Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, been digging around here and saw the pictures of the trunk.

Yes a two seater means sacrifices no doubt about it, they are impractical and center around the driving experience. That said your still going to want to take it on long drives to tracks, meets etc. That chick that thinks your car is hot is going to be disappointed to take your beater away for the weekend because her stuff won’t fit.

Once you guys get your car figure out how to get some more storage in it. The “S” comes with a tool kit in the trunk that sits in the bottom in a large tray. I took all the tools and jack out wrapped them up in socks to keep them from rattling and stored them in the “dish” of the spare tire rim which resides between the passenger seat and trunk. This enables me to get a large cooler and two large chairs that fold into sacks as well as small overnight bags in the trunk.

Most people I know actually took the spare completely out of the car and installed amps, cd changers etc in that area. The tire changing sequence is too cumbersome to get into here lets just say the spare has little use. You guys can find some additional room as well I’m sure… good luck!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Well, we don't get a spare, so removing that isn't an option. (Just a fancy can of fix-a-flat and the compressor to inject it) :willy:

It has been confirmed that two golf bags will fit with the top up and one with the top down. So there is some storage space. I'm hoping that if you were to stick to soft sided duffle bags that can conform to the odd shape of the storage are, you will still be able to fit enough for two people to do a weekend away. For longer trips, trips to the track, etc. we have been looking at various options for add-on storage.

We've heard that there will be an aftermarket luggage rack for the rear-deck lid, possibly with matching luggage. This is probably what I will go with, so long as it is removable, and does not require anything to be permamently afixed to the car.

Those that want more space, or are hoping to race at the track are looking into small trailers or towable racks, that can be towed behind.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If your lady can't get her stuff in the 1 cf space, I say get a new lady!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Lots of S2000 traffic lately...hum.

·
5,600 Posts
:spam:
Don't worry about us. We'll deal with it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
At this point, the trunk is what it is. We have discussed the small room and beaten the topic to death. There is nothing at this point that can really be done from a design standpoint. We know GM will be offering a luggage rack to go on the rear decklid to offer additional cargo carrying capability.

So either the potential buyer will decide they can deal with the amount of luggage space in the car and buy it, or decide there isn't enough room and move on to another car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Trunk Space

Fformula88 said:
At this point, the trunk is what it is. We have discussed the small room and beaten the topic to death. There is nothing at this point that can really be done from a design standpoint. We know GM will be offering a luggage rack to go on the rear decklid to offer additional cargo carrying capability.

So either the potential buyer will decide they can deal with the amount of luggage space in the car and buy it, or decide there isn't enough room and move on to another car.
I have seen the car and the trunk space sucks! My answer is to buy the Solstice Vert now and then sell it when the Solstice Coupe comes out hopefully in 2007. The Coupe should have a lot more storage space.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
mceb said:
Lots of S2000 traffic lately...hum.
Funny thing, huh mc?

When this forum was started up, I never dreamed that the S2000 would ever be compared to the Solstice... but I guess roadsters are their own niche.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
Funny thing, huh mc?

When this forum was started up, I never dreamed that the S2000 would ever be compared to the Solstice... but I guess roadsters are their own niche.
I would have agreed. First just the price. Price alone can place otherwise equal cars in entirely different brackets for comparison. Usually higher price denotes higher power and better performance. But not always. I think we'll see a bunch of people wondering why they paid $30k-$40k for certain roadsters that they don't even drive much. Example today is 97 Z3 with 7000 miles for just under $20k. That's less than 75 miles per month.

·
Registered
139 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
If your lady can't get her stuff in the 1 cf space, I say get a new lady!
:agree: I'm reminded on an old line on Seinfeld: "What are you, Diana Ross?"

Seriously, though, this is yet another reason I wish GM would get off its rear and hurry up with the coupe. They've got to realize that there are folks out there who are impressed with (and want) the Solstice but consider this version a little too impractical.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the S2K traded off looks for that decent sized trunk. One thing I never liked about the S2K is the back end of the car is so boring looking. So if sacrificing some space for a better looking rearend is needed than so be it. As much as I love the S2K technically I'd still take the Solstice even though it will certainly be slower. Now a solstice with the S2K's 00-03 engine would be perfect. ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
That chick that thinks your car is hot is going to be disappointed to take your beater away for the weekend because her stuff won’t fit.
Love a low mantanance women and low mantanance car. Seen a s2000 today and took a good look. Hands down I'll take the Sol and leave the hair drier home :yawn:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
aawil said:
Now a solstice with the S2K's 00-03 engine would be perfect. ;)
Wait until the HiPo Sols comes out next year ;)

As far as looks of the S2K go, IMO I honestly think it's cut from the same mold as Miata. Maybe I'm crazy ( :crazy: ) or need glasses but I can't tell them apart until I get within 25 feet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
S2000 Puke

Is it just me or are the S2000 fans in this forum spreading like an ugly cancer?
Complaint about this, complaint about that. Here's a thought for all those Solstice haters/S2000 lovers: Bundle all your Solstice complaints in one big piece and shove them up your........(oops, I forgot, I need to act polite in here....nevermind). Later!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
Wait until the HiPo Sols comes out next year ;)

As far as looks of the S2K go, I honestly IMO it's cut from the same mold as Miata. Maybe I'm crazy ( :crazy: ) or need glasses but I can't tell them apart until I get within 25 feet.
:agree: That's the way I see them too. And as for trunk space, it will keep me from hauling around a bunch of crap that I don't need. I probably have a hundred pounds of junk in the trunk of my '65 Malibu. Heck, I could probably fit a Miata in that trunk. But ya don't want too much junk in the trunk :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Space

If you do not have two cars you should not buy a Solstice it will be a night mare in the winter if you do'nt have winter your still out of storage. It's not a practical car.It is a sports car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am looking at duffle bags and using those vacuum storage bags. My gf does a lot of travelling and is great at packing small. she uses those vacuum bags and loves them. Get the ones that have the 1 way vents in them. We also make sure the hotels we stay in have a hair dryer, so she does not have to pack one of those.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Aardvark said:
:agree: I'm reminded on an old line on Seinfeld: "What are you, Diana Ross?"

Seriously, though, this is yet another reason I wish GM would get off its rear and hurry up with the coupe. They've got to realize that there are folks out there who are impressed with (and want) the Solstice but consider this version a little too impractical.
i have a suggestion for some aftermarket company, make a replacement decklid with a fastback roofline and a glass hatch, then encorporate a targa top that can be removed.... solves a lot of complaints on here...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Editguy said:
:agree: That's the way I see them too. And as for trunk space, it will keep me from hauling around a bunch of crap that I don't need. I probably have a hundred pounds of junk in the trunk of my '65 Malibu. Heck, I could probably fit a Miata in that trunk. But ya don't want too much junk in the trunk :)
Same here, in my '66 Malibu. If I need to dispose of a body, I know which car I'm using! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts