Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If they do, I will be sure to call you to arrange them. I was told that you excel in that department. BTW, what is the number to your closet?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Although I doubt your intention is to start an intelligent conversation on the topic, one can certainly grow out of this subject.

Many people do call the Miata a chick car. Since the Solstice is poised to compete directly with it, might it also ultimately be seen as a chic car? It is possible (if you ignore the heavily male biased demographics of this forum).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree - an intellegent conversation could come out of this. However, I would also quite enjoy seeing this poor sap get the flaming of his gender-confused life. So without further delay, let's set fire to this Nancy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kind of figured that would get a rise out of you guys. Actually, I do like this car. I was just fooling around with you guys. Take it easy.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Fformula88 said:
(if you ignore the heavily male biased demographics of this forum).
I'm in no way trying to start an argument, but has anyone actually tracked this demographic, or are you simply making an observation based on what you've read of the forum member's posts? I would think most postings don't actually state if the poster is a male or female.

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of forum members.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We have done polls in the past to check out demographics out. It has been a while, however, so if anyone is interested in getting a new poll up and going it would be interesting to see the results. Maybe I'll do just that. ;)

·
5,600 Posts
rondog10 said:
That's A Chick Car If I've Ever Seen One!

I'm surprised they didn't put a vase for flowers in it.
Your Kindergarten teacher is looking for you. She flunked your fingerpainting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I remember the designer (a woman) said that the design of the Solstice was more feminine than the upcoming Sky.
However- the Solstice has 38.5 inches headroom, so a guy can actually fit inside one versus the Z3/Z4 or Miata at ~37 inches
So, I can fit inside, it's not expensive (by comparison) and I get a discount (as far as I know) using my GM credit card rebate (that can't be used with Saturns) therefore this is a guy car as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
936 Posts
wrightpwx said:
As I remember the designer (a woman) said that the design of the Solstice was more feminine than the upcoming Sky.
However- the Solstice has 38.5 inches headroom, so a guy can actually fit inside one versus the Z3/Z4 or Miata at ~37 inches
So, I can fit inside, it's not expensive (by comparison) and I get a discount (as far as I know) using my GM credit card rebate (that can't be used with Saturns) therefore this is a guy car as far as I'm concerned.
I have been wondering who the designer was for the Solstice do we have a name. I think she will be the next Delorean. I didn't like the Sky as well as the Solstice it looked to choppy (the lines) and I thought the Solstice has a nice flowing shape. As far as the designer saying the Solstoice is more femine than the Sky, you now have me worried about my manhood. I think now I better go spend some time with my muscle cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I have been wondering who the designer was for the Solstice do we have a name. I think she will be the next Delorean. I didn't like the Sky as well as the Solstice it looked to choppy (the lines) and I thought the Solstice has a nice flowing shape. As far as the designer saying the Solstoice is more femine than the Sky, you now have me worried about my manhood. I think now I better go spend some time with my muscle cars.
The designer of the Solsitce is Franz von Holzhausen (a guy). He did the exterior of the car. However, he has since been hired away by Mazda.

Vicki Vlachakis is the designer of the interior. She is probably the woman that everyone was thinking of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No doubt the overwhelming perception is that the Mazda Miata is a chick car. My personal opinion is that I would not want to own one. Having said that and knowing that the Solstice was created to compete directly with the Miata I do not see them as similar in that respect at all. The Solstice has such a clean look that the Miata never achieved. I think if Pontiac felt the Solstice was a chick car they would have done their primary ad campaign on Will and Grace.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
IMHO the Miata is not a chick car. The Del Sol and the S2K are chick cars. So seems to be the MR2. I believe the Sky to be the chick car of the Kappa triplets. Look at the natural Saturn draw and consider the members who are chicks that are waiting for the Sky and/or automatic. Not at all does this mean an automatic is anything less than a stantard - why do you think they use automatics in drag racing. The Solstice is all car, no fluff. I would not call it a guy car, but not a chick car. A V6 Mustang is a chick car!

So, if the Sky is the girl, and the Solstice is the guy, what is the Opel? :willy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I thought it was a very desirable looking car even before the Apprentice used that term. If it is seen as having feminine characteristics, then that's no surprise since I think that's part of what makes it attractice. I see a beautiful woman and I enjoy her beauty. It's a gift to behold and respect. It seems quite alot of people were drawn to this car based on its looks alone. How else does one explain the sales of something that you were lucky to even see in person, let alone touch or drive?

When I found this forum, I was surprised so many people had followed the developement of this car since the prototype like I had. It has a really strong effect on people. Ask anybody who you wouldnt expect is an enthusiast and see how many know about and are excited about the car, and its looks. I was surprised how many people wanted one.

The "clean lines" are more attractive than the common place functionality of aerodynamics that have crept into the econoboxes and the family cars. The masculine widetrack and tires balance the overall effect well. Now I only hope it has a throaty, tuned exhaust like Lauren Bacall. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wrightpwx said:
As noted before, the designer of the exterior was a man. And if it was referred to as more feminine, I believe it was inted to convey that it is more sleek and curvaceous than the Sky. It doesn't have a lot of harsh lines or creases. However, most guys like to think of their cars as women rather than men. How many times have we heard "She's a beautiful car" or something similar. Also, some enthusiasts actually name their cars ... but it's always a female name. I've never heard a guy name his car Dave or Jim or anything like that. Thus, thinking of the car as having a "feminine" form really doesn't mean it's a "chick" car ... in fact, I think it's quite the opposite.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SlySol said:
As noted before, the designer of the exterior was a man. And if it was referred to as more feminine, I believe it was inted to convey that it is more sleek and curvaceous than the Sky. It doesn't have a lot of harsh lines or creases. However, most guys like to think of their cars as women rather than men. How many times have we heard "She's a beautiful car" or something similar. Also, some enthusiasts actually name their cars ... but it's always a female name. I've never heard a guy name his car Dave or Jim or anything like that. Thus, thinking of the car as having a "feminine" form really doesn't mean it's a "chick" car ... in fact, I think it's quite the opposite.
If you name your cars with female names you are less likely to swear at them and hit them with things when they crap out. :lol:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.