side about a year ago and now the opposite side. I simply can't believe they engineered a vehicle that requires you to pull the wheel and half the inner fender well and get filthy dirty just to get up to the release nuts. I assume it is the same process for the roadster. Anyone ever heard a reason why it was not designed better?
When you raise the rear with a floor jack under the diff carrier, do the wheels drop down far enough to reach in and pop off the back of the splash shield with jack stands supporting the chassis?

·
Registered
406 Posts
When you raise the rear with a floor jack under the diff carrier, do the wheels drop down far enough to reach in and pop off the back of the splash shield with jack stands supporting the chassis?
that would really depend on your jack :dunno:

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
No. You need to really pull back that splash shield to get in there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately I have a good low profile jack for my car and compressor so pulled hers into my side and got after it. Trying fight around the wheel was not even worth thinking about for 5 lug nuts with pneumatic. Only about a 10-15 minute job but still a dirty pain in the a$$ for a stupid bulb. It seems to me there should have been access from the trunk. But we got what we got. Next time I'll look into the led ones.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Fortunately I have a good low profile jack for my car and compressor so pulled hers into my side and got after it. Trying fight around the wheel was not even worth thinking about for 5 lug nuts with pneumatic. Only about a 10-15 minute job but still a dirty pain in the a$$ for a stupid bulb. It seems to me there should have been access from the trunk. But we got what we got. Next time I'll look into the led ones.
How about using an air chuck and blowing air up in there. You are torqueing the lug nuts in that 15 minute time frame. You get that clay dust where you're at?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the wife's car so it's her job to clean it. I pulled out the white glove after the first time she washed it and damn near about lost the side of my head. I decided right then and there that I was not prepared to broach the wheel well, let alone behind it, territory. Now on my car, you can eat off the wheel well after I clean it. And that's probably where I'd stil be eating 3 years later if I had moved into that territory. And yes I retired the white glove.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS. When a front turn signal bulb went out, I had to remove THE ENTIRE FRONT FACIA to replace it. Needless to say, I replaced all of the the other bulbs at the same time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS. When a front turn signal bulb went out, I had to remove THE ENTIRE FRONT FACIA to replace it. Needless to say, I replaced all of the the other bulbs at the same time.
Great, the wife just bought a new 2012 CTS.:cryin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts