Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I've been waiting for it. It finally started today....48,500 miles....great.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With all the posts of waterpumps failers, I decide to have my 06(NA) cooling system flush at the local GM dealership. The dealership cooling system flush comes with a warranty. As long as I change it again within the next 30,000 miles, they will cover repairs (up to $4000) for the waterpump, heater core, and radiator. Might be just a matter of time before I used it. Let us know how everthing works out

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomato...thanks for jinksing me! I do find it odd that after I spotted it leaking, I drove it home, 45 minutes (about 33 miles) without losing a single drop of coolant. How am I going to explain that to the dealer?!?! My buddy actually said that she (my car) was mad at me because I was giving her a tramp stamp (wind restrictor)...LMAO!! :glol:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Tomato...thanks for jinksing me! I do find it odd that after I spotted it leaking, I drove it home, 45 minutes (about 33 miles) without losing a single drop of coolant. How am I going to explain that to the dealer?!?! My buddy actually said that she (my car) was mad at me because I was giving her a tramp stamp (wind restrictor)...LMAO!! :glol:
Well I sorta went thru the same scenario last year, thought it was leaking and fluid kept being missed. I have a NA sky BTW.. Anyways I take it to the dealer and they say its not leaking anywhere, (they even took me into the back to prove it). So What we did was just flush out the system and put some fresh coolant into it. Been running 100% since then, no leaks, no missing fluids, just keeps humming along. Perhaps your coolant is worn out and just needs replacing. BTW, they use a pressurized gizmo to check for leaks...Good luck!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grrrrr........spirited driving for over 45 minutes and not one drop.....:cuss:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove it all the way to Grand Rapids and back (300+ miles), didn't lose a drop of coolant!! WTH?!?!??! I'm begining to think my buddy was right.... (See above post)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Drove it all the way to Grand Rapids and back (300+ miles), didn't lose a drop of coolant!! WTH?!?!??! I'm begining to think my buddy was right.... (See above post)
Actually no, it will return, it did it with me also, just replace your coolant and be done with it if it hasn't been done in a long time..:lurk::devil:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually no, it will return, it did it with me also, just replace your coolant and be done with it if it hasn't been done in a long time..:lurk::devil:
So are you saying it will return or it won't? I'm confused.... :willy:

·
Registered
534 Posts
With all the posts of waterpumps failers, I decide to have my 06(NA) cooling system flush at the local GM dealership. The dealership cooling system flush comes with a warranty. As long as I change it again within the next 30,000 miles, they will cover repairs (up to $4000) for the waterpump, heater core, and radiator. Might be just a matter of time before I used it. Let us know how everthing works out
Are you saying that GM puts a warranty on the cooling system when you get it flushed with them? I have never heard of this. If it is true then I will be doing this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
R&T- When I as the service consultant how much they charge for a cooling system flush, he said about $120 . I told him that seem steep (local shop charges $50) , but he said it come with a warranty. As long as you have less than 30,000 miles, will cover waterpump, heater core, and radiator repair up to $4000. If the car has between 30,000-60,000 miles will cover up to $2000 for repairs. They started this about 2 years ago.
I figured this was a good investment, took me over 6 years to get 27,000 miles on the solstice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had my water pump replaced yesterday by the dealer. I'm just over 50k miles so I had to pay for the repair, plus pay for the system flush and new thermostat. I've been reading a lot about this problem with several Solstice owners, different makes and models. Why was this not a recall? GM wouldn't budget on helping me with the expenses.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
The waterpump should be covered under the power train warranty. That is 5 years from the inservice date or 100 thousand miles. Check your inservice date to see if the warranty was still in effect when the repair was done.

You can find the inservice date by having your GM dealer pull a maintenance record from the database.

·
Registered
728 Posts
So are you saying it will return or it won't? I'm confused.... :willy:
What returned with me was coolant fluid again disappearing we were unable to say or see where it went, nothing ever under the car... drove me crazy.. finally
I took it into the dealer, pressure checked system, no leaks, went ahead and did a flush and fresh coolant, no more problems.. sorry for the confusion..

·
Registered
534 Posts
R&T- When I as the service consultant how much they charge for a cooling system flush, he said about $120 . I told him that seem steep (local shop charges $50) , but he said it come with a warranty. As long as you have less than 30,000 miles, will cover waterpump, heater core, and radiator repair up to $4000. If the car has between 30,000-60,000 miles will cover up to $2000 for repairs. They started this about 2 years ago.
I figured this was a good investment, took me over 6 years to get 27,000 miles on the solstice.
I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. I guess I will check into this as my wifes is due for a coolant change. She only has 13k on it but it has been 5 years of the same coolant. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the water pump issue but the way she drives the car it might be another 15-20 years before it goes. Better safe than sorry. The pump might go sooner than 40k.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...just confirmed by the dealer.... It is the waterpump. 48,500 miles. Great!!! So I'm good for another 40k hopefully!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Does anyone know why the waterpumps are failing? Is it a seal, bearing, what?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well...just confirmed by the dealer.... It is the waterpump. 48,500 miles. Great!!! So I'm good for another 40k hopefully!
OR better lets hope, supposedly (and hopefully) you are getting the "newer" version.. They have a new part number I have been told.. Good LUCK!!:yesnod: That ALSO means a flush and fresh coolant, I'll wager a dinner that you be fine now..:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Does anyone know why the waterpumps are failing? Is it a seal, bearing, what?
Honestly? AND this is MY opinion, poor design, and/or manufacturing or both..:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine failed at the rear seal. The problme with the pump is it looks like its actually 4 seperate piece.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts