Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this car, and the saturn Sky will be the Mustang [60's] of this generation. i remember [when i was a kid] people lining up outside the ford dealers in '67 waiting to buy a mustang!

This new range of cars is going to be the same. i hope that GM will be able to ramp up production enough to cover the demand. It would be great if GM doesnt follow what Chrysler did when they started selling the PT.

i will wait for this car even though i almost bought a Z4. I dont need burled walnut in a car, or electronic stuff that i dont use.

just judging by the buzz on this board, i know this is going to the biggest thing that GM has done since the 50's.

Cant wait to get one of these cars!!!!

i also cant believe i went into a pontiac dealer!!! never in my wildest dreams would i have considered a pontiac!!! Lutz RULES!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I totally agree with you. If they get everything right which it sounds like they will based on information on this forum. It is affordable and it looks like it should cost $40-50K. This could be a huge seller for Pontiac. The nicest thiing of all is if you want it to be very basic you can get it that way and not have to have a bunch of add-ons that you wouldn't use anyway. I ordered this car and the main reasons were cost and looks. I have a 1984 Fiat Spyder which I'm trying to restore. I already have as much invested in it as the Solstice costs. Thank-you Mr. Lutz for your vision of introducing an affordable roadster.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You just might be right on . . .

Cool Car said:
I think this car, and the saturn Sky will be the Mustang [60's] of this generation. i remember [when i was a kid] people lining up outside the ford dealers in '67 waiting to buy a mustang!

This new range of cars is going to be the same. i hope that GM will be able to ramp up production enough to cover the demand. It would be great if GM doesnt follow what Chrysler did when the started selling the PT.

i will wait for this car even though i almost bought a Z4. I dont need burled walnut in a car, or electronic stuff that i dont use.

Cant wait to get one of these cars!!!!
I suspect that you may have hit the nail on the head with the Solstice. I have seen both cars (Sol and Sky) up close and personal at the Dallas Car Show this past Spring (Took some nice pics, too . .. since the siver car at the show was exactly as I had ordered it. See my avitar.), and the Sol is sooooo much prettier, cleaner and appealing. With the startup price in the low $20k area, this is going to be a very popular car for the city commuter who wants a little pizzaz and still have a couple of dollars in his/her pocket after the purchase.

I, too, can wait until they get it right. I was really worried about the trunk space until BIG JOHN gave us those great pictures with the golf bag in the back. Not worried any longer. I do not plan on long trips for this car, but around town it will be a blast to drive and very popular with the rubber-neckers, box stock! I remember how I was approached everytime I would put gas in my ole red Porsche Speedster, and this will the same thing, just you wait and see.

Bring it on, Pontiac . . . ! :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cool Car said:

This new range of cars is going to be the same. i hope that GM will be able to ramp up production enough to cover the demand. It would be great if GM doesnt follow what Chrysler did when the started selling the PT.
While I do not doubt the Solstice will always have a certain level of collector appeal I think it's important to remember why the Mustang became an instant classic...it was a sports car for the family man. Every guy wanted a Vette but could not afford it, nor the Vette's lack of utility. That's what made the 'pony' cars like the 'stang and Camaro so sought after. The 'pony' cars also had no contemporaries to compare. In the 60's cars were fat and barge-like, the 'stang could handle better than any of them.

I'll take the Solstice because it is the car of MY generation. The sexy little import of the 60's. Like the MG, Jaguar, and healy's of the 60's the solstice is coming out in a decade of big, massive, gas-guzzling american heavy's (SUV's and trucks everywhere). I'm tired of driving, and seeing these behemouths. It's time for this guy to get back to the delights of a SPORTS car...you can keep the utility!

·
Registered
139 Posts
AZJuez said:
I remember how I was approached everytime I would put gas in my ole red Porsche Speedster, and this will the same thing, just you wait and see.

its funny you say that. i would like to get a silver solstice, and to me i always thought of it as a modern silver porsche speedster. dont have any real good reasons why, thats just the association i made.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
AZJuez said:
I suspect that you may have hit the nail on the head with the Solstice. I have seen both cars (Sol and Sky) up close and personal at the Dallas Car Show this past Spring (Took some nice pics, too . .. since the siver car at the show was exactly as I had ordered it. See my avitar.), and the Sol is sooooo much prettier, cleaner and appealing. With the startup price in the low $20k area, this is going to be a very popular car for the city commuter who wants a little pizzaz and still have a couple of dollars in his/her pocket after the purchase.

I, too, can wait until they get it right. I was really worried about the trunk space until BIG JOHN gave us those great pictures with the golf bag in the back. Not worried any longer. I do not plan on long trips for this car, but around town it will be a blast to drive and very popular with the rubber-neckers, box stock! I remember how I was approached everytime I would put gas in my ole red Porsche Speedster, and this will the same thing, just you wait and see.

I know how it feels to have people always looking at my car (66 Chevy Corvair Coupe) and asking me questions about it, since most people under the age of 20 have never even seen one before.... and I am sure My sky will do the same thing...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If GM had just been first with the new generation roadster/sportscar...Mazda defined the new generation of droptop two seater. But I'll take the Pontiac over the MX-5 any day. I believe the Sol does for Pontiac what the '55 vette (still first design of '53 but finally a proper V8) did for Chevy. Pontiac, however, will keep THIS car true to it's school.

·
Registered
245 Posts
2 sol's in calgary right now

hey everybody. i am new to this site. has anybody ever heard of the calgary stampede. it's on right now here in canada, and there are 2 solstice's here. :cool:
1 is victory red w/cloth
2 is deep w/ ebony leather ...... sweeeeeeeet

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
jester316 said:
hey everybody. i am new to this site. has anybody ever heard of the calgary stampede. it's on right now here in canada, and there are 2 solstice's here. :cool:
1 is victory red w/cloth
2 is deep w/ ebony leather ...... sweeeeeeeet
Are they doin' barrel racing with them? "Git along little dogie" got confused with "Get Around", they missed the CA surf by a few miles. :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
ordered my sol may 5, started to think it was a waste of time, but today i got an eye full of SOL... i now know why we are all waiting patiently. THIS CAR IS SOLSWEET. WE ARE ALL IN FOR GOOD TIMES :party:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I HAVE ALREADY ENTERED. I SHOULD HAVE IT SOON... :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.