Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that would love to have the same computer diagnostic ability as the dealership the time has come!!.

Tech 2 is what GM uses for diagnostics on vehicles that are from 1996 to 2013. This tool is expensive and requires additional bits and pieces to work on GM vehicles made from 2008 to 2013. This adds to the cost.

There have been Chinese clones of these devices that did bring the price down to a reasonable amount (250.00ish). It would be hit or miss if the thing would function only partly, or not at all. 250.00 is quite a bit to gable with and many people would most likely not take he chance.

I have a surprise for you.. I can tell you where to get one that works, so no more gamble. As a bonus... It's 110.00 USD. The same price as a mid low end code scanner would cost.

The Tech 2 does it all. writing new firmware, air bag codes and diagnostics. programming keys and remotes.. the list goes on and on.

Here is the link to it.

It does not come with directions, and do not expect to much in the way of support from the company.

You will need a Laptop in order to use the tool.
They supply a CD with the tool, problem is that quite a few laptops don't have CD drives in them. They do not have all of the software available to download on their website. I am going to pull the software off the disk and zip it up and put it on my dedicated server so anyone that has a laptop with no CD drive will be able to download the files and do the installation.

There is a very specific way the software needs to be installed. There is software that needs to be installed that is not on the disk also. I will put everything together that is needed in order to get you up and running. I am considering writing a single setup program that will take care of everything in the order it needs to be done in. In the meanwhile I will key out step by step directions that can be followed to get it working.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
so, you have one of these ?

what does this imply ? " you would need buy software subscription online "

'subscription' usually means yearly, or repeated fees...

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
The VCX Nano is a workable substitute for a Tech2, I got mine directly from the VCX wesite: VXdiagShop Official Selling Website Several of us got them a few years ago and had mixed results with them. I have used mine for some diagnostics, but don't trust it enough to use it for reflashing a module.

The software is a cracked version of GM's Tech2Win that would only run on my computer if I reset the computer's date. Maybe they have done something about that in more recent releases.

Overall I prefer my Tech2 "clone", even though it is significantly less convenient to carry around. Everyone refers to them a sclones, but given the attention to detail I suspect that they are actually the "real thing", but made without authorization by the same Chinese company that originally made them for Techtronix.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am going to pull the software off the disk and zip it up and put it on my dedicated server so anyone that has a laptop with no CD drive will be able to download the files and do the installation.
Please let me know when and where I could download that please. TY

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I have been in contact with VCXNano is the past and they told me the device does not support changing any Solstice parameters. But I was not sure they really know what their device can / can not do. So I asked again and then their engineer stated it could should might work

In below thread you can find my communication with VCX Nano team.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What about Tech2Win with a J2534 VCI Interface. Would that work? Is the Tech2Win emulator obtainable via any official channel for a price an individual (as opposed to a dealer) could afford?

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
What about Tech2Win with a J2534 VCI Interface. Would that work? Is the Tech2Win emulator obtainable via any official channel for a price an individual (as opposed to a dealer) could afford?
The interface will probably work, the problem is the cost of Tech2Win. GM charges $550 per year, or $55 for three days, for it. The real benefit of buying the Nano is the pirated software that comes with it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found one issue with it so far. It keeps on disconnecting when I view the emissions tests. I am not sure why it i doing that. I do have the ability to program keyfobs and TPM sensors and view all of the different modules DTCs and live data.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The interface is really dated and this is because GM is slow as hell to update things. GDS2 has a native windows interface but does not work on our vehicles.

I am going to set up a MITM CAN interface so I can record the traffic coming out of the VCX and pair it to messages the VCX uses.

Once I reverse engineer the requests I will be able to write software to do everything the VCX is able to do for our vehicles.

Reactions: shabby

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just located a more up to date version of the software then what came on the disc GDS2 now works and has 9000 days until it expires. Tech2Win says license expired in the lower right hand corner bit I am still able to get into it. I still have to check if it will connect and work properly. I am hoping the disconnect problems are solved. The VCI manager functions completely different then how it did. The funny thing is in the new software it sees the Nano as an MDI2 clone. With the new manager there is no option to install the pass through driver. The whole thing also runs about 200% faster.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dunno I didn't check for key programming, I know our cars do not use PK3 it uses PK3+ which is a hybrid between passlock and passkey. It should be able to program them it is Tech2 as used by the dealerships. To my knowledge the software it's self is not "hacked" there is a series of drivers that are installed that intercept the messages from Tech2 and also intercept any messages that go out to TIS2Web. It functions like a man in the middle. that is the reason why there is a need to have the manager running before the application gets started.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has been snowing the past 3 days and I haven't wanted to go out and clean off the car so I haven't tested the newest software that I got my hands on.

Once I get the software tested I can write an installer for it which will simplify the installation process to only a double click of the mouse. I am also thinking about writing a wrapper around Tech2 and GDS2 that will make sure the manager is launched prior to running the programs. It will also check and verify that the scanner is plugged in to he computer before running the manager and it will display a message until the scanner is plugged in.

Reactions: agent008 and shabby

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I am still running into disconnect problems with Tech2 then I will look into writing something from the ground up. Doing this will take a long while to complete.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it should work on Windows 10 64 bit as long you are not using a touch screen.
I don't run Windows 10 at all. I am running Windows 7 64bit, so i do not have a way to make sure it works on Windows 10.

Reactions: shabby
1 - 20 of 99 Posts