Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to get every one's hopes up, but at the plant there are around 1500 cars lined up, looks like they are waiting to get shipped.

Also they are training people right now for the third shift.

·
Registered
105 Posts
deluke said:
I don't want to get every one's hopes up, but at the plant there are around 1500 cars lined up, looks like they are waiting to get shipped.

Ok everybody the line forms to my right!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
deluke said:

Thanks for the info. Any white ones in that group? Who gets the first car off the third shift with the new trainees? :leaving:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Trainees?

I hope they don't build my car on a Monday! :willy:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I hope that this is true. I am hoping my car leaves Wilmington at the latest of November 7th 2005 because any later then this, I may have to be driving home in the salt and snow. Not toooo much fun.

Now Deluke, where were they lined up? outside the holding area? Im trying not to get my hopes up, but this is progress!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dylan01 said:
I hope that this is true. I am hoping my car leaves Wilmington at the latest of November 7th 2005 because any later then this, I may have to be driving home in the salt and snow. Not toooo much fun.

Now Deluke, where were they lined up? outside the holding area? Im trying not to get my hopes up, but this is progress!
As far as I know Yes it's where they put cars before they are shipped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Left DE on Monday!!!

Dealer called - my car left DE on Monday. So, how long has it been taking to get to OH??? What has been the typical wait in OH for other transport???

For anyone in TX: How long was the train ride from OH to Austin/Dallas/Houston/San Antonio???

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karyl said:
Dealer called - my car left DE on Monday. So, how long has it been taking to get to OH??? What has been the typical wait in OH for other transport???

For anyone in TX: How long was the train ride from OH to Austin/Dallas/Houston/San Antonio???
I think gizmo said his took 19 or 20 days. By the way where is gizmo today? Not to many post.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
KYSol said:
Who gets the first car off the third shift with the new trainees? :leaving:
Deluke may have better info - but generally, a third shift at an assembly plant is not the same as a classical third shift (aka: graveyard, 11:00pm - 7:00am).

In assembly plants, they are normally down for at least 4-hour every night (say 11:00pm to 3:00am) for maintenance. Then a shift will work from 3:00am to 1:00pm and the next crew works from 1:00pm to 11:00pm. Different plants will have different start times - but you get the idea.

The tricky part when you add a third shift is scheduling :willy: each crew works 4 shift a week (monday - saturday) To make this work, they have to regularly switch from the late to early shift. Normally, one shift isn't any better than the other - so there's no reason for all the experianced, high seniority works to gravitate to the same crew.

All that said - you still don't want your car built on Monday morning :glol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've never heard of an assembly plant working that kind of schedule :confused: but the only 'inside' knowledge I have is what I read here on this forum :yesnod:

I wonder if the 'third' shift we are hearing about doesn't apply to the full assembly process - but is instead just parts - like hydroforming, water testing and other bottlenecks :skep:

The Jeep Liberty plant in Toledo is getting ready to go to a third shift (also in January). The schedule they will work is similar to the one I described.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
MAKsys said:
Deluke may have better info - but generally, a third shift at an assembly plant is not the same as a classical third shift (aka: graveyard, 11:00pm - 7:00am).

In assembly plants, they are normally down for at least 4-hour every night (say 11:00pm to 3:00am) for maintenance. Then a shift will work from 3:00am to 1:00pm and the next crew works from 1:00pm to 11:00pm. Different plants will have different start times - but you get the idea.

The tricky part when you add a third shift is scheduling :willy: each crew works 4 shift a week (monday - saturday) To make this work, they have to regularly switch from the late to early shift. Normally, one shift isn't any better than the other - so there's no reason for all the experianced, high seniority works to gravitate to the same crew.

All that said - you still don't want your car built on Monday morning :glol:
Thanks for the update. I work in a 24/7 glass manufacturing plant. There are excuses to be tired and out of it on all the shifts. I'm glad we have folks out there providing some kind of information. :cheers:

I can't help but feel pretty pathetic because I feel like I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next event code and then what.... more waiting for the next one. :willy: We must all be crazy.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
deluke, stang, Rata87: y'all got me good on this thread! :) :)

Yeah, I was actually doing some work yesterday, visiting clients. Well, the rent was due so I needed some money! MARiSOL's first support check isn't due until December 1, so I have time for that.

Karyl: as deluke said, mine took 19 days from first "shipped" until delivery from dealer (nice memory, deluke!) Here's the actual sequence of events:

3800 Produced 09/14
various events in between
4200 Shipped 09/26 (left Wilmington?)
4B00 Bayed 09/26
4B00 Bayed 09/30 (arrived Lordstown?)
4200 Shipped 09/30
4B00 Bayed 09/30
4800 Rail Ramp Unload 09/30 (changing trains)
4300 Intermediate Delivery 09/30
4200 Shipped 10/03 (left Lordstown)
Crossed into Texas 10/06
10/13 train arrived in Houston
10/13 or 10/14 unloaded from train (I saw her from Hardy Toll Road on rail lot)
10/15 loaded on carrier and delivered to dealer
10/15 delivered to customer
10/15 MARiSOL arrived at her new home

Check out this link for important information, Post #32:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7423

Also check out Post #35 of that link for photos of MARiSOL on rail lot, loading, carrier to dealer, etc.

AND CALL ME, Karyl. I know you're heading to Galveston (or already there?) for the Lonestar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be taking a train north from TX to Chicago for Thanksgiving, and on the Texas Egal, it's about a day to Chi-Town. From there to the east coast is another day. Amtrack all the way.

I figure, if I'm going to get stuck in an airport for 2 days (last year's trck home) then I might as well be stuck on a train for 2 days. At least I can smoke cigarettes and drink beer. Try doing that in an airport at midnight. :brentil:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Silly - the car, not you!

Leftfoot said:
I'll be taking a train north from TX to Chicago for Thanksgiving, and on the Texas Egal, it's about a day to Chi-Town. From there to the east coast is another day. Amtrack all the way.

I figure, if I'm going to get stuck in an airport for 2 days (last year's trck home) then I might as well be stuck on a train for 2 days. At least I can smoke cigarettes and drink beer. Try doing that in an airport at midnight. :brentil:
Uhmmm - I meant for the Solstice....

·
Registered
363 Posts
deluke said:

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts