Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:jester I want to test drive a solstice SOOOO BAAAAAD!!! So I'm going to test drive other cars to keep boredome at bay, but I need your help, which cars would you recommend based on the following criteria:

What i particullarly want to feel is the power/speed of the first year solstice. What vehicle could I go drive that you all think is the most comparable to the projected solstice power/speed.

On that same thought, which car should I test drive that would be comparable to the Solstice's ride/steering/handling?

Same question, in regard to interior size/design/bathtub feel?

This should be an interesting thread!

If I can't drive the solstice, I'm going for free rides in the competition, but I definately know none will compare to the solstices fundamental appeal!

RODEO :thumbs

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Try getting into:

Miata
Mazdaspeed Miata
Honda S2000
Corvette
BMW Z4

Blend well, use your imagination, don't just cherry-pick the best of each, and I suspect you'll get close to the Solstice?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good idea. Will need to blend them all.

Bathtub...Z4/Vette?

Handling...S2000 (some discussion that S* was shooting for this)

Power...MazdaSpeed Miata? or Z4 2.5 (similar size engine to S* 2.4)

·
Registered
533 Posts
If it were me, I'd just drive the Z4 2.5L and imagine that the front end was 4" shorter.

I think the others mentioned each have at least one characteristic that is so far from the Sostice that it would be distracting (e.g. Vette=too much power difference, S2000=Engine makes most power above 6000RPM, etc). The other danger is that if you drive too many competitors, you might end up buying one of them. ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mceb said:
Good idea. Will need to blend them all.

Bathtub...Z4/Vette?

Handling...S2000 (some discussion that S* was shooting for this)

Power...MazdaSpeed Miata? or Z4 2.5 (similar size engine to S* 2.4)
I LIKE THE WAY mceb ANSWERED THIS, which car for which purpose, that's what I was looking for! :thumbs

tcl said:
The other danger is that if you drive too many competitors, you might end up buying one of them. ;)
Perish the Thought! Besides, I cannot afford anything over 20-25k, I can barely justify the solstice, the base msrp was one of the main reasons I like this car. So, there goes a vette, s2000, BMW, etc... Really, the only real possible competition would be the miata, but in ten years I've never even considered the stlye likeable enough to buy, and they are too small, another reason I look forward to the solstice (size). Forgot the MR2, but also hear that's too small.

VIVA SOLSTICE! And keep your posts to this thread coming!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM has always said that the S2000 was a target, so I think that is a no-brainer. Its top power comes at high RPM’s, but it may have similar power to the Solstice Ecotec if you don’t drive it beyond the VTEC cam changeover point. I’d definitely take a look at it anyway. Even if its not the closest thing to the Solstice, at least you will know what GM was benchmarking at anyway.

I couldn’t drive it or any of those other roadsters. The temptation to drive one home would be too great! I’d have to wait until the Solstice is released to try them because I would have to satisfy my roadster appetite right away if I got even a small taste!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I know this sounds foolish, but I don't really care all that much about the test drive. The Solstice has all those other cars beat flat out in the looks department IMO, and that actually matters more to me than most any other factor. For me not to get a Solstice, someone would have to come up with a car that I think looks even better, or Pontiac would have to seriously blow it with the way the car drives or functions. I seriously doubt either of those things are going to happen. So I'm not going to bother wasting my time and breath talking to sales people just to get a ride in a car I know doesn't fairly represent the Solstice and I know I will never buy.

Just for the record though, If I were that curious, I would only drive the BMW 2.5 Z4. I think that's the closest of all. I would drive that car and then imagine about a little under 1/2 the trunk space. Not going to happen though, IMO that cars so ugly I don't even want to test drive it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts