Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
And these guys know what they are doing..:leaving: You always use a spring compressor when changing coil springs.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I actually take it one step further (after punching a hole through the wall of my shop). I safety wire the spring after compressing it with the spring compressor.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I actually take it one step further (after punching a hole through the wall of my shop). I safety wire the spring after compressing it with the spring compressor.
Not a bad idea at all:thumbs:. When working with coil springs if you want to keep your body parts CAUTION is the main idea right next to SAFETY.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It pays to do your homework and know if the spring is still under tension. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get done decompressing a spring.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If you look closely, it seems they WERE using a spring compressor. You can see the shiny hex head at the bottom centered on the spring. This isn't a strut or coilover suspension, so they were using the type of compressor that you put through the center of the spring. Either they didn't install it right, or the compressor failed...

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Not a bad idea at all:thumbs:. When working with coil springs if you want to keep your body parts CAUTION is the main idea right next to SAFETY.
Exactly. When mine went, it was a metal defect in the spring compressor that gave way. The pin holding the bottom hook sheared off. It is amazing the amount of energy those damn things contain. I treat every coil spring like it is a hand grenade about to go off.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I will give the guy credit..I don't think Jesus Christ would have been the first words out of my mouth.:devil: It took me several times watching it, but I did finally see the Spring Compressor Nut..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts