Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Tasty Bits for Your Solstice... 1 of 5 [sport exhaust]

7K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  stang 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone
In light of the West Coast Solstice meet we've decided to role out a few new products and some new photos of production parts such as our new exhaust and intake. So everyday this week we will be posting new threads on new tasty bits for your Solstice. Of course some of you will be seeing these parts on our Solstice at the West Coast meet. But for you guys that can't make it, we will have photos available.

So today we start with our new sport exhaust. We've been driving around with it now for a few days and all I can say is it sound awesome! Now the Solstice sounds like a proper sports car. The car sounds more aggressive but a deep smooth sound, very classy exhaust note. Absolutely no in-cabin resonance or droning. Please check out the sound clips and photos below and let us know what you guys think. And stay tuned for tomorrow's tasty bit for your Solstice. :)

Neil

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
We need the Dyno numbers Stig, please.
Thanks.

#5 ·
LatinVenom said:
We need the Dyno numbers Stig, please.
Thanks.
And price.

And availability date.

Thanks.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Very nice improvement in torque. Is this with cat-back only, or cat-back with tuning?

#10 ·
Are those torque/HP numbers based on the exhaust alone? I noticed a cold air intake on your webiste as well. If that part was installed prior to these readings, your results might be misleading for the exhaust alone.

#12 ·
Dreamer said:
Are those torque/HP numbers based on the exhaust alone? I noticed a cold air intake on your webiste as well. If that part was installed prior to these readings, your results might be misleading for the exhaust alone.
We performed 2 dyno runs the same day within a few hours with the same car:
- baseline (completely stock)
- with sport exhaust

Our intake will be dynoed the same way but with a different car. And we should have 3 different runs:
- baseline
- with sport intake
- with sport intake and sport exhaust

Neil

#13 ·
A little pricey for the modest gains.

#18 ·
That dyno graph looks like a crazy rollercoaster. :D
Defintely looks like a nice 9 ft-lbs torque increase in that big valley there.
I have to say I love the sound too.

Slicer: I'd like to point out that the GM official performance exhaust costs $650 I believe from the dealer. I'd expect the Kappasphere one might get better numbers if not comparable to the GM one as well.

However I'm one of the people waiting for a dual outlet type system.

#19 ·
Since I am not experienced in modding cars, but can work with tools a little bit, could I possibly install this on my own car without any problems??

Are there any major modifications needed, or is it simple nut and bolt connections involved??

Thanks!!

- bspate -

#20 · (Edited)
The GM is $100.00 more than the KappaSphere.
There is a thread with pictures from a member that purchased the GM setup.
here is the info:
Here's the listing from GM Parts Direct:
17802058 Cat-Back Exhaust System Muffler w/ intermediate pipe, catalytic pipe and 2 clamps (Requires choice of 17802059 or 17802060)

here is a pic I shot while the prep guy was in process of installing system. It's the stock system after removal, the catback is in the upper left corner of the pic.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29519141926.jpg&s=x10
This link is for pictures of the GM setup in the Solstice. By the way the reason for the long pipe is because GM/Pontiac exhaust muffler/cat back inlet is on the opposite end, and not on the side of the muffler/Catback like the original and the KappaSphere.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathwolf/album?.dir=577c&.src=ph
This link is for the sound of the GM
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110219&postcount=20

#21 ·
Slicer said:
A little pricey for the modest gains.
However, when you compare an old fashioned muffler/tail tipe to Stainless- add in the sound change-it's a bargain. My 96 TA had Stainless - never had to replace in the 10 years I owned it! (And it lived in the deep snow belt of the upper Great Lakes, driven year 'round until 2002, when I finally got an SUV for my daily driver in the winter.)

I like it-is it customer installable-or would it require professional assistance?

#22 ·
:agree:
But I'd also be curious to see if the quality sound gain with the exhaust and the intake resonate nicely together.

#23 ·
bspate said:
Since I am not experienced in modding cars, but can work with tools a little bit, could I possibly install this on my own car without any problems??

Are there any major modifications needed, or is it simple nut and bolt connections involved??

Thanks!!

- bspate -
Based on the pictures at KappaSphere WEB Site it is a simple connection that anyone with some mechanical ability should be able to do. The biggest issue is raising the car safely to do the work.
By the way the GM setup is a lot more complicated since you have to remove the whole exhaust setup, from the converter (not the converter itself) all the way to the original muffler.

#26 ·
LatinVenom said:
Based on the pictures at KappaSphere WEB Site it is a simple connection that anyone with some mechanical ability should be able to do. The biggest issue is raising the car safely to do the work.
By the way the GM setup is a lot more complicated since you have to remove the whole exhaust setup, from the converter (not the converter itself) all the way to the original muffler.
If someone wanted to have it done by a professional, who would do this if you bought parts yourself? Dealer would want to sell their GM version, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.