Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my Mercedes was totalled in an accident a week an a half ago, so I am driving a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT until my Solstice arrives.

Well, holy crap, G6s are nice... and I'm wondering why the Solstice team didn't take a few ideas from the G6:

-Door materials feel very good.
-The passenger airbag sensor is low (under the stereo and AC, behind the shifter)
- ANY TIME a door opens, the window goes down one inch. When the door closes, it goes up.
-Unlock button far forward on the door, as well as the pull-locks on the door.
-Automatic metric conversion (using one set of numbers on the speedo).
-Real sun visors
-Door sill has really neat envraged G6 logo in polished aluminum
-Woah, trunk!

But thank goodness that the Solstice:
-Has "tougher" more tactile feedback on steering
-Goes to 8000 on the tach instead of 6000
-Is a convertible?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Solstice V8?

who else noticed the short story in the latest Motor Trend talking about a possible V8 Solstice. Story says that the engine will fit between the frame rails. Wouldn't that be fun to drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Funny you should mention the G6/Solstice relationship as I was just thinking about this as I pondered a replacement for my wife's Saab 9-3. A G6 would actually be ideal for her, as she has elderly parents and a couple of kids to haul around, but which car is she in love with? You guessed it, the low-slung roadster. Why? Well, the G6 is a (*gasp*) Pontiac! And the Solstice? Sure, it's a Pontiac, but we can ignore that because it looks so damn good, especially in the same red as her favorite purse. This is called chick logic.

So, I'm bound and determined to buy the Solstice now, to wean her from the luxo-brands. Hopefully she'll realize driving a Pontiac isn't a modern-day hair shirt. And when she's sick of her parents complaining about the cramped passenger seat, hello G6! ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Fortimir said:
So my Mercedes was totalled in an accident a week an a half ago, so I am driving a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT until my Solstice arrives.

Well, holy crap, G6s are nice... and I'm wondering why the Solstice team didn't take a few ideas from the G6:

-Door materials feel very good.
-The passenger airbag sensor is low (under the stereo and AC, behind the shifter)
- ANY TIME a door opens, the window goes down one inch. When the door closes, it goes up.
-Unlock button far forward on the door, as well as the pull-locks on the door.
-Automatic metric conversion (using one set of numbers on the speedo).
-Real sun visors
-Door sill has really neat envraged G6 logo in polished aluminum
-Woah, trunk!

But thank goodness that the Solstice:
-Has "tougher" more tactile feedback on steering
-Goes to 8000 on the tach instead of 6000
-Is a convertible?
I've driven them back to back, and all I have to say is that the G6 is no Solstice, no matter what the materials on the door are like. ;) (I drove a G6 GTP 6 speed same day as a Solstice).

I know, I know, different mission. The G6 is a VERY nice midsize coupe with good power, but that is as far as I will go. I do not think it is as good of a performance car as it's shape and big 18 inch steamrollers make it seem. It is just a little too heavy, the suspension is a little too soft giving it a little too much body roll, and the steering and shifting are a little too remote and disconnected. Don't get me wrong, in class I think it would be extremely hard to find a better driving car than the G6. But you can tell where the money was spent in the two cars. The Sol's driving experience is far better and more fun.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Saw my first G6 coupe today. Very nice looking car in person. Ionly have two gripes about the exterior. The lower grill need to be a single opening like the mid-ninities Granpd Prix. Aslo, the wheels need help, they need to put the Solstice wheels on it. That would help add a little depth to the car. But, I think Pontiac is on to something with the G6. It sure beats the "buck tooth" look of the new Hondas. It they can keep making little improvements each year, I think they will have a winner on their hands.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The G6 reminds me of a space-pod, because of the slope of the back... but man, it's a comfortable ride with great ammentities... and plenty of "every-day-joe" power.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I like the interior. I think it gives the impression of a more expensive car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I own a 05 G6 GT. I was around here with a preorder on a sol but got screwed by the constant delays and a short time table for needing a car ":(" so I picked up a G6. Ill still get my sol but itll be a turbo sol and in 2 years.

Anyway, I came from a 00 Grand Prix GTP and I spent extensive time comparing it to a G6 GTP. While I loved the power from the gtp, MPG was a consideration and as surprising as this is the G6 has a better ride and far better interior. I love the leather in the G6 and the ride is more "luxury/softer." However I miss the performance/luxury middle point the GTP can pull off. The g6 is more that base luxury feel.

Overall the car needs some help "may have been done in 06" with some little quirks but otherwise its a damn nice car. The quirks are the steering doesnt feel natural for anyone who is a "sporty" driver. Lots of wind noise at highway speed "could be something my dealer can fix or from the kick ass sunroof" other then that its all trivial like the pull out locks "I cant stand that from a new car its ludacris"

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The G6 is a very respectable car. Right now it is the only place you can get a GTP in a Pontiac as the GTP on Grand Prix has been dropped to GT and added teh GXP V8, 4 models of a car may have been too much. The g6 GTP has to outperform the GP GT since it carries last year's 3.9 non S/C and the GP GT has the older 3800 S/C (according to pontiac.com)

Someone needs to park a G6 next to a Solara, remove the badges and poll people on which model Acura they think these two are. CAn't wait to see the retractable hardtop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts