Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
He was the greatest NASCAR driver of all time...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
He was the greatest NASCAR driver of all time...
Actually, David Pearson was the Greatest NASCAR driver of all time. ;)

Senna was the Greatest Race Car Driver of all time. :yesnod:

Sundance 2011: Tears and thrills from the Formula One track in 'Senna'
January 22, 2011 | 10:30 am

Sometimes a documentary will unexpectedly reach out and grab you by the throat, not giving you a second to breathe. That's that way it was with "Senna," which had its North American premiere Friday night in Sundance's world documentary competition.

Fans of Formula One racing will know at once that this is a film about the legendary Brazilian Ayrton Senna, considered by some to be the greatest driver who ever lived. A boy genius behind the wheel, capable of pushing cars beyond their capacity, Senna won 33 races and three Grand Prix titles before dying in a crash in 1994 at age 34.

Told solely through the use of archival footage, "Senna" is bursting with great racing sequences, many dealing with his bitter rivalry with French champion Alain Prost. But what makes this film so riveting is the remarkable personality of the man himself.

Someone who just flat-out loved to drive, Senna was a purist who had complete disdain for the politics that had to be played in the cliquish Formula One world. Though he drove like the devil, he was a spiritual person who believed deeply and profoundly in a higher power. A philosophical mystic with a jewel thief's nerves and a poet's sensitivity (and good looks), Senna was an altogether remarkable human being.

"Senna" is fortunate in having Asif Kapadia, best known for his award-winning dramatic debut, "The Warrior," in charge. A British director with a keen sense of drama and a gift for narrative drive, Kapadia also had, said screenwriter and executive producer Manish Pandey, the kind of impeccable eye needed to cull 104 minutes of film from 15,000 hours of archival footage.
Though everything about "Senna" took forever -- years to get the cooperation of both the Senna family and the Formula One hierarchy, further years to do the archival research and then to edit -- the result has been extraordinarily satisfying to the team that spearheaded the work.

Pandey talked about showing the film to Ron Dennis, the head of the McLaren racing team, a man known for being unemotional and so conscious of not wasting a minute of time that he has a car and driver waiting for him everywhere he goes.

"After the film ended, Ron Dennis cried for 10 minutes," Pandey said. "Then he sat and talked about Senna for two hours." Such is the power of this man, and this film.

-- Kenneth Turan
Photo: Ayrton Senna in the driver's seat in a scene from "Senna." Credit: Courtesy of Sundance Film Festival
Sundance 2011: Tears and thrills from the Formula One track in 'Senna' | 24 Frames | Los Angeles Times

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Senna was great, no argument

But Jimmy Clark was the best F1 driver of all time. How great was he? He was so great that he was useless as a test driver. He simply adapted to the vehicle so completely that he'd always say that the car was set up well enough. "Natural" is a trite word today, so-and-so is a Natural, etc. Clark was truly a Natural

Lotus mechanics would have to change brake pads after each heat in qualifying for Hill's car. Clark's brakes were good for the whole race weekend. Hill was a World Champion in his own right!

And look at who Clark raced against, a galaxy of stars- Hill, Gurney, Surtees, Brabham, Bandini, Stewart, Rindt, Hulme...he lost the World Driver's Championship in 1967 even though he won the most races that season! The beautiful, fragile, brutally fast Lotus 49 was just too unreliable. To shine as brightly as he did- and he outshone all his peers- in an arena where his peers were legends and masters speaks volumes

And back then, the F1 drivers filled contractual obligations in other cars- F2, sportscars, saloons, etc. Clark would miss the F1 month of May- and Monaco- to race the Indy 500. Because of his performance and Chapman's genius, the cars at Indy soon turned into cars that resembled F1 cars. Before Clark, they looked more like NASCAR racers. Clark also raced at a NASCAR event! He led 190 of 200 laps at Indy when he won. 190 laps! He would have won Monza 1967 after having to go to the pits to have a tire changed (making him miss a lap and drop from 1st place to 16th) but after the final turn of the final lap coming to the finish line, the car ran out of fuel and he coasted in to a 3rd place finish in one of the most incredible performances of racing. He had to un-lap himself to regain position on the same lap as the leader, and then he passed the entire field a second time to re-take first place!

In an era when heavy crashes and driver deaths were not uncommon at all, Clark only had four major racing accidents. If you look at the records from his era, that in itself is amazing. Something like one in four of those drivers were killed in contests of speed. He drove cars that other drivers found difficult as if he'd never driven any other car, and couldn't understand why other drivers had troubles with them. His racing gifts were almost of a sixth sense and certainly he understood his craft on an instinctual level his peers could only guess at. After his death, Clark's father revealed to Dan Gurney that Gurney was the only driver that Clark ever considered his equal. Just imagine what a Clark-Gurney-Hill Lotus team in the mid 1960s would have accomplished!

Jim Clark was simply the best, and the yardstick he should be measured by is how much he effortlessly dominated the other superstars in his era. other drivers were not second best because there was little talent in the field. They were second best because Clark was so good he needed a higher level of competition to be available- and there simply was none.

When I got my Sol GXP, my first color choice was Envious. Why? Because Clark raced for Lotus

Looking forward to the Senna movie, though!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
All great drivers but..........Stirling Moss.........Nuf said:)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Jackie Stewart, Clark, Fangio, and all those mentioned before where unquestionably great drivers …perhaps even more talented as well?

But in my opinion, Senna stands out as the best because of his resolute will to persevere and overcome his limits.

I think this Picture says it all.

Racing was truly in his blood.

Grand Prix Hall of Fame - Ayrton Senna - Biography

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Everyone is looking to the past, no one looking at the future, I think some of today's young bloods are going to make a big impression on the F1 community.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Everyone is looking to the past, no one looking at the future, I think some of today's young bloods are going to make a big impression on the F1 community.
No doubt, but it is a little hard to evaluate a career in progress:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jackie Stewart, Clark, Fangio, and all those mentioned before where unquestionably great drivers …perhaps even more talented as well?

But in my opinion, Senna stands out as the best because of his resolute will to persevere and overcome his limits.

I think this Picture says it all.

Racing was truly in his blood.

Grand Prix Hall of Fame - Ayrton Senna - Biography
In YOUR opinion, but then that appears to be the only one that maters to you :beatdead:

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Maybe we should start a F1 Fantasy Drivers League similar to the Fantasy Baseball:) run F1 teams and drivers:) Anyone else wanna play?
looks like there is one for NASCAR http://www.nascar.com/fantasy/

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Vettel and Hamilton both have what it takes to become legends in the sport.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe we should start a F1 Fantasy Drivers League similar to the Fantasy Baseball:) run F1 teams and drivers:) Anyone else wanna play?
looks like there is one for NASCAR NASCAR Fantasy Racing
Speed has a Fantasy F1 league, or at least did a couple of season ago when I last looked.

Senna will always be one of the greats, on and off the track. I think one of my favorite racing quotes comes from Senna. Something to the effect of how if he saw a hole and did not try to take it, no matter how small, he would no longer be a racing driver. Sums him up pretty well I think. All or nothing, go for broke.

This F1 season I really wish we got to see what Kubica could do with the Renault. They seem to have a very strong car thus far. I just hope he recovers so I can cheer him on once more!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I think the original premise is best DRIVER of all time, not best rider...AND I believe the OP's intent, although not explicit, was limiting to F1. Otherwise you'd have to fit Richard Petty in there somewhere.
Agreed, I'm not a fan of any one specific class of racing. That said, you can't ignore a guy who did the following:

Wiki
Only driver to win the Indianapolis 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
A.J. Foyt

I think if it had 4 wheels, he'd win a race in it.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks Critterman. I totally agree. I think that Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, and Button all, (like Gille Villeneuve did;) at times) had their moments. But I've yet to see that consistent resolute inspirational spirit that Senna possessed every time he drove a race car. Alonso had it at first, but it seems to have gone away. For now Vettel seems to be the only hope ...we'll see? Hope he doesn't become a victim of the politics.

All I can say is that most of these racers, including Schumacher, when asked today who was that Best ...all reply Senna!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
:party::party::party::glol::glol::glol:

That's funny Mitch!!! That's when Grandpa had to build that super hot rod in order to win back the family wagon, that Herman lost in a drag race against little Eddie's friend's dad.;) Yup, Grandpa was for sure the best drag racer ever!!!:party::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
:party::party::party::glol::glol::glol:

That's funny Mitch!!! That's when Grandpa had to build that super hot rod in order to win back the family wagon, that Herman lost in a drag race against little Eddie's friend's dad.;) Yup, Grandpa was for sure the best drag racer ever!!!:party::thumbs:
:agree: you sure know your Munsters! Not bad for a guy 378 years old:lol: 0-180 in just a few seconds!

Grandpa's name on the show.
Count Dracula (aka Sam Dracula)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Sebastian Vettel is in Ayrton Senna's league, but Michael Schumacher is not.

That is the sensational claim of Giorgio Ascanelli, the highly talented engineer who worked closely not only with Vettel at Toro Rosso, but also with the great Senna at McLaren.

"I am very lucky," the Italian told Sport Bild. "Twice in my life I have experienced perfection; once with Senna, again with Vettel."

But Ascanelli also worked with Schumacher, the most successful F1 driver of all time, at Ferrari.

"In one respect Michael was different because he had to work harder for his success than did Senna and Vettel. With those two it was something else," he insisted.

Added Gerhard Berger: "Before the season began I thought (Fernando) Alonso was the best driver, but maybe now it's Sebastian."
FORMULA ONE - F1: Vettel In Senna's League, Schumacher Not - Ascanelli

41 - 60 of 100 Posts