Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an idea but let me say up front I have no idea if this is possible or even technically how to pull it off so consider this just me throwing out an idea and gathering feedback.

If there was some way for us to host a online chat with GM kappa engineers and members ...is that something people would be intersted in? Thinking of something along the lines of those AOL chats with Hollywood celebs?

Guess we'd have to organize some topics? No idea what the parameters would be but let's just dream and see where it goes :devil:

Maybe categories like....

Brakes
Ride & Handling/Suspension/Steering
Powertrain
Kappa Platform
Manufacturing
Human Factors/Ergonomics
Convertible Top/Sealing/Windnoise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
That would be great! Members would have to contain a lot of negativity about certain topics discussed on the forum, but if everything was kept calm, it could be a very good informative discussion with maybe some answers to questions that we have only been able to speculate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sol4362 said:
Members would have to contain a lot of negativity about certain topics discussed on the forum
Yea, that's what some of the paramaters might be around, topics in advance, no ranting etc. I'm sure GM would have a set of ground rules.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
The chat, if the parameters allowed, may help to answer a lot of those issues that have generated the negativity too. It would depend on what the rules were for the chat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Great Idea

I could find out what is causing some of the minor issues with my Solstice... Wait a minute, that's right... I don't have a Solstice yet. :lol: :glol:

In all seriousness, that sounds like a great idea :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
I think it is a great idea. Perhaps we could learn what some of the traded-offs they struggled with and why they chose to implement the final choice. Topics like the gas tank could prove to be very interesting. Also interior design like the passgenger airbag light or the cabin storage options. It would be interesting to jst to hear their thoughts, even with minimal if any comments allowed.

Perhaps we could submit conversation topics and questions we would like answered, the mod could scrub and prioritize :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
I'd be great but it'd be awfully hard to get the Sleeping Giant to agree to a real time chat, what with it's extreme stand on Internet sharing of "Proprietary Information" and GM's inability to run all answers through different committees prior to their posting. Even a direct discussion on a board (either their's or our's) would be a great improvement. As you know, right know we can only petition the King and Mrs Queen with the hope of maybe getting a response through their blog. I'd love to actually talk directly to their minions like me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,475 Posts
Actually it would be be positive from GM since the comments will be coming from actual owners. These could be use to redesign such items, as the cup holders, better interior plastics, gas tank etc..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
Run this like an IRC chat would for a game....

Have two or three "question takers" and the only ones allowed to speak are the question takers so they can post the question, the invitees(GM techs) so they can post their answers live. Then it is controlled in a timely manner and not a lot of outside cahtter. A second IRC room would be in order for those that would like to chat with the others while they were waiting for their question to be asked.

I can assist in running this if anyone would like since I am familiar with it.

Plus the whole thing would be logged for perusal later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
mceb said:
Had an idea but let me say up front I have no idea if this is possible or even technically how to pull it off so consider this just me throwing out an idea and gathering feedback.

If there was some way for us to host a online chat with GM kappa engineers and members ...is that something people would be intersted in? Thinking of something along the lines of those AOL chats with Hollywood celebs?

Guess we'd have to organize some topics? No idea what the parameters would be but let's just dream and see where it goes :devil:

Maybe categories like....

Brakes
Ride & Handling/Suspension/Steering
Powertrain
Kappa Platform
Manufacturing
Human Factors/Ergonomics
Convertible Top/Sealing/Windnoise
Good Luck! The two DRE's I deal with have no time for chitchat...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
I know that Mark Richer, Director of Marketing, Pontiac, is up for it. I talked with him about it at the Detroit event. Although he's not engineering, we could have a "Solstice Forum Chat Series" with various GM/Pontiac folks. I could give him a ring and find out if he still wants to do it. Is there any interest in that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
todd_raleigh said:
I know that Mark Richer, Director of Marketing, Pontiac, is up for it. I talked with him about it at the Detroit event. Although he's not engineering, we could have a "Solstice Forum Chat Series" with various GM/Pontiac folks. I could give him a ring and find out if he still wants to do it. Is there any interest in that?
Sure, I figured Marketing would be a part of this too (don't think they would let engineers talk to public alone would you :lol: )

Maybe he could be the contact to get something rolling on their end?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Might be easier to pull off running a thread to gather questions, vote on them to get x amount of questions, and submit them to the contact and allow for a follow up on their answers. Would allow us to keep it umber professional. Would allow them more time to check if they can give out the answers to the questions with out getting into any trouble.

Also would help in avoiding scheduling issues as well.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
mceb said:
Cool, thanks Excelsior. If idea takes off we may be contacting you for assistance.
Thats probably the best approach then GM could have some assurance of no surprises. I was thinking that if it were handled by reps with the membership viewing maybe a couple of polls up front to determine priority of interest in different areas/questions would insure the inclusion we would all like. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I think we were going to shoot for something in real time rather than a submit question and wait for answers type of thing (unless that's all we can get ;) ). They might want topics or questions ahead of time or have the questions moderated somehow. That's all part of the parameters that would have to be hashed out.

If it gets wings we'll definitely split off a thread for question gathering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
mceb said:
I think we were going to shoot for something in real time rather than a submit question and wait for answers type of thing (unless that's all we can get ;) ). They might want topics or questions ahead of time or have the questions moderated somehow. That's all part of the parameters that would have to be hashed out.

If it gets wings we'll definitely split off a thread for question gathering.
Don't get me wrong, I would love a real time session too. I can just imagine the engineers all in a room surrounded by a salivating legal department ready to pounce. Though the ones that would be aloud to chat would probably be well versed in the information they can spill out.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top