Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

the hot solstice coupe

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Sol-Stitch-Ay! 
#1 ·
i looked through pages of threads hoping to catch some news about the solstice coupe that i've seen in pix floating around the internet. I asked pontiac GM and they emailed back that it is not slated for 2005. if the sol-stitch-ay has the hottest front grill around, the coupe's slanted sexy back is just as original and just as mouthwatering. I know its not as purist as the convertible, but anyone have any news on when it will be around?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dead in the water. The Coupe shown at shows was supposedly a rolling foam/clay/metal model from what we've heard. There's also no current plans for the Coupe to be produced either. GM's current focus is on making the three Roadster varations succesful first. High Performance varients of the Kappa cars will also be dependent on how well they sell. If the base and HiPo versions do well, then plans for a Coupe Solstice might happen. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Welcome to the forums too.

#4 ·
mceb said:
:brentil: No coupe news, only 'vert for now.
:( what i hoped would not be true--i got the sense they could not even confirm whether that back was for real or still just a dream in someone's head, which might hop into reality some day.

well, i hope they take the suggestion to dump the name 'solstice' which is an unfortunate choice for such a pretty young thing, or to pronounce it as if its an international sole-steetch-ay...whenever i mention it with my way, people say, 'Wow! What car is THAT?" when i tell them its just 'solstice', they are sad and :yawn: but hey, a rose by any other name...

#5 ·
I would think a coupe is more "purist" and a convertible more for the "experience", but that's a pure opinion point so don't anybody bother arguing me on that point...

But I would definately LOVE a Skycoupe. Right now I'm 90% likely to buy a Sky, and the reasons that might keep me from buying one (security and trunk space) would be completely eliminated in a coupe. A coupe would make me 100% positive I'd buy one. As nice as a convertible would be, in the urban north there are other issues to consider.

Let's hope these sell like wildfire so production can be upped and great options like coupes will appear! (and maybe I'll end up with one of each)

#6 ·
brentil said:
Dead in the water. The Coupe shown at shows was supposedly a rolling foam/clay/metal model from what we've heard. There's also no current plans for the Coupe to be produced either. GM's current focus is on making the three Roadster varations succesful first. High Performance varients of the Kappa cars will also be dependent on how well they sell. If the base and HiPo versions do well, then plans for a Coupe Solstice might happen. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Welcome to the forums too.
ah, so all those pix with the backs are totally 'potential design'?? ok. well, i was in love with the solstice the first time i saw it, before the coupe back, so i guess its good enough as a 'vert!!

#11 ·
At last, the possibility of an appropriate replacement for my beloved Alfa Romeo GTV6. One that, I hope, would provide the sublime driving experience without the absurd reliabilty experience of my Alfa. Okay, this is but a glimmer of hope for a far-off future, but hey, I've waited THIS long, haven't I? In the meantime, guess I'll just have to "settle" for a Solstice convertible. Oh, the sacrifices one must make!

#12 ·
You can buy the hardtop coupe in GT4 on PS2, but that's the only place and no one knows for sure if the one-off is even still around.

On the bright side, everyone who purchases a droptop Solstice (BTW pronounced just like the wintersolstice and summer solstice, you know, the shortest and longest days of the year) gets a coupe. Cause that's the Pontiac nomenclature for this model.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/do...ehicleID=2053&section=modelhome&page=&butID=1

#14 ·
godspeed06 said:
i might be alone here, but i believe the solstice coupe would be the only instance in which the convertible with the top up actually looks better.
nope, I'm kinda the same way - but I'm also a notchback type of guy. I prefer the look of the Fiero Formula over the Fiero GT. I'd like to see a notchback removable hardtop.

As for the fastback, ennhhh, I could take it or leave it.

#15 ·
solsticeman said:
nope, I'm kinda the same way - but I'm also a notchback type of guy. I prefer the look of the Fiero Formula over the Fiero GT. I'd like to see a notchback removable hardtop.

As for the fastback, ennhhh, I could take it or leave it.
Triumph did the dual car thing best with the Spitfire and GT6. Top down was the 4 cyl Spit and fixed roof got you an I6 and a hatch.

#18 ·
mceb said:
That's it, I've been wondering what the coupe reminds me of...thanks! I had a 260-Z.

Had a used '78 280 (2 seater) which I turn into a project car. Ground effects, fender flairs, etc. Bright red. The second most fun car I have ever owned after the '85 300ZX Turbo!

#20 ·
It would make sense to build a coupe in a few years (or other versions w/longer wheelbases, wider tracks, etc.). GM could really maximize the production efficiency of the Solstice/Sky/Opel componentry. It could also open up the appeal of the car to a more pragmatic audience , growing sales while the convertible sales slow.

This would save everyone time in developing a Camaro replacement too. Just give Chevy a coupe version (or that beautiful Nomad), drop in a very small V8...whoops, it can't outperform the Corvette!

Leave the Camaro/Nomad basic (optional everything: a/c, power accessories, etc.) and have a large range of performance options (suspension, brakes, engine, interior, etc.). You would have a screamer at $25K!!! And it would sell like MAD!!!

Sorry, got of the Solstice... subject.

#21 ·
as a camaro owner myself, i have been waiting tirelessly for the return of my beloved sled. and personally i would love to see a v8 'maro on the kappa, but even a v6 would be fine. i dont think gm would do it, i heard talk of an impala like sedan or larger coupe for the camaro future. oh well, i can still drool over the solstice.

the nomad aint bad either :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.