Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rumor has it that the normal car carriers have a 7% incline and the solstice can only manage a 5% incline so they have to bring in the trucks used to carry corvettes ( which are also inclination challenged) to transport our solstices. could be another reason delivery is taking a little longer.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Don't forget that the Solstice has the lowest g.c. of GM vehicles, even lower than the C6.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Fformula88 said:
According to C/D specs, only 3.6 inches! :eek:
I think that's ground clearance- not CG. CG= Center of Gravity which is derived from adding up all the locations of mass and adding them together. It would be a serious fear to have a CG of only 3.6 inches...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
According to my Calculations!......

Solstice Lover said:
I think that's ground clearance- not CG. CG= Center of Gravity which is derived from adding up all the locations of mass and adding them together. It would be a serious fear to have a CG of only 3.6 inches...
:lurk: :nopity: :lol:

G

·
cdb said:
rumor has it that the normal car carriers have a 7% incline and the solstice can only manage a 5% incline so they have to bring in the trucks used to carry corvettes ( which are also inclination challenged) to transport our solstices. could be another reason delivery is taking a little longer.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the deal with a 7% versus 5% incline?

·
Registered
479 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the deal with a 7% versus 5% incline?
Having a shroud and not having a shroud, or muffler, or tail pipe, or oil pan, etc. etc. ;)

G

·
del_utz said:
Having a shroud and not having a shroud, or muffler, or tail pipe, or oil pan, etc. etc. ;)
Interesting. Thanks :thumbs:

This will be my first convertible. Furthermore, it is a radical departure from what I currently drive, which is a Ford F150 with 11" of lift. It might be a tad difficult getting used to having my backside so low to the ground. :lol:

G

·
achieftain said:
Don't forget that the Solstice has the lowest g.c. of GM vehicles, even lower than the C6.

Excellent advice. I have a REAL bad habit of taking speed bumps as fast as I can. But then again, I have a lifted truck. I will have to correct that dang fast. :lol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Low ground clearance versus incline

BadAzSolstice said:
Because the body of Solstice is low to the ground, when you approach an inclined ramp from a flat surface, the nose of the vehicle may wind up touching down on the ramp before the tires start climbing the front of the ramp sufficiently to keep the nose from touching, like this:

Similarly, when going over a bump or "kink" where the ramp levels out, you can scrape the center of the car as the front wheels proceed out along the straight part before the rear wheels have lifted the center of the car sufficiently to avoid the "peak" of the ramp. In off roading, this is called "high centering" and it occurs when the curvature at the top of an obstacle is sharper than the ground clearance will permit the vehicle to clear, like this:

To eliminate these problems, you can do 3 things.
  1. you can decrease the "overhangs" on the front and back (the amount the nose and tail protrude past the wheels)
  2. you can decrease the wheel base (bring the front and back wheels closer together)
  3. you can increase the distance from the bottom of the vehicle to the ground by raising the suspension and increasing the height of the tires.

Doing the first (decreasing the overhangs) has some advantages, but the second (shortening the wheel base) can reduce high speed stability. The third (raising the suspension and increasing the height of the tires) has two negative effects:
  1. Increasing the height of the center of gravity and changing the roll center of the vehicle
  2. Increasing the amount of air that goes under the car thereby increasing rolling resistance through increased drag.

The advice to be careful about speed bumps is well taken, because even if the speed bump is only 3 inches tall, you must gently lower the front and rear wheels down from on top of the bump to avoid the jounce and concomitant suspension compression which will actually cause the car to spring lower on it's suspension and potentially bounce down onto the speed bump.

For inclines, this also matters for a driveway: If the driveway apron is very steep, and fairly short, you can wind up scraping the nose, and the underside between the wheels as you drive into the driveway. The same holds true for parking lot entrances, so caution will be well advised for transitions from the street up driveway aprons and back again.

Hope this helped a bit.

G

·
Crimson Avenger said:
For inclines, this also matters for a driveway, If the driveway apron is very steep, and fairly short, you can wind up scraping the nose, and the underside between the wheels as you drive into the driveway. The same holds true for parking lot entrances, so caution will be well advised for transitions from the street up driveway aprons.

Hope this helped a bit.

Great stuff. Thanks :thumbs:

My driveway apron is somewhat steep I think. I don't really notice it when pulling my truck in. To be safe, I will approach it at an angle.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Avenger,

That was a very well thought out and descriptive explanation. The drawing helped to illustrate the point.

Members like you are just one of the reasons I'm glad I found this site.

Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Crimson Avenger,I liked you pithy explanation,no bloviating.The no spin forum. :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
in my '79 camaro I have to be very careful about speed bumps and inclines too. I've learned that when going up inclines, the less straight on you start to go up the better. so that means instead of pulling straight up into the driveway, start going up at a 45* angle. This is somewhat hard to do when going over speed bumps but if you can get so not all 4 wheels have to go over them then that is better then just going straight over. Plus going as slow as possible helps.

Has anybody thought about not being able to take these through automatic car washes?? I can't drive my camaro through them because the undercarriage catches on some of the mechanisims in them; I don't know how many shifter cables I've had to replace due to getting snagged in the carwashes. Eventually I just gave up using them altogether.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good info, I drive a Mercury Sable and its seems like now I 'm gonna have to start thinkin when I drive w/ the Sol. Drive-in movies will be interesting w/ the grass and mounds I have to park on and I know I will be doing a lot more of those next summer with the top down

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anticd70 said:
Good info, I drive a Mercury Sable and its seems like now I 'm gonna have to start thinkin when I drive w/ the Sol. Drive-in movies will be interesting w/ the grass and mounds I have to park on and I know I will be doing a lot more of those next summer with the top down
Drive-ins still exist??? ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Crimson Avenger said:
Because the body of Solstice is low to the ground, when you approach an inclined ramp from a flat surface, the nose of the vehicle may wind up touching down on the ramp before the tires start climbing the front of the ramp sufficiently to keep the nose from touching, like this:

Similarly, when going over a bump or "kink" where the ramp levels out, you can scrape the center of the car as the front wheels proceed out along the straight part before the rear wheels have lifted the center of the car sufficiently to avoid the "peak" of the ramp. In off roading, this is called "high centering" and it occurs when the curvature at the top of an obstacle is sharper than the ground clearance will permit the vehicle to clear, like this:

not much overhang on a solstice... mostly ground clearance i bet.
since Mazda hired Holzhausen(sp?) away maybe you could be his replacement- you have the gift, i think
:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks! Glad to Help

cdb said:
not much overhang on a solstice... mostly ground clearance i bet.
since Mazda hired Holzhausen(sp?) away maybe you could be his replacement- you have the gift, i think
:yesnod:
Thanks, cdb, that's very high praise. Thanks also for the kind words, SATCH, MI Sol, and BadAzSolstice. :cool:

I added the drawings after I'd written the article.

Thanks also BadAzSolstice and simmonsmb for reminding me that you can sometimes reduce the problem with an angeled approach to the driveway. :thumbs:

I've gotten so much valuable information myself from the solsticeforum, that I try to give something back whenever I can. :)

By the way, that is the correct spelling ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
You guys forgot about dips...

There's a street here in Ventura, CA that I took my '69 Firebird down...it's wicked narrow but pretty much straight as an arrow and in a residential area. It was about 3am and I decided to fly down it from a dead stop and accelerate all the way thru...I hit a few dips along the way....the sparks were REALLY pretty...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.