Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever the previous owner of my car was must have been a playa. or at least thought he was. when I first got it it had a strong cologne smell and I absolutely hate it. I've left the windows cracked, down, top down, trunk open, sprayed cleaner and it's still there. Is there something I can do besides have my kids wash the inside like on the Volvo Commercial??? It's not near as bad as it was but if I leave the windows up and it's warm outside, it's noticable when I get in. and if it's heat activated then I'm in for a long summer cause the tripple digits are just around the corner. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Zep used to make a product called Smoke Eliminator. I used to use it when someone would smoke in one of my loaner cars. You will literally have to spray it on all cloth surfaces, and wipe the leather down with it. It comes in a pump spray bottle. It's very strong, but it WILL get rid of the smell. You will have a clean fresh smell left behind. I don't like Febreeze, I think it's just as bad as cologne!! The Smoke Eliminator does contain Naptha (I think), so if your going to use it follow these instructions:

Best results happen on a hot day, or with the heater on high for an hour or so.

1). Spray every piece of cloth in the car/trunk. Spray your headliner, under your seats, behind your seats....any where there is carpet or cloth.
2). Wipe down all leather surfaces with a clean rag using just a little spray on the rag
3) Let vehicle sit for 24 hours with windows up
4) Open all windows, put top down, etc. for up to 2 days
5) Repeat if necessary

I used to take my "smoked out" cars and do this on Friday afternoon and pull them in the drive with the windows and doors open for the weekend. I would come back on Monday and all that was left was a nice clean smell!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, Zep. I haven't heard that name in a while. My first thought was this granulated stuff that we used to throw down the hole in the wall ( this is what we called the dumpster that was connected to the building ) back in my grocery days. OK, cool, I'll see if I can find some. Yeah, I don't care for frebreeze either and we use nothing but unscented detergents at home so even the slightest of odors is quite noticeable.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
An open bag of real charcoal, not briquettes, will absorb and remove a lot of odors.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
To heck with the smell. Go find the French Whore that used to ride around in it!

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Meguiar's Odor Eliminator should work. I've used it on cigarette smoke

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can't help but recall the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's BMW was made un drivable by a smelly valet. He eventually just parked it in the city and threw the keys at some shady looking guy... lol

·
Registered
612 Posts
Years ago before I retired from Hughes A/C I used to carpool with this fella that must have bathed in cologne and years afterwards I could still smell the sickening cologne in my truck. He was too ugly to be with french whores.. well, unless we consider poodles :lol: and those Elvis lambchops he had... ah man...

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, thanks guys, I get that comment from my dad. I he used it quite frequently. my homeboy David used to carry polo cologne and we used to use after we smoked ( 4:20 ) and my dad told us yall smell like a couple of french whores and I never used it since.

I think I'll try the Mequires. Need to go to Autozone and get some mobile 1 and a filter anyway. Thanks guys, have a good weekend. will advise if it helps.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Much of the odor comes from the duct work in the dash. I do use Fabreeze, but the unscented antibacterial type with the orange top. Spray it liberally into the vent system and into the fresh air inlet vent under the bonnet. Then put the blower on high, put the top down and go for a long drive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Only "Air Freshener" I've used in my Sol

Spread it on, shut the car up overnight, and enjoy the new leathery smell for the next week.

Is it bad that a buddy and myself have been caught just smelling (or huffing) the Z10? :leaving:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I kinda like the way the Hamburg ones smell. Maybe you should have bought an Opel GT instead? :lol:

BV's technique works, I do the same but with lysol to cure A/C system stank. If you want professional help, find a shop with an ozone generator and have them detox your car for 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really appreciate the suggestions and most of all am glad you guys enjoyes the post. I'm on the way to home depot and will stop by autozone too and see what they have. I'll try it tonight and hopefully have a new smell tomorrow. hell, I'd rather the thing smell like musty old bong water than a french whore:). and we just passed 4:20 too :)

Later Guys

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to homedepot yesterday and they had the Zep smoke oder eliminator and it was just over $4. Amazon had it listed at $12 so I'm happy with that. I also went to Autozone and looked for the meguires but nada. I picked up oil and a filter too, Hmmm. never seen a filter like that. will have to search the hot too's for sure. Anyway, I sprayed the Xep all over the interior, trunk, let it flow thru the vents and just all over. I didn;t smell cologne this morning but sure as hell smelled zep. Hopefully it will fade away and I'll have a clean, scent free car. will advise in a couple days.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wouldn't know what a french whore smells like. I try to stay with doimestic everything!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts