Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Thanks for all the enthusiastic input on the first thread. :thumbs: We love bringing you guys products that are appreciated. Today's topic is a cold air intake. Fujita Air has properly engineered our cold air intake to provide maximum airflow while also providing excellent filtration with a sporty intake note and no droning.

Our intake will be CARB legal. Initial testing of our prototype shows an increase in power – especially mid-range for improved drivability.

The sound is intoxicating especially when you put your foot in it. And also combined with the sport exhaust the car sounds like a proper sports car. These are photo of our finished prototype... the final production piece will look identical. Of course we will be dynoing a few production pieces to double check hp and torque. Stay tuned. :) Let us know what you guys think.

Thanks
Neil

Stock intake (engine without engine cover)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dresses up the engine compartment a little better than the stock one also. NICE!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks pretty cool!! :yesnod: You got any sound clips??

I can't wait to see the what the increase in power will be with this intake along with the new exhaust from yesterday.

- bspate -

·
Registered
729 Posts
Regarding the Kappasphere Lowering Springs by Eibach for $219.99 on the website.......

Is this price for a set of 4, or for each spring?? :willy:

- bspate -

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
bspate said:
Regarding the Kappasphere Lowering Springs by Eibach for $219.99 on the website.......

- bspate -

should be for the set

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll tell you all what I found out in researching a $270 cold air intake system
built for the Ecotec as installed in a Chevy 2.2. The system contained a
K&N free flowing air filter in addition to the new plumbing. The intake drew air from right behind the grill, at about the same position as the existing factory intake. Max HP gain was less than 3 HP, at high RPMs. The noise was an irritating whistling intake air sound that made it hard to hear the radio. The
manufacturer warns not to locate the air intake in a place where it might ingest water. One tablespoon of water in a small block Chevy cylinder will
probably break or bend the connecting rod, put a hole in the piston, etc.
Air filters for these systems are not factory and not cheap. Now, does anyone think I'm going to rush out and buy one of these systems?

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Stig, is it stainless or aluminum?.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bspate said:

- bspate -
the price is for a set of 4 springs.

Neil

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Stig, could you address concerns of getting water in the intake? Say, I'm going 70+ down the interstate, and it's raining.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kingarthur said:
K&N free flowing air filter in addition to the new plumbing. The intake drew air from right behind the grill, at about the same position as the existing factory intake. Max HP gain was less than 3 HP, at high RPMs. The noise was an irritating whistling intake air sound that made it hard to hear the radio. The
manufacturer warns not to locate the air intake in a place where it might ingest water. One tablespoon of water in a small block Chevy cylinder will
Air filters for these systems are not factory and not cheap. Now, does anyone think I'm going to rush out and buy one of these systems?
I think you already mentioned this in another thread. :rolleyes: Please don't bad mouth our product without seeing it, trying it or hearing it.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6491

My answer is the same... see below.

The Stig said:
kingarthur
Thanks for your input. Maybe this system isn't for you. We see this with all manufacturers. They usually bad mouth the intake and the exhaust, only to offer there's a few months later. :lol: We were even hinted by our sources at GM that the Solstice needed an intake in a bad way.
As far as the sound being bad... well that's subjective. IMO it sounded pretty sweet. A nice deep rumble when you have the pedal down. In order for an intake to inhale such amounts of H20 you are speaking of the intake has to be much lower than where it is right now on the car. Our system is going to be in the same position as the stock box.
We appreciate your research on this product, but it is nothing we didn't do before even thinking about offering this product.

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fortimir said:
Stig, could you address concerns of getting water in the intake? Say, I'm going 70+ down the interstate, and it's raining.
Sure... unless the car or intake is submerged in water you have nothing to worry about. The intake is positioned in the same location as the stock box... it is drawing some air from the front of the car but mostly from the bottom. I drove my other car which basically has the intake exposed to the elements in a storm and nothing happened. Rule of thumb... the intake has to be fully submerged to put in enough water for catastrophic failure.

This isn't something that's never been done guys. Infact the guys over at Mallet are using the same layout. See photo below.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bspate said:
Looks pretty cool!! :yesnod: You got any sound clips??

I can't wait to see the what the increase in power will be with this intake along with the new exhaust from yesterday.

- bspate -
I will try to get some sound clips by next week. :cool:

Neil

·
Registered
576 Posts
kingarthur said:
I am not sure of the source of your information, but I believe it is not well founded. As already stated the likelihood of much water getting into the filter is remote, unless you were in LA last month and then you had different problems.

In reality, water injection systems have been around since WWII. Here is a web site to familiarize yourself with the benefits of putting water into your engine.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html

While I am not saying the intake is a water injection system, your views of water entering the system and causing damage are greatly overstated.
:willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Does this Fujita intake use the vortex generator inside of the piping? I know some of their intakes do, but not all of them.

Also between this and the exhaust system have you thrown any CELs?

As mentioned guys the intake filter as seen in the pic below is the exact same place as the stock one. It's just an open element cone filter instead of a flat rectangle filter. The chance of getting water in the intake is just as much as the stock system pretty much.

I've attached a closeup image of the intake/resenator/stock filter location for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unless the intake was pulling air in from the wheel wells or empty fog light, hydrolock isn't going to be much of a worry. Unless your fording a river, this intake should be fine.

Can't wait to hear the clips and see the dyno. Would make for a nice x-mas gift.

Would be cool if the 1st 1k logo could go on the pipe instead of the logo that's on there or combine them somehow so the company can still advertise.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Lets say I'm washing my car and I spray through the grill and it hits the cone. When I start my car is it going to suck that water into the engine?

·
Registered
576 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Lets say I'm washing my car and I spray through the grill and it hits the cone. When I start my car is it going to suck that water into the engine?
No, but if it did it would not hurt anything. I have several mechanic friends who routinely pour water down a carburator to clean carbon off the pistons! As I posted earlier, putting water into the engine is something people have been doing for years! :yesnod:

In addition, the grill is not open to the air filter; this car is a bottom feeder and does not suck air from that part of the grill. There are 3 screws that hold the stock filter in place, one in front and 2 on the sides. Take yours out and look at it! You could probably stand there all day in front of the grill and spray water and not hit the air filter.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts