Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've repositioned the chip and still can't learn it to the car.

On the Captiva/Vue it also was not possible, it doesn't recognize the chip all the same. Tech2 on the Captiva read a DTC for 'invalid immobiliser' or something along that line (tested last weekend).
Leads me to suspect either the chip is bad, or even maybe the chip is working but is of a different type - the smart-a** mercadolivre (ebay) seller scrapes the chip markings and might have mixed up chip types.

Once the key tool I ordered arrives I will be able to test this chip and also the original keys to find out precisely what kind of immo chip my carkeys (car's a 2006 MY) has and what chip I've been sold. If the new chip is bad or a different type, I can get the seller to step up and replace.
Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thw VVDI key tool has arrived. It connects via Bluetooth to an android phone or iPhone and a specific app is used with it. The app has a fob identification function, you press the lock key twice and it searches an online database. My 2006 remotes were identified as "KOBLEAR01XT 1551" which is funny since this FCC ID correlates to a different looking fob. Now, this could be an error on the key tool app. But in fact programming the new fobs to emulate "KOBGT04A 1550" (which in fact looks visually the same as my fobs) didn't work whereas "KOBLEAR01XT 1551" did. Maybe it's a '06 thing, so when ordering new key fobs for a '06 pay attention to that, the KOBGT04A ones might not work...

As for the transponder chip - - it seems if a transponder has already been programmed to a car, it won' t accept being programmed to another car again. My seller seems to have sent me a used chip. I'll get new empty chips from the locksmith and send back the used one for a refund.

I've attached images of the compatible fob and the transponder reading showing it's "already locked".

EDITS: images were duplicate and lots of spelling errors. Added the observation for '06 owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Oh, by the way, the VXDiag came in handy for learning the new switchblade fobs I just programmed as per the post above. It also was put to good use recalibrating the Captiva(Vue)'s steering wheel position sensor which was throwing a code and disabling stabilitrak. Really handy, this thing...

·
Registered
983 Posts
I bought two new blank T19/ID46 chips at the locksmith. They wouldn't learn to the car! I then opened the VVDI/XHorse app and started fumbling around. Turns out the chips must be "pre programmed" to GM Passkey 3+, because blank ones can be pre programmed to be learned on several different car brands each with their own specific standards. There was a "create transponder" function. Under it the chip type could be chosen and also brand and type of anti theft system. I chose Id46 (PCF7936) and then GM Circle. Push program, inserted the blank chip into the VVDI mini key programmer and voila. Finally I was able to learn my switchblade keys to the car.

TL;DR: if you buy a GM Circle Plus key, or a switchblade keyfob that's specific for Circle Plus / PK3+ vehicles, you'll just need to learn the key to the car. If you go down the hard path, like me (bought un programmed, transponder less keyfob) , you'll have to find yourself a locksmith that can program your universal fob to emulate a KOBGT04A or KOBLEAR1XT keyfob and provide you with a blank, PK3+ adapted transponder. Or, do as @shabby and buy the same as he did that arrived ready and worked out of the box.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
you learned something tho so it wasn't a waste of money. now you know how to do it again so it will be a hell of a lot easier the second time around.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
983 Posts
you learned something tho so it wasn't a waste of money. now you know how to do it again so it will be a hell of a lot easier the second time around.
Yeah kwonledge is never too much and I can help friends/family with the new key tool.
By the way, not to put more wood in a fire, but I learned the first switchblade fob using one of the car's original keys. And the next switchblade was learned using the first switchblade. (so it's sort of a "third generation" key) so maybe the master key thing doesn't apply to the Solstice?

·
Registered
983 Posts
See the white plastic 6-pin connector there? This means your fob is an 'universal' one, meaning it can be programmed to emulate a wide gamut of remotes/fobs from many manufacturers and models.
I'd wager your keyfob is made by KEYDIY. The ones I got are made by their competitor VVDI/XHorse (pics below), and they come without a blade and without a transponder chip.

