Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread a while back about owners reviews. I couldn't find it, so here is my input after 2 weeks with the car. I'll try to keep it short and sweet, but no promises.

Personal Great Stuff
- Beautiful car! :yesnod:
- Overall, love it! :yesnod:
- It rides great and is a lot of fun. :yesnod:
- Easiest car I've ever washed. Everything is smooth with no nooks and cranies to get into. Almost fun to wash. :)
- Wife loves it and that's all that really matters! :yesnod:
- Dealer was great. Even called to see how things were going. :cool:

Personal Observations
- Gets all kinds of attention. Can be fun and annoying at the same time.
- To the ney sayers like that jerk reviewer in Canada, get over it. Things like the door knob locks and window buttons are just fine. If anything it adds character. Those old roadsters you loved so much had all kinds of weird quirks and it's those things you still remember with fondness.
- We all know space is at a premium, but I think again it adds character. Found ourselves making a list of things to buy, and labeling them as "can do with top 'UP" or 'DOWN'." Hit all the stores listed as 'DOWN' first. It was like treasure hunting. How fun is that!
- Saves lots of room in the garage to walk around the front and back
- Passenger Air Bag light is very annoying at night. Should at least be hooked into the dimmer knob.
- Seats are hard to adjust, but if your over 5'-8", once you get them adjusted you'll never have to move them again cause they only go back and tilt so far.
- Front seat pockets feel cheap and appear that they will get stretched out fast
- Trunk requires a forceful slam. I keep giving it the baby push and that just doesn't work.
- I can't believe I'm saying this, but out of all the presets for the stereo EQ, the POP mode sounds the most accurate to me (we have the monsoon system by the way). Then from that setting I went to custom and turned down both the treble and the bass 1 click. Also moved the fader more up front by about 3 or 4 clicks. Sound from the rear speakers sounds like it's coming from out of an open man hole cover.

Typical GM Issues, some nit picky some not
- Strange paint scratches. These are in the paint, not the clear coat. Looks like they got 3 very small scratches on the hood, and were found by a quality person. Then they used 10 grit sand paper to rub out the scratches creating large 1" spots. Then they put clear coat over the top. They should have left the minor scratches alone; total idiots. :cuss:
- Paint is actually chipped on the drivers side under the back corner lip of the hood. That little black plastic rubber thingy is not installed properly and this corner has had an impact at some point. If you get just the right light on the car, you can see it in the reflections. :cuss:
- Window trim is not installed very well. It's totally inconsitant. Some places it sticks out and others it's turned under. For a car that's not supposed to leak, they sure did a crappy job here.
- Plastic panels are uneven in some places. For example, when standing outside the car on the passenger side, the gray plastic inside the door does a wave up, like a bump, so you can see it in 1 place.
- Dash knobs have an inconsitant feel. For example, of the 3 climate knobs, the 2 outer ones turn easy and "click" nicely, while the center one turns hard and "mushes" into it's click points. This is a GM pet pieve of mine, almost like they do it on purpose.
- Interior trim is not attached all that well. Try pulling up on a corner of the center console cover; feels like it's just laying there. Also try standing outside the car with the window and top down, and watch the interior door trim when you close the door; it looks really loose like it's falling off when you shut the door. I don't think the trim looks or feels cheap, but it's definitely attached cheap.
- Wish GM would stop leaving uncovered electrical tape from showing in the engine compartment. Another pieve of mine.

Personal Suggestions
- Read the suggestions thread on this forum!!! Things like don't put the seats back too far or you'll get a dreaded styrofoam sounding squeak are good things to know. Many others are listed in the other thread.
- Buy a small 1 button garage door opener and clip it to the right side of the drivers seat pocket for convienience. Or velcro it under the steering wheel.

Solstice Vs. Miata?
- I haven't even seen the new Miata, but I can imagine why magazines might say the Miata is a better car. It's probably just more refined overall. What do you expect for having 15 years to practice?
- GM did a great (almost awesome) job with this car, and we love it, but if they want to be building truly world class cars, they need to improve on the small stuff. They've gone 97% of the way with this car and gotten the hard stuff right. The rest should be easy, so they should do it. Is it too much to ask of the world's largest car maker to produce a perfect car?

Summary
This car is very cool. It looks bad ass (not cute!) and has a class and style all it's own. It's not perfect, but that's GM manufacturing for you. On this car though, for us, the possitives totally out weigh the minor issues. I wish we had 2.

That's all for now ---- Bonzo

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks Bonzo, great review. After it's had some play here in general I'll grab a copy for the member review thread archive.

:cool:

Oh, what is the last 6 of you VIN?

·
Registered
275 Posts
"- I haven't even seen the new Miata, but I can imagine why magazines might say the Miata is a better car. "
They don't all say that - one called performance a draw and strongly recoed the Solstice because of its superior styling. Another picked the Solstice for looks, plus the inferior handling of the Miata - they characterized the road
grip of the Miata as "fluffy and disconnected."

·
Registered
264 Posts
How is the 0-30 acceleration? Is it easy to pull away at a light, or do you have to work the engine a bit? Do you tend to leave the crowd or pull away with the crowd? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuxford said:
How is the 0-30 acceleration? Is it easy to pull away at a light, or do you have to work the engine a bit? Do you tend to leave the crowd or pull away with the crowd? Thanks.
We haven't "gotten on it yet" so to speak because we're still in the break in period (less than 1000 miles). You'll note in my review I didn't say much about the performance or handling, only that it rides great.

But I can tell you that other threads are absolutely correct when they say higher revs produce smoother take offs and shifts. And I've found 1st & 2nd to be nice, but 3rd can be a little doggish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts