Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those new to the forums, or the kappas, many of us have added aftermarket seat heaters to our cars. This morning I went out driving (top down of course) and for the first time in months, the temps were down in the lower 50's, so I though it would be a good idea to tell/remind others while there's time before winter.

Various heater kits are available from eBay and many different vendors. On the kappaperformance forum, DBG had set up a group buy type discount last year (though I don't know if that is still in effect): Heated seat kit - group buy

Forum member Odiaz had also gathered all the various install instructions and switch placement options into an excellent "how to" at his site: HowTos/HeatedSeats

Take it from me, this mod is CERTAINLY worth the time & effort!

·
Registered
122 Posts
As a Canadian (Alberta) owner living at an elevation of about 3500 feet, heated seats are by far the first and most important mod (I can't believe they weren't a factory option...).

I often drive with the top down when it is as cold as 5 Celcius and with the heated seats, and heater on full blast, it is entirely comfortable. Heated seats effectively double length of the top-down season here in Alberta.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I think this is one of my next projects.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
do any of you fine fellows know where to find the full seat cover removal how to? the JPM document link is broken and this thread only shows the bottom seat removal.

thanks
jeff

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat back cover removal is very easy. You just:

1. Unzip the two long zippers behind the seat
2. Either unclip from each other - or, more easily, slide-apart - the two interlocked plastic strips in the cover along the bottom rear of the back.
3. Peel the cover up from the bottom.

If you are just doing seat heaters, you only need to peel the covers up about 2/3's of the way. If you want to fully remove the covers, you'll also need to unclip and pull off the lever near the top (the one that releases the seat back when you want to swing it forward).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Project left from last winter to get on to soon.

·
Registered
761 Posts
For some reason, probably from some retailer's web site, I was under the impression that seams would have to be ripped out and replaced during this mod. I think I may now take another look at it. It doesn't look to be too tough if the switches are installed in the waterfall below the rear cup holders.

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Got my driver side installed, also took the opportunity to bolster the seat, the easy way-worked in two 4" thick, 4" wide strips of foam between the seat foam and the seat springs underneath. Worked like a charm. Quick and easy. Now back to the seat, all that's left is the wiring, figure maybe an hour +/-.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bought some for me and the wifes redline at the end of last season. Just don't know if it gets cold enough here to install them or not.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Used mine this morning :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Mine were put in the seats back in the spring when the Michigan Kappa Club did their spring mod meet. I ran out of time at that event, and have yet to hook up the wiring. I could certainly use it here in Michigan about now... but doubt I'll get it down before I put the car away for the winter. It will be a winter time modification.

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Still have to vacuum all the shavings out of the nooks and crannies, but here it is, slightly diff location than the others done so far, I think

·
Registered
347 Posts
Installing my heater (driver only) next weekend. I was thinking about putting the switch right underneath the ac/dc power plug (just to the left of the shifter). Does anyone know if there is room there to install the switch?
My second preference is to the right of the traction control switch.
Also, not too familiar with a step drill. Does it also drill the countersink bevels to match the factory buttons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
warranty ???

Tomato Soup

Thanks for this thread ... it's time here - near Chicago - for me to get on this mod so I can keep the wife in the car for more rides for more months ... and cheers to Odiaz for the step by step instuctions with all those wonderful PICTURES ...

And PFYC has 10% off ... and they have kits with membrane switches which would make installations much more straight forward ... and both Allen and Brian from PYFC have been excellent with responses to my questions concerning these switches and their kits and I've been ... but then the other shoe dropped

since the Solstice has an airbag sensor in the passenger seat:cuss:, PFYC won't / can't sell me a dual seat kit ...

:brentil:

:brentil:

I realize that there are other vendors who will supply a dual seat kit - but I wonder about my extended warranty ...

Since GM warns against installing seat heaters in the passenger seat, does anybody KNOW whether an installation in the passenger seat would void the warranty??

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
fiziksgxp : ..... Since GM warns against installing seat heaters in the passenger seat, does anybody KNOW whether an installation in the passenger seat would void the warranty??
The answer is the same as to every other such warranty question: A modification cannot, by law, void a warranty unless that modification actually contributes to or causes the failure.

That said, if you have a passenger seat heater installed, and if the passenger seat sensor fails, you may have a hard time getting the warranty to pay for it.

Given your worry, the best compromise would be to install only the seatback heating element, as it would be difficult to blame it for a sensor failure in the seat bottom.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yup! :agree:

Just one more thing though, depending on the heater kit, installing just the back pad my only allow one temp setting. If it has a relay control (as mine does) the "low" temp setting is created by putting the pads is series (half the voltage across each). If you don't have a second pad installed, that obviously won't work, so you'll only have off or high for the back pad.

I think some kits have solid-state controllers and they may well work with the two settings in this configuration.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Per my thread https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/passenger-seat-sensor-recall-beware-if-you-have-any-seat-mods-157243/ I just re-installed the seat heater mat on the passenger seat (that the dealership removed).

In doing so, I discovered a better way of removing the 'Christmas tree' pins that hold the sides of the passenger bottom cushion cover. Normally (what I did before too) folks just pry these out with a panel popper tool inserted between the metal seat frame and the pleather. But this is not only a pain and difficult, but it almost always results in one or more (or ALL) of the pins breaking off.

So I realised that, using a small/medium channel lock (or bent nose) pliers, you can grip the IN-side tip of the Christmas tree pin(s) and push/rotate them out from the inside. No broken pins so you can reuse them afterwards. Once you've pushed them out so just a 1/4 inch is showing, use a short piece of wood (I used some 1/2" dowel) and a small hammer to tap them out the rest of the way.

Picture worth a thousand words (too late)! ...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts