Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased my S2K over a month ago, I have been switching back and forth between this forum and the S2KCA forum to see what the differences are. One thing has jumped out at me.

In here I hear of those who are unhappy with the single stock exhaust and who yearn for the dual exhaust , and the great sounds they make.

At the S2K forum they all have stock dual exhaust with great sounds, and they yearn for a larger diameter single exhaust on the basis of less weight and more efficiency. They claim a 60 lb weight saving on the aftermarket single exhaust and 10 hp increase, and they even come with a special rear bottom panel at the rear with only one outlet cutout.

It seems the grass is always greener on the other side, huh? :willy:

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
American car vs Japanese car.
NO 4" cans in the back of my SOLSTICE!!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well the S2k club has it right. Duals on an I4 is silly and only for looks. As far as 4" cans, just because some do that it doesn't mean that is the only option.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AZJuez said:
Since I purchased my S2K over a month ago, I have been switching back and forth between this forum and the S2KCA forum to see what the differences are. One thing has jumped out at me.

In here I hear of those who are unhappy with the single stock exhaust and who yearn for the dual exhaust , and the great sounds they make.

At the S2K forum they all have stock dual exhaust with great sounds, and they yearn for a larger diameter single exhaust on the basis of less weight and more efficiency. They claim a 60 lb weight saving on the aftermarket single exhaust and 10 hp increase, and they even come with a special rear bottom panel at the rear with only one outlet cutout.

It seems the grass is always greener on the other side, huh? :willy:
I've always been a proponent that dual exhaust is just for looks on an inline engine.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The first company to release a mod to stack duel exaust in the middle (like the concept) has my money!

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
I've always been a proponent that dual exhaust is just for looks on an inline engine.
:agree: I am all for a better "balance" Sol ... lets face it people are not buying the Sol for the performance. JMHO

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think this is just an extension of how these cars are viewed by buyers. Most people picking up an S2K are probably most interested in performance, which is why they are interested in the weight savings of a single exhaust. The Solstice is attracting a LOT of people simply based on it's looks, and therefore, many buyers are more concerned about having the appearance of a dual outlet exhaust.

These cars are just appealing to enthusiats who have slightly different priorities in what they want out of a roadster. :)

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
We will just have to wait and see what happens at least with my car, when it will be producing 265RWHP, the added wait, with tires and mod suspension will probably make it behave better.
Yes, the duals are just for looks, but the car will have the performance just the same.

·
Registered
535 Posts
SolsticeMan said:

I'll take that a step further. Any exhaust that splits into two pipes after being a single pipe further upstream is ridiculous. This is why I hate cars with rear fascias designed for duals from the get go because it's virtually impossible to go single without a dumb empty cutout left behind. Hence, I'm stuck with a dumb dual catback on my car even though it does sound sweet as hell. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2 cents worth as a new S2K owner. I am attracted by both performance and looks which is what drove me towards both vehicles - the Sol for the incredible beauty and the S2K for the performance (and a lesser degree the looks). I believe the Sol would look more balanced with a dual. I do like the exhaust note on the S2K but can't compare to the Sol as I haven't heard one. Had I bought the Sol, I would have liked a K & N kit to increase breathing and a dual (added diameter) outlet for same to add some HP probably would have looked seriously into aftermarket supercharger or turbo and a super chip too. LatinVenom, I'm with you on the 4" cans on a Sol. The car is beautiful without that for sure. A tasteful dual though would be nice for if nothing else asthetic balance.

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
Well different taste for different people, and the reason for my post of American car vs Japanese car, although your Tiburon GT comes from them with dual exhaust, just like the S2K, but they are catering to the American market.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think the 2004 true duals on the GTO proved people are more concerned about the look of duals, than whether they are actually a dual exhaust. GM did give the car true duals, but they exited the car as if they were a single exhaust with twin tips out of one side. The howls from people on how they should be a split dual for the look was deafening. GM cleared that up for 2005.

I do understand why, but it does show the priority of it for people. Most people seem to prefer the balanced appearance to any function. Then again, most people are not concerned about the minute power gains or performance losses of a few extra HP from an exhaust, or loss of acceleration from an extra 100 lbs.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
As others have mentioned, I also bought the Sol for looks. Performance is adequate and I'm not terribly interested in a bunch more.

I would be very happy to just have a fake tip on the left side. That would of course require a modified whatever-you-call-that-piece-of-plastic back there. The increase in weight would be insignificant but the appearance would be super.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right on the money . . .

deepsol06 said:
My 2 cents worth as a new S2K owner. I am attracted by both performance and looks which is what drove me towards both vehicles - the Sol for the incredible beauty and the S2K for the performance (and a lesser degree the looks). I believe the Sol would look more balanced with a dual. I do like the exhaust note on the S2K but can't compare to the Sol as I haven't heard one. Had I bought the Sol, I would have liked a K & N kit to increase breathing and a dual (added diameter) outlet for same to add some HP probably would have looked seriously into aftermarket supercharger or turbo and a super chip too. LatinVenom, I'm with you on the 4" cans on a Sol. The car is beautiful without that for sure. A tasteful dual though would be nice for if nothing else asthetic balance.
I could not agree with you more about the S2k. It is a beautifu car, if not quite as modern looking as the Sol. And the spare tire and trunk are a bonus.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
deepsol06 and others: tell me more about the super chip. I just heard about them for the first time last week from my client, auto shop owner specializing in Saabs and Mercedes. I've researched the forum with some success, but would appreciate latest opinions on that.

ambient mentioned a speed limiter back on 03/10/05. Does the Solstice have one? The way he described it, I wouldn't want that on my car. Can that be removed?

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I think the 2004 true duals on the GTO proved people are more concerned about the look of duals, than whether they are actually a dual exhaust. GM did give the car true duals, but they exited the car as if they were a single exhaust with twin tips out of one side. The howls from people on how they should be a split dual for the look was deafening
People are often idiots. And I mean that in the nicest way. :blueangel

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Fortimir said:
I want the dual for looks...

...or let's all just get side-pipes!
Hey - I have side-pipes on my Javelin, and they look sweet :yesnod:

Could someone (with photoshop talent ;) ) please chop some side-pipes on a Solstice?

I don't think I'd ever do it - but have wondered what it might look like :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts