Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been agonizing over the puny trunk space and wheather I can really live without a useful trunk, so I thought of a way to test my readyness. It's simple, find a box or container of some sort that amounts to 2 cubic feet and put it in the trunk of your current vehicle. Then only use it and the passenger seat to put stuff in for a couple of months. All items must be fully contained in the 2cf box, no fair leaving the top of the box open and leting things hang out. By the time the Solstice actually is ready to order, I should have an idea of life without storage space. :cheers

P.S.- The amount of questionable space afforded by the top being up, I look at as a bonus and not regularly usable space. If you feel otherwise, find another box that represents that space too. (Flat and wide)

·
4,592 Posts
That sounds like the old experiment:
If you're not sure you're ready for a baby, carry around a flour sack for a week pretending it's your baby................. :glol

Actually, I'm going to try this, why, it wil be interesting to see how a 2 foot square box will compare to the MSM, while it sits in the MSM :smile

·
Registered
154 Posts
2 cu. ft. both ways

So do we make the box the shape of an upside down bathtub or an 8" dia tube 48" long? (maybe make sure it fits in either.)
I may have to make a bag or two that fit tight in the space available after I get the car. But my main hope is that a hang up bag fits under the top, but on top of that hump. If that's the case. I can handle it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For now I'm just using one of those clear plastic tubs with the flap top that you can get at Home Depot for about 4-5 bucks. It's a little small but it works out to about 1.95 cf. I'll switch if I find something better. By the way RODEO, I think I can put about 3 sacks of flour in the box, so does that mean the Solstice would be a great family car? :lol

·
4,592 Posts
AeroDave said:
By the way RODEO, I think I can put about 3 sacks of flour in the box, so does that mean the Solstice would be a great family car? :lol
NICE! I think you just figured out the solution for those family guys and gals who have a hard time justifying a 2 seater :lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's a brilliant idea, I will actually do it. Then one day will come along when I have a bunch of stuff and throw the box away, I know it will happen. If I had the real car, I'd just deal with it or call a friend with a practical ride (and owe them a beer).

:cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Why 4 cubic foot box? If you really needed the storage room in a pinch, you would just drive with the top up!

I think I already too the test. My Fiero doesn't have much more space than the Sol, and I rarely come close to needing all its trunk capacity. Usually its half filled with Fiero parts, which I won't need to have in a new Sol! :lol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fformula88 said:
Why 4 cubic foot box? If you really needed the storage room in a pinch, you would just drive with the top up!

I think I already too the test. My Fiero doesn't have much more space than the Sol, and I rarely come close to needing all its trunk capacity. Usually its half filled with Fiero parts, which I won't need to have in a new Sol! :lol
I thought about the 4cf box, but 1) since I would like to enjoy this car top down I would try to live with 2cf for now 2) the extra 2cf seem to be in the configuration of a shallow flat box (where the top would be) and to make the test fair, I would have to know more about the top mechanism and how much space it occupies when the top is up to know what size box to use 3) don't think that space will be super useful anyhow. I keep the "bonus" space in mind though when I try to put things in my box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How much room do you have in that 2 cf box with your flight case in it? Remember you are are going to leave it in the trunk always and strap you roll aboard in the pax seat. So what ever is left over is your available trunk space.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Fair enough on the 2 cubes. I suppose if you can live with the 2 cubes, your guaranteed with being able to live with the Sol! :thumbs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dav8or said:
How much room do you have in that 2 cf box with your flight case in it? Remember you are are going to leave it in the trunk always and strap you roll aboard in the pax seat. So what ever is left over is your available trunk space.
Yeah, my flight bag takes up almost the whole thing, but at least it does fit. If I go overnight by myself I can put the roller bag on the right seat, but if my wife comes with, well we'll have to take another car. Good news is it forces me to pack lightly, which is a good thing for us GA pilots! :cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
What about the glove box? Is there another 1 CF in there?
More then likely not. Because to be 1 cubic foot it would have to be 12"x12"x12" which is a pretty big glove box for a small car like this. Now there might be a combination of 1+ CF of various little compartments like the one behind the passenger seat, a glove box, if they redo the trunk latch to be a usefull area, etc.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn't plan on a lot of useful glove box space. Besides, that space is generally filled up with items most people generally keep in their car all the time anyway. The owners manual, locks for wheel nuts (if equiped), maps, glasses, CD's, cell phones, etc.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
I could care less about trunk space. It'll be filled with audio equipment. Plus, I'll be keeping my GP.
Do you think that the available space will be sufficient for your audio needs. There really is not much room for subwoofers with enclosures, amps, wiring, etc. At least nothing real big.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Do you think that the available space will be sufficient for your audio needs. There really is not much room for subwoofers with enclosures, amps, wiring, etc. At least nothing real big.
I can make it fit! Depending on the size, I could possibly throw some 6W0's or some focal 5" subs in the doors. Or maybe pop a sub in the console. That would take care of the low freq. Put some comps on the floor or wherever. It looks like there are a few spots to place the tweeter. The front pillars look to have factory tweeter spots that would work perfect. But as long as I can keep the tweeters within 24" of my mids, it should sound great. I'm sure 2 ft^3 will be plenty of space for 1 or 2 amps.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
I can make it fit! Depending on the size, I could possibly throw some 6W0's or some focal 5" subs in the doors. Or maybe pop a sub in the console. That would take care of the low freq. Put some comps on the floor or wherever. It looks like there are a few spots to place the tweeter. The front pillars look to have factory tweeter spots that would work perfect. But as long as I can keep the tweeters within 24" of my mids, it should sound great. I'm sure 2 ft^3 will be plenty of space for 1 or 2 amps.
It sounds like you are going to have an interesting setup when your done with all that! After you get the car and install all the equipment, be sure to post up pics! I’d love to see it all in there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts