Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the convertable top be automatic when the car is first introduced? Also, if the automatic transmission is not introduced on the first release of the car, how long would it take for the automatic transmission to be available?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
According to everything that's been said about the roof (which isn't that much really) we know for sure it's going to be a manual roof. There may be an automatic option, but nothing of that type has ever been mentioned before.

Same with the automatic transmission, there's been no real word at all about it existing, or if it will when it would. But as many of us have talked about before, its a roadster. Roadster == manual transmission, ATX bad :D The Pontiac team agrees according to the Edmunds.com review.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ah, you ask many questions, grasshopper.

We're pretty sure the top will be manual operation only.

We're also pretty sure the automatic trans, assuming there will be one, should follow no sooner than second model year (2007 MY sold in approx Aug 06) and probably no later than start of 2008 model year.

None of this has been confirmed nor denied by GM officially. Crimony, we haven't even seen an operating manual top yet.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Silverton64 said:
Will the convertable top be automatic when the car is first introduced? Also, if the automatic transmission is not introduced on the first release of the car, how long would it take for the automatic transmission to be available?
Just wanted to add... Welcome to the forum!! :party

I don't have too much to add to what everyone has said. The softtop is still nearly a complete mystery. No one has seen a final version of the softtop up, or one that was opperational. There were some rag-tag tops on some test mules in England, but they may or may not have been indicative of what the final top will be like. The only thing we are fairly certain about is that it will be a manual top. There is also some fear that it will have to be operated from outside of the car since the rear hatch will need to be opened to retract it.

Due to the small market for manuals, we all have surmised an automatic trans will be offered at some point too. But GM has yet to announce one for production.

Just keep your eyes peeled and ears open! If any news breaks, I am certain it will be on this forum not long after. Combined, we have been very efficient at posting the latest news! Also, look for more around the Detroit Auto Show. I am betting GM has more to say around that timeframe.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Just saw a solstice last night.

WITH THE TOP UP. Decent, glossy black, with some stripes on it. I tried to stop and turn around to chase it, but there's some construction on roads around here and the traffic was impossible. I was on my way up to Highland (M59) after work, and it was travelling on a gravel road, near the Proving Ground.

Anyways, the top looked very much like the top on the england mules, especially in the rear. There are two wings that go to the decklid - that's all I could make out in the few seconds I had.

This was obviously a later build car, because it had silverish grilles, chromed headlamp assemblies, and a prominent Pontiac symbol on the front - I think it also may have had some badging, but not possible to tell, not enough time.

So, I would conclude that the england mules, at least in appearance, may be more representative than we thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys so much for responding so fast to my question. This information has helped alot. I have another question now from your responces: If the solstice doesn't come with an automatic convertable top, is it possible to install one professionally?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Great! :cheers In your brief sighting, did you like the look, overall? Could you make out if the back glass was flat?
From my memory, it looked flat - almost exactly like the european mule, like the rear view of the far one here - just a lot nicer, smoother, no visible flap like the one shown here.

The wheels looked exactly like the wheels on the production NAIAS solstice - we were only travelling about 15-20MPH in opposite directions, so I got a decent peek.

The overall look was immediately recognizable, definitlely distinctive, and very, very nice.

Silverton64 said:
Who could be driving the solstice, if it's not out yet?
Presumably the GM engineers doing the system tuning, from engine calibration, to brake, windnoise, ride and handling, all of those systems that have to come together to make a car.

They can't do all their work on the GM Proving Ground - it is necessary to drive the car in the real world and find out how it is in everyday driving.

Those of us that travel through and live around the GM Proving Ground see vehicles like this all the time. I've seen HHR's, C6 corvettes (even a convertible or two), Solstices. A healthy number of SSR's and Hummer H2's, once they were shown at autoshows but before they went into production. Hardly ever see a vehicle that has not been announced, though, or if I do it's heavily camo'd.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Wow, great sighting! I am jealous of all you people who live around the proving grounds and get to see GM’s latest and greatest before they are out! Hopefully this is another very good sign that the Solstice project is either on schedule, or even better ahead of schedule if they have another mule running around on public roads. Intro is still a long way off, and it seems like they have been doing an awful lot of behind the wheel driving already.

But next time, be sure to carry a camera wherever you go! We cannot have you miss another opportunity to snap a pic of one of these mules!! :lol :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I don't think it's a mule. It must be some sort of later, more complete build (used to be called mules, alpha builds, beta builds, gamma, then the plant builds - before that used to be mules, pre prototype, prototype, pre-production....)

I'd guess this is better than a mule, but not built in the plant. If you'd like to purchase one of these for me, I'd be happy to carry it...

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=8280

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw a Solstice on the back of a flatbed truck a few months ago. It was a flat black paint job, and the convertible top was the same as on the England test mules. Actually, I'm thinking the one I saw was one of the England test mules, due to the many similarities.

I've also seen a few LaCrosses, an H3, and other cars out and about on public Michigan roads.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope they didn't get rid of those flying winglets on the top that attach to the bumps like some ferrari spyders have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The top is manual. But that's all i know about it. A roadster has to look just as good with the top up. With the two head/bump things, it 'd have to curve around them. I've looked at 911 turbo's and didn't like them because of the top. and after looking at the testmule picture it looks okay from the side but just drops off to the rear window. If anyone's got some good pictures, please share. :smile

1 - 20 of 25 Posts