In fact, they're two different things - fob/remote and transponder key. The switchblade fobs just happen to encase both in one piece.
UPDATE - I finally got some Pontiac key badges (link 08-09 G8 Remote Flip Key Fob Case Sticker Switchblade: Pontiac G-Series Parts ) and replaced the ugly orange "xhorse" badges with the Pontiac ones.

EDIT: Bear in mind that the link above describes the badges as being stamped aluminum (that, in my opinion, would look even better) but what I received are resin emblems which do look good anyway. I have sent an email to the shop owner inquiring whether they still have the actual stamped aluminum ones.

Font Fashion accessory Jewellery Pattern Electric blue

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know I am late to the party here but as I get bored while work is slowing down for me I came across this thread. If I purchased the VCX Nano, it will help me program fobs and check any engine code that pops up, correct?

I know it does more than that, but I am just trying to get the simple things accomplished here. I also know there is a Doorman tool that should help program fobs but that didn't work for me last year and I don't mind spending a little extra money to get a tool that will help beyond the 60 seconds they give you. Final question (for now), is the software compatible with an Apple laptop? I ask because I will not be able to load it onto my work laptop.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
I know I am late to the party here but as I get bored while work is slowing down for me I came across this thread. If I purchased the VCX Nano, it will help me program fobs and check any engine code that pops up, correct?

I know it does more than that, but I am just trying to get the simple things accomplished here. I also know there is a Doorman tool that should help program fobs but that didn't work for me last year and I don't mind spending a little extra money to get a tool that will help beyond the 60 seconds they give you. Final question (for now), is the software compatible with an Apple laptop? I ask because I will not be able to load it onto my work laptop.
Yes, you will be able to program fobs and check engine codes, among many other things.

I did not see Apple compatibility on the website, but you can look here: USB Version VXDiag VCX NANO for GM/OPEL 2021.4 GDS2 Tech2WIN Diagnostic Tool for more information.

Of course you always have the option of running a Windows virtual machine on your Apple computer.

Reactions: gaheroy

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Tech2Win has "Win" in the name because it is Windows only. You cannot run it in a virtual box either, you would have to set up a dual boot for your mac or buy a 50 dollar netbook that has Window s on it

·
Registered
983 Posts
Tech2Win has "Win" in the name because it is Windows only. You cannot run it in a virtual box either, you would have to set up a dual boot for your mac or buy a 50 dollar netbook that has Window s on it
I would try running it on a VirtualBox VM. It might work. Worst case scenario you'll have to spend another 50-100 bucks to get a cheapie Windows laptop.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
the reason why you cannot run it in a Virtual box is because it is already running in a type of virtual box in order to run on windows.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
nope don't need to in order to know it's not going to work.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,829 Posts
FWIW i bought the no-namer hardware Tech2 online. Its old school and seem to work great. That being said, for me it was worth the money to not deal with windows and all that jazz and have a dedicated device for the job and not having to worry about an expiring battery and keeping it charged on the laptop option..
Haven't looked recently but they had come down in price when i bought mine.

I am sure they are equally effective solutions but wanted to throw that out there as there are a couple different ways to skin that cat these days depending on your personal preference and needs.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
@HHGadget

Don't count yourself out of the woods with that scanner. You cannot flash modules without SPS2 so you still need a laptop with Windows If you want to be able to do all of the GM technical crap to the car.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,829 Posts
@HHGadget

Don't count yourself out of the woods with that scanner. You cannot flash modules without SPS2 so you still need a laptop with Windows If you want to be able to do all of the GM technical crap to the car.
What is "SPS2"? Service Programming System 2? Did the original GM techs need both the Tech2 and a computer to work together?
Fer the love of fook man. IT did come with some CD-Roms that i havent had any time to look at so maybe there is something there?

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
What is "SPS2"? Service Programming System 2? Did the original GM techs need both the Tech2 and a computer to work together?
Fer the love of fook man. IT did come with some CD-Roms that i havent had any time to look at so maybe there is something there?
The Tech2 is stand-alone to do everything except download software to flash a module, which you would normally only do if you have to replace one.

At that point you can decide whether to pay GM for access and sort out the communication, go to an independent mechanic who already has access, or go to a dealer.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts