Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

Registered
So the vcx nano arrived, about to install the software and windows flags gds2.exe as a trojan called Win32/Tiggre!rfn thoughts?
does it actually prevent you from installing the software? sometimes windows flags something but gives you the option to ignore

Bill

Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
disable windows defender. The so called trojan is because of the wrapper that was made around gds2 in order to get it to run. For the solstice you do not need GDS2 anyhow so you don't have to install it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I would go to the links I mentioned in this post

and download the software from there.
one of the files is going to be an ISO file. IDK if you have dealt with these files before. You will need a program like WinRAR to open the ISO and extract the GDS2 folder and the Tech2Win folders.

Install GDS2 using the GDS2AutoInstall.exe file. It will take some time to do depending on your machine speed. so be patient.
Install Tech2Win using the AutoInstall.exe file. This install will go faster.

One of the other 3 files you are going to download is going to be the latest version of the VCX Manager. extract the installer from the zip file and run it.

The last file you will download is a patch for GDS2. this patch is what gets rid of the lease limitation. so extract the file in the zip and run that one.

If you are running Windows 10 you MUST disable driver signing enforcement. I wrote up how to do this.
make sure you follow each step along with rebooting the computer.

Once that is done then you will want to plug in your VCX Nano. It will install the drivers if it complains abut the drivers not being signed click the option to install them.

once that is done then you want to open the VCX Manager. You MUST have the VCX Manager open any time you want to use Tech2Win or GDS2. Once you have the manager open you will need to connect the manager to the device. I don't have my device in front of me or the software installed on this computer. I am sure you will be able to figure out how to connect it.

Once you have the device connected to the manager then you can open up Tech2Win. It is going to perform some self tests and then it should be working. If memory serves when you select the year of the vehicle it is then going to ask you the vehicle type. This is going to be "M" I think for the Solstice. This website explains the vehicle selection process when using Tech2Win

Tech2Win works for GM vehicles from 1996 to 2007. then GM started to phase everything to GDS2 from 2008 to 2013. Here is a link that tells you what vehicles use GDS2 and what vehicles use Tech2Win during that transition time.

from 2014 to current GDS2 is the software to use.

Registered
Ok got it installed and managed to setup my new fob, but that wiped the tpms data. I start the learn procedure in tech2win, the left front turn signal turns on, i drop around 10 psi but after two minutes the horn beeps again and the right turn signal never turns on, the learn procedure never goes to the next tire.
I tried the manual learn by holding the lock/unlock on the remote but it never starts and it wipes my fob for some reason, have to relearn the fob again... strange.
Also when doing the tpms learn a dozen times the tech2win software closed by itself maybe 4 times, does this happen to anyone else?

Super Moderator
Ok got it installed and managed to setup my new fob, but that wiped the tpms data. I start the learn procedure in tech2win, the left front turn signal turns on, i drop around 10 psi but after two minutes the horn beeps again and the right turn signal never turns on, the learn procedure never goes to the next tire.
I tried the manual learn by holding the lock/unlock on the remote but it never starts and it wipes my fob for some reason, have to relearn the fob again... strange.
Also when doing the tpms learn a dozen times the tech2win software closed by itself maybe 4 times, does this happen to anyone else?
What year is your car? There was a bug in the RCDLR software in 2008. This could be one of the symptoms.

I had a number of problems with stability of the Tech2Win software from VCX.

Registered
unless someone gets you on the right track with your new toy, take it to a larger tire store (even Walmart) and they have the means to program your TPMS

Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
2008 is the model year where the RCDLR had software problems. But i am not sure if the problem you are experiencing is something with the software.
I do know that GM's Tech2 was not the easiest thing to work with. it was plagued with connection issues and all kinds of other glitches. Tech2Win is simply a ported version of the firmware that would run on a dedicated tool. I am sure that it too is plagued with all kinds of issues. and being that the Solstice is also one of the vehicles that received GM's early version of the CAN networks would make it highly possible that there are issues between Tech2 and the vehicle. This would be one of the reasons why you would get charged an hours labor to do something as simple as programming a remote. It is because they would have to keep on screwing with it until it finally played nice

Reactions: agent008

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
yes it can. I have not gone through the process of programming anything. You also have to buy access to the updates for your car from GM. I believe it's 40 bucks for 3 days access. You would have to do some reading on how to get it working. I have to update my RCDLR as well, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

I am going to put a warning out there that if there is an issue when programming the RCDLR you could brick it. This is why I haven't done mine yet because I am still checking the stability of Tech2Win and the VCX Nano before I attempt anything like that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

Super Moderator
Can the vcx nano preprogram the rcdlr? Seems there's a tsb for it, just not familiar with this thing yet.
Yes it can, if you decide you can trust it. You also need a subscription to TIS2WEB, but the cost for that is reasonable, so you could save some money, assuming that you are successful.

I have had no reliability problems with my Tech2, but even at that i am not sure that i would risk doing my own reflash. Of course I may feel differently if the need ever arises.

Registered
So i bought the 2 year pass from acdelco for $40, if you're in canada use a us vpn otherwise you'll pay $53 usd rather than $40. One issue i ran into was that the sps tool wasn't seeing the vcx nano, turns out you have to install the j2534 passthru driver when installing vx manager.

I flashed the 08-03-16-001A tsb, the 08-03-16-001B wasn't available for some reason, but that didn't solve the tpms issue, i wonder if i need this thing? JDIAG EL50448 TPMS Relearn Tool GM Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Reset Tool EL-50448 OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicles, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Amazon Canada anyway i ordered it.
Holding lock/unlock still doesn't start the tpms learn and the fob still gets wiped, i wonder if the new fob is the issue, i'll have to try with the old ones later.

Good video with vcx nano + ac delco flashing instructions

Super Moderator
Need it? No. But you will be really glad you have it. Once you put the RCDLR in TPMS learn mode, using the sensor tool eliminates the need to change the tire pressures to get the module to recognize the sensors. You can learn the four sensors in about a minute.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I know that when doing a TPMS relearn you need to drop the pressure FAST. It is best if you use a valve stem puller and unscrew the stem to drop the pressure quick. and then screw it back in. This is the cheaper way to do it. You can also use the tool you linked to. This will "wake up" the sensor, because that is really all you are doing by dropping the pressure rapidly or using the tool.

It flashed without issue I am gathering. That is good to know. I didn't even think about the pas through driver. I did install it on y system and I didn't even think to mention it.

Registered
So i bought the 2 year pass from acdelco for $40, if you're in canada use a us vpn otherwise you'll pay $53 usd rather than $40. One issue i ran into was that the sps tool wasn't seeing the vcx nano, turns out you have to install the j2534 passthru driver when installing vx manager.

I flashed the 08-03-16-001A tsb
Well done for blazing the trail and being brave to risk flashing. Now we know it works, thanks (my VCX arrived today at the post office).
If you live in Brazil (probably manby other countires other than US & Canada) it's not an issue of price, but an issue that you are completely blocked from accessing. So, a VPN has to be used too.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts