Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
What is the "legal" earliest a car can come out and be called an '06 ? Feb '05 ?

Suspect a lot depends on the market, every month it is not out there, Pontiac is losing sales.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Summer is the earliest a new model year can roll out. Fall 05 was first published but someone on another board got a flyer in their GM card that said summer 05 :cool

Possible that they may push it up a few months to get some out in summer since they are convertibles? Pure speculation but keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would think summer '05 just because of it being a convertible. If they waited until the fall, sales wouldn't be nearly as good. I'll pre-order one so I of course want it sooner but even so, I would walk in and buy one no matter when they come out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
04 grand prix was on dealer lots in feb of 03.

it was eerie, one dealer near me had a couple of 04s, a bunch of 03s, and one 02 on the lot at the same time at one point.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think the big issue is how fast they can shut-down and retool that plant that's building Saturns. If they shut down sooner or make the retooling happen faster they can up the date...it's a business decision. Strike while the iron is hot I say :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bizz said:
04 grand prix was on dealer lots in feb of 03.

it was eerie, one dealer near me had a couple of 04s, a bunch of 03s, and one 02 on the lot at the same time at one point.
Yep, same thing happened with the 2003 Tiburons. I know many who had them in Jan/Feb 2002 and one I think claimed Dec '01! but that could have been his build date. Too long ago for this old brain. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
By law (and I paraphrase) the car year is based on the first January 1st it is offered for sale.

So, offer a car for sale on January 1st 2005 and it is a 2005 model. Do not offer that car for sale anywhere until January 2nd 2005 and it is a 2006 car. That is because the FIRST January 1st the car is for sale is January 1st 2006!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting info Acura TL- I had not heard that before.

So, why would Volvo be calling the new S40 a 2004.5 S40, rather than a 2005? It is a completely new model, and will be going on sale in about a month or so I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solstice release date

As far as I know, the Solstice is being built at GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant. That plant is currently producing the Saturn L-Series. According to recent news reports, the L-Series is being discontinued late this spring/early summer. That means that the plant needs to retool once the last L-Series rolls off the line and that takes time. However, because the Solstice is a "niche" vehicle, meaning that it is produced in small numbers, turnaround time for the plant might be substantially lower - at least for the Solstice (the L-Series was run on a line that was originally intended to produce a higher volume of vehicles). While Saturn lovers are mourning the loss of a good, solid family car, Pontiac enthusiasts are reaping the gain as GM readies plant space for the amazingly-anticipated Solstice.
The bottome line, I would think, would be that the first Solstice pilot vehicles wouldn't be out until at least fall 2005, with the first production models making their way to showrooms by very early 2006. Anything built after January 1, 2005 can be declared a 2006 model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry - screwed up my dates....the post I had written should have projected the Solstice pilot vehicles in fall 2004 with the first production vehicles rolling off the line in early 2005. SORRY!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Solstice release date

Solstice2006 said:
As far as I know, the Solstice is being built at GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant. That plant is currently producing the Saturn L-Series. According to recent news reports, the L-Series is being discontinued late this spring/early summer. That means that the plant needs to retool once the last L-Series rolls off the line and that takes time. However, because the Solstice is a "niche" vehicle, meaning that it is produced in small numbers, turnaround time for the plant might be substantially lower - at least for the Solstice (the L-Series was run on a line that was originally intended to produce a higher volume of vehicles). While Saturn lovers are mourning the loss of a good, solid family car, Pontiac enthusiasts are reaping the gain as GM readies plant space for the amazingly-anticipated Solstice.
The bottome line, I would think, would be that the first Solstice pilot vehicles wouldn't be out until at least fall 2005, with the first production models making their way to showrooms by very early 2006. Anything built after January 1, 2005 can be declared a 2006 model.
i read on another site the same info on the L series demise. it also stated

" In other Saturn news, the slow selling L300 is entering its final weeks of production. The "Final 600" will feature Electric Lime paint, black leather, a DVD entertainment center, and special factory installed NOS system. The VUE, the one Saturn model that people aren't embarassed to be seen in, will be mostly unchanged, other than the Red Line SS model which will feature a supercharged 3800 V6, a 6-speed manual and AWD."

·
Registered
10 Posts
2006solstice said:
Interesting info Acura TL- I had not heard that before.

So, why would Volvo be calling the new S40 a 2004.5 S40, rather than a 2005? It is a completely new model, and will be going on sale in about a month or so I believe.
I do not know. They could call it a 2005 if they so choose. But, I guess for some marketing reason they are going for 2004.5. I would be interested to see what was on the TITLE of the car when registered with the state.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts