Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I haven't seen a GM car in while (or any newer car for that matter) that didn't have a tethered gas cap. Of course this really doesn't answer your question, but I would think it would be tethered.

And you're right, that is the dumbest question so far, but hey, I took the time to respond, so what does that say about me? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
kevbo1121 said:
good question! i have one to, the rear window is it glass, lexan or what?

That has been answered before! Its glass.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
With standard wire grid defroster.


Oh and I have to add I just saw a blurb on capless gas fillers (autoclosing) similar to NASCAR and IndyRL just stick the spout in , fill and pull out. No more lost caps, but scratches all over the filler if you are in a non self-serve state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Section 5,page 8,of the owners manual, shows an illustration of a gas door open with the tether to the gas cap.So it's a positive that the gas cap is tethered. :yesnod: :cool:
Also section2 page34 it mentions when top is lowered that there are no objects in the trunk that could break the rear glass window. :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Technical Question, Not Dumb!

Dude, you're way too hard on yourself. This is a good question, not a dumb one. If you want to be technical about the "dumbest" question in this forum, that award would have to go to the "I'm concerned about the size of the trunk" issue! Later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
CalBear said:
Dude, you're way too hard on yourself. This is a good question, not a dumb one. If you want to be technical about the "dumbest" question in this forum, that award would have to go to the "I'm concerned about the size of the trunk" issue! Later!
I was always told the dumbest question is the one not asked. Why would being concerned about the trunk size be dumb and who are you to refer to someone in that text. If this is someones only car then trunk size could be an issue. Not everyone in this forum car afford to have this just as a play car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
I think my question about how the 3rd cupholder opens may be dumber...

And just to prove my intelligence, here's another.



What's a "non self-serve state", achieftain? I take it some states don't let you pump your own gas? :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I think my question about how the 3rd cupholder opens may be dumber...

And just to prove my intelligence, here's another.



What's a "non self-serve state", achieftain? I take it some states don't let you pump you own gas? :confused:
Yep - Oregon and NJ, to my knowlege. One time I hit a fuel station on the turnpike in NJ, hopped out and started pumping. This little guy came out and started yelling at me - I kept telling him I had it handled, and he resorted to screaming at me how dangerous it is and how I was doing his job and what I was doing was illegal... VERY weird - I've been pumping my own gasoline for as long as I've been driving...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In NY, they take the stoppers off the handles so you HAVE to stand there and squeeze the handle. And no sticking a bottle or anything in there so you can do some regular maintenance, they actually will scream at you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Excelsior said:
I think I would prefer untethered because I dont want the cap to rest on the vehicle or drip anything that might or might not be there.

I might actually invest in a locking one if I can find one.



Given the 20 cent per gallon increase I paid today, I wonder when locking caps will again become a necessity. I remember when syphoning tanks was actually done in the oil embargo. Ive know people who have had cars totalled out because of vandalism of the gas tank by pouring something in.

It is a pain to use those caps though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
another dumb question

How big is the glove compartment? will the owners manual fit along with a pair of gloves? i had a car one time with a huge glove compartment door, but the stupid owner's manual would't even fit in it, or even a pair of gloves...
LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
Excelsior said:
I think I would prefer untethered because I dont want the cap to rest on the vehicle or drip anything that might or might not be there.

I might actually invest in a locking one if I can find one.
one problem with untethers is what do you do with it while filling the car? put it on top of the pump? i have seen many laying there long after the car it belongs to has left...
I don;t know if the solstice wil have one but my last few cars actually had a hook built into the door that you hung the tether across and it held it away from the side of the car...except the one on my Monte, it is different and i really don;t care for that rubber flap design it has...but at least you don;t lose it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
This thread just reminded me how valuable this Forum is. I had never thought about the gas cap! What was I thinking ... NOTHING. You guys have worried about everything and I haven't had to worry about a thing. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what I haven't thought of next!!!! :grouphug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Classic66vair said:
one problem with untethers is what do you do with it while filling the car? put it on top of the pump? i have seen many laying there long after the car it belongs to has left...
I don;t know if the solstice wil have one but my last few cars actually had a hook built into the door that you hung the tether across and it held it away from the side of the car...except the one on my Monte, it is different and i really don;t care for that rubber flap design it has...but at least you don;t lose it...
My Mercedes has a metal "shelf" that you slide the gas cap threads on, and it holds it against the inside of the fuel door. It's very nice with no tether. The tethers get in the way, personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
My Mercedes has a metal "shelf" that you slide the gas cap threads on, and it holds it against the inside of the fuel door. It's very nice with no tether. The tethers get in the way, personally.
GM used to make them like that.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top