Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine let me drive the Solstice the other day and I heard the imfamous "clunk" when shifting. I know everone has a different tolerance for different things, but this would annoy me if it happened all the time. I have read many of the threads regarding this and I for one cannot believe GM would say this is acceptable. My passion for the car has not changed, as I plan on getting the turbo model, however their is something to be said about getting the first model in a first year production car. If they "correct" this problem for the 07 year, I would be upset if I had an 06 with the clunk. That in itself if corrected would prove that is CAN be corrected, so why not correct it now. I understand the cars production was slowed down due to quality issues, although during this time demand was increasing. Could it be that they had to ignore some issues that required more work than they expected to correct the problem, I hope not. In either case, I hope they address this flaw and do something about it for all the owners out there. Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
:agree:

Before I got mine, I thought maybe some people were overreacting to a minor noise. However, the clunk in mine sounds quite excessive. I'm checking into it this weekend to see if I can't tell exactly what the source of the noise is. If for nothing else, just for my peace-of-mind's sake. The sound is a little disturbing to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Got cheated!

Had ours almost a week now and still no clunk! I wonder if Pontiac can send me a clunk as next month's gift? :lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
...it's like...

dave clancy said:
Hpw do you discribe the sound of a clunk is it a vibration or a grinding sound?
"oh, oh, hot dog! clunk".
:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
dave clancy said:
Hpw do you discribe the sound of a clunk is it a vibration or a grinding sound?
Neither. Sounds more linkage, parts shifting type of noise. I don't get it much so am not the expert in the clunk :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
My experience is it happens when the car is cold, first couple of times
going from 1st to 2nd (only). Higher RPM's seem to lessen it but not eliminate it. After the car is warm it shifts quietly.

I was just wondering if after more miles things are better or worse?

Don't have to many on mine just yet, been away and its been bad weather here for weeks. Nice today and will take her out.

Keep the post coming.

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Bought_It said:
My experience is it happens when the car is cold, first couple of times
going from 1st to 2nd (only). Higher RPM's seem to lessen it but not eliminate it. After the car is warm it shifts quietly.
:agree:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a hydraulic clutch with a slave cylinder or is it a shift by wire (electronic) system or is it in fact a mechanical linkage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
To me it still sounds like a vibration generated rattle more than a clunk. That its not there everytime you shift suggests that within a certain speed and/or RPM range it disappears. Its my choice for a first mechanical recall notice. After peoples trans, universals, or rear ends start dynomiting! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Once again, it is not indicative of any type of imminent failure.

Key word: "imminent" ;)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I feared the "clunk" was some big defect in the car. After finally driving one, the dull sound reminded me of all my previous manually equipped cars. Even my '86 Acura Integra had a mild clunk in it.

The second I heard it, I knew it was par for the course. Maybe high end machines don't do this, but all the manuals I've owned 1968 Mustang, 1986 Integra, 1992 Toyota 4x4 - that had a real good clunk!) have had it to some extent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Does the clunk happen at higher RPMs? Does it happen more if you shift slowly between gears? I wonder if this has anything to do with the sync.

I notice that mine, though I have no noise, shifts much easier if you shift quickly or with more RPMs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
dave clancy said:
Hpw do you discribe the sound of a clunk is it a vibration or a grinding sound?
no vibration or grinding. i call it more of a knock than a clunk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Mine has done it frequently enough to be annoying, even after warming up. One thread suggested insufficient cushioning on a mount somewhere like the differential or something as a potential cause. That seems a good guess as it is not dependent on the vehicles velocity per se...though it is most noticeable at slower speeds, and it isnt routinely reproducible. It takes the right combination of multiple factors including the car in motion to generate the sound and a tactile clunk through the shifter. Also, shifting into 5th is occasionally difficult.

It's not poor shift technique and Ive operated enough internal combustion engine driven equipement over the years to bet this is a gliche and not just a usual manual tran RWD "thing" to be expected and tolerated in a convertible. I also suspect that it isnt easy to track down and fix or GM would have sorted it out sooner. If the later builds have it eliminated, then GM better darn well have a fix for my #382 or Im gonna be miffed.

I'll cut them some slack for now, but this effects my overall satisfaction with the car. Ive driven enough manuals over the years to know this is unusual behavior, even if it isnt threatening. I know we pressured to have the car delivered ASAP, but consistantly smooth, reasonably quiet shifting is the norm in the industry and I want a fix. I can dirve the car as is until one's available, but GM had better understand it's too noticeable to ignore or tolerate indefinitely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
it's a shame

RichSol said:
"oh, oh, hot dog! clunk".
:cool:
I guess there are no Mad TV fans here. Too bad. We are getting to be sooooo serious all the time.
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Mine has no clunk. One Solstice buyer reported saying he asked God to give his Solstice a little more trunk. God thought he said clunk. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Solstick said:
Mine has done it frequently enough to be annoying, even after warming up. One thread suggested insufficient cushioning on a mount somewhere like the differential or something as a potential cause. That seems a good guess as it is not dependent on the vehicles velocity per se...though it is most noticeable at slower speeds, and it isnt routinely reproducible. It takes the right combination of multiple factors including the car in motion to generate the sound and a tactile clunk through the shifter. Also, shifting into 5th is occasionally difficult.

It's not poor shift technique and Ive operated enough internal combustion engine driven equipement over the years to bet this is a gliche and not just a usual manual tran RWD "thing" to be expected and tolerated in a convertible. I also suspect that it isnt easy to track down and fix or GM would have sorted it out sooner. If the later builds have it eliminated, then GM better darn well have a fix for my #382 or Im gonna be miffed.

I'll cut them some slack for now, but this effects my overall satisfaction with the car. Ive driven enough manuals over the years to know this is unusual behavior, even if it isnt threatening. I know we pressured to have the car delivered ASAP, but consistantly smooth, reasonably quiet shifting is the norm in the industry and I want a fix. I can dirve the car as is until one's available, but GM had better understand it's too noticeable to ignore or tolerate indefinitely.
Well said, Solstick. I agree with you that GM should fix this issue and that it is reasonable for you to expect consistently smooth and quiet shifting.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top