Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home I was low on fuel in a massive traffic jam. On a stop light 2 streets away from the gas station I felt the first missfire but it went away. On the small ramp to the gas station it started missing constantly. I added fuel but now it barely runs, it misses until it gets a solid cell and goes into limp mode.

Hopefully I didn't fry the pump, is there a certain procedure on direct injectors when fuel is low?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh oo, pulled fuse 42 & 43 and let it sit for 15 minutes, now every light is on, service everything, and gas pedal doesn't work :willy:

I am new to GM so this is all foreign to me.

I have to add this was after a 30 mile trip of running smooth and then this misfire at the light.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
You need to know your DTCs (trouble codes) before doing something silly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On these vehicles is a scanner required to check codes?
Unfortunately I do not have one and it does not run

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going back to work and its staying home,
When the vehicle is off I can switch between traction off etc, once on I turn it on it flashes low engine power, esc needs service, traction needs service etc. Gas pedal does not work and the engine barely runs.

Have a feeling the ecu is fried, and I barely hear the fuel pump.
I will take a closer look tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Without codes and more info its difficult to help

You can get a code reader at any auto parts house or Wallmart. They are not expensive.

Getting multiple, random errors on start frequently are related to low voltage. Check the battery terminals. Check the chasis ground and the engine ground.

You could have a failed high pressure fuel pump, but they will give a good fault code message. Or it could be the in tank fuel supply pump. Or fuel filter. Of.....

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Is it a GXP or NA? GXP doesn't have a fuel filter....just a screen that "sifts" the fuel before the pump in the tank. How long has the car sat before today? Did it sit with no gas in it over the winter? If so, water in the fuel. However, very unlikely. I once had a guy pour 2 bottles of beer and pee in my gas tank on my Mustang (he tried to vandalize it...long story)....Never phased it...because I had about 10 gallons in the tank and immediately filled it with premium (within a mile of my house). Most gas will "evaporate" water unless it's sat all winter with no gas.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a gxp, but its ok its just a double dose of user error :confused:

Lesson one! Don't let it run out of fuel,
Lesson two! Remove the damn right fuse when resetting the ecu.

Apparently I didn't look close enough and only removes the fuse for the ecm and removed the fuse for the turbo instead of the transmission. I put them all back and just pulled of the battery cables for a while. It fired up and it missed for a few seconds but it then stop and running like new. So its all good

Now I just have to worry about is the slipping clutch at 22psi :p

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOOOO! I spoke too soon,

It still misfires but now at high boost at 4k rpm and onwards, hmmm
Wish I had a fuel pressure gauge right now, It has no cel or errors on the dash. Also if I let it idle it will begin to miss after about 5 minutes. I give a bit of gas and it stop for a bit.

It has 100 Octane fuel and that's what I have always run since it got the tune. I doubt its the fuel though.

Need to troubleshoot tomorrow

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Cam shaft actuators, check the connections.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cam shaft actuators, check the connections.
Thanks,

I am really far from home and it started missing constantly after I pulled over. I took the tubing off and cleaned the maf a bit. Checked on the connections and pushed them all to be safe. Its been idling smooth for 15 minutes now. I will start driving home in a few and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Check your grounds and battery cables. Might have shook something loose with the misfires.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe driving it dry overheated the pump?

On the way home it drove fine until I got to the high way, in first it misses bad at 5k rpm. Does it again at 120 on 4th so around 5k rpm again. If I bring it to redline below 15 psi its doesn't miss. On the 120 pull it did give me a check engine so I will get that checked.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got up this morning and turned it on and everything is ok, drove it about 30 miles and running smooth. Brought it to check the code, they told me its a misfire on one. Drove it a few towns over and stopped at an auto parts place to get an air filter.

On the way out it missed on second gear and then it started doing the same thing all over again.
Pulled over at a state park right now messing with it, it is not doing anything on cylinder one. If I unplug the coil on one nothing happens. So its either no fuel, no spark or no compression

I am letting the engine cool down now

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Got up this morning and turned it on and everything is ok, drove it about 30 miles and running smooth. Brought it to check the code, they told me its a misfire on one. Drove it a few towns over and stopped at an auto parts place to get an air filter.

On the way out it missed on second gear and then it started doing the same thing all over again.
Pulled over at a state park right now messing with it, it is not doing anything on cylinder one. If I unplug the coil on one nothing happens. So its either no fuel, no spark or no compression

I am letting the engine cool down now
If it was running OK for a while, compression is not an issue. The ECM controls both the coil pack and the injector. It could be an intermittent in the ECM, or in the coil pack.

Exchange the coil pack for #1 with one of the other cylinders and see if the miss moves to the other cylinder.

If it moves, it's the coil pack. If it stays on #1, it could be a plug going bad.

:dunno:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think the magic words you posted up above is scary, especially 2 things, 100 octane and #2 tune...
It has 100 Octane fuel and that's what I have always run since it got the tune. I doubt its the fuel though.
also a dead piston 1 is NOT a good omen I fear..

·
Registered
333 Posts
In this case, calm is your friend. Okay, you may have sucked some junk into the High Pressure Fuel Pump or pressure regulator/damper, or the HPFP may have bit the dust.

When my HPFP had problems, the symptoms were:
* Misfire then sudden loss of power.
* Would not build boost, max RPMs while accelerating were 3,000 RPM.
* DIC indicated "Reduced Power

I limped home at no faster than 50 MPH and immediately hooked up my inexpensive scan tool.
According to the scanner, I had low secondary fuel pressure.

A couple days later, I ordered from GMPartsDirect.com a new HPFP, Fuel Damper and High Pressure Fuel Line. Rob from this forum suggested I go with Crate Engine Depot and I'm sure they're fine. I just couldn't find the part on their website, but could at GMPartsDirect.com. I paid about $229 for the pump. (Stealership wanted almost $600)

If this is the same issue for you, I suggest you replace the fuel damper that goes in front of the HPFP and absolutely replace the high pressure fuel like that runs between the HPFP and the fuel rail on the side of the engine. That way you don't ingest water and junk that may be caught in the damper into your nice new HPFP. The HPfuel line uses crush fitting which are meant for a one time tightening. Trying to reuse the line could cause a leak and air into the fuel rail, so should you replace the HPFP, replace the line too.

Replacing the pump is pretty straight forward. The pump is on the drivers side rear of the engine. There is a silver metal fuel line with a straw hat shaped piece in the middle. This line is the low pressure feed line that goes into the HPFP. All you need to is open the hood, remove the windshield wipers, pop off the plastic "Ecotec" engine cover, remove the screws and push-in plastic rivets that hold the big blastic tray under the windshield. Once you remove the tray, you'll have pretty good access to get a 10mm 1/4" socket and wrench behind the engine to remove the pump cover (black powder coated metal cover). Once you get in there without the pump cover, you'll see how things come apart.

One thing to be careful about when reinserting the new pump: Since the camshaft drives this pump, make sure the pump plunger fits smoothly into the pump and the plunger into the cylinder on the head. It is a very precision-machine part that only fits on one way. Lubricate the plunger with new clean Mobil1 5-30 before fitting it all back together. Do not force anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I thought someone else had this issue and it was a bad injector. There was like 50 posts on their issue and turned out to be a bad injector.... I'll look and see what I can find... It was RedDevil I think.....

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
if as you say it ran properly then started missing again, its not likely to be compression.

It could be any number of things, the coil pack could be bad, the plug could be having problems that only show up with temperature, . . .

One thing that has been done in the past is swap around the coil packs to see if the problem follows the coil pack to the "new" location.

Have you looked at the plugs to see if they are different?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts