Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mean Machine has been a little lonely since I sold the Coupe last September. The Covid lock down got me thinking that the end is nearer than the beginning in my life span. Therefore one should try to live life to its fullest. In that spirit l decided I should learn to ride a motorcycle at the age of 62. I have never ridden so this should be an experience. I was going to wait until next year and get a HD Softail Standard ( the factory closed due to Covid so orders are backlogged). However, last weekend the wife and I took the Mean Machine on a road trip. We pulled into a HD dealership parking lot in all our mean yellow glory. The Harley folks all in black were blinded by the yellowism of my Sol.

Went into the dealership to browse and what do I spy? A YELLOW 2006 HD XL 1200 with 31,000 km ( 20,000 miles) on it. I sat on her and she felt real good. She is about 100 pounds lighter ( 550 vs 650) than a Softail Standard. I decided that this would be a better starter bike for me. Also, a lot less money than a new HD. I explained to the salesman that I can’t ride and have to take the course and graduate etc. I got them to agree to store the bike at the dealership for no charge until May 1, 2021. This way I can take my time and learn right and not kill myself.

We negotiated and I got a good deal. I had to have her. She is darn close the mean yellow!!!!!:cool:
They will look beautiful parked together.:love:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
They will look great together. I'm glad you will have both.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Most of my riding friends have sold their bikes. The quality of driving has deteriorated to the point that the risk isn't worth it anymore.

Enjoy it and good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of my riding friends have sold their bikes. The quality of driving has deteriorated to the point that the risk isn't worth it anymore.

Enjoy it and good luck.
I hear you John. If we still lived in Toronto I would not do it. Windsor where we live now is pretty small and spread out. The country roads are also close by. There is a strong Harley culture here.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Glad to hear you got a sporty. Kool color. With the sporty you will always be in the wind. Now do you steal time away from the solstice to ride the sporty?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you got a sporty. Kool color. With the sporty you will always be in the wind. Now do you steal time away from the solstice to ride the sporty?
It will be a balancing act. Once i finish the motorcycle learners course ( hopefully i pass) I will try to build up my riding skills with regular local riding. The Sol will do the road trips.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Please be careful, please be careful, please be careful, please be careful. There are only two types of motorcycle riders, those that have been down and those that are going down. I have a lot of experience with this, as I was the racing coordinator for Kawasaki's amateur racing program. Know Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson, Kenny Roberts, and a host of others.

Recently Harley riders have become targets for the idiots. One just last week actually ran straight into the Harley Driver because he felt anyone riding a Harley was a racist. Three were killed in Texas (I think it was) in the last month for the same type of reasoning.

Not sure of your physical capabilities, but none of us are kids anymore, and one of the first things to go is our balance and leg strength. Maybe get out on a bicycle in parking lot and work on your balance. It won't be the same, but similar.

Always wear a helmet. Had a friend moving his bike in the driveway, slipped and hit is head on the curb. Dead instantly. He was a high up at Kawasaki. Many years ago, but stupid stuff happens that you just never think about.

Again sir as I value you as a friend, please be extra careful.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
I rode for fifty years. Dirt bikes. Three wheelers. Four wheelers. And various street bikes. Every time we went dirt riding I crashed. Never bad. Never hurt. But it’s part of the fun in the dirt. Never went down on the street. Crotch rockets, and a 150 hp built Sportster

Take the motorcycle safety course
Never ride without FULL protection. Assume it’s going down every time you get on
Most accidents happen to novice riders in their first year. And it’s almost always a nice person turning left into the rider.
Assume EVERY car is out to get you
Have your head on a swivel
Be very scared for the first year while you build up your skills
Get a dirt bike and ride it a lot. Even new street riders who have extensive dirt time have much fewer accidents because they are used to obdticsls and bad terrain.

And have fun. I did.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Bike looks great Gareth but I have to add my voice to the chorus that are asking you to please be careful. I know too many people that have lost their life on a bike.

Please be careful my friend.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate everyone’s concerns. Trust me I am scared. As I mentioned I am going to take the motorcycle learners course. If I don’t feel comfortable after graduate that will be it. I will sell this bike and call it a day. I have some confidence as I am in good physical shape. I weight lift fairly seriously ( lots of squats so have good leg power) and I box ( my coach trained a CDN female boxing Olympiad).
If I did not have the physical aspects I would not be considering this.
I feel very liked here. It is really nice to get your wise words and caution.
I am very humble about this and know that it will be a challenge with very little room for error.
I know that the enemy is basically anyone on the road. Defensive riding and caution are a must.
At 62 I have nothing to prove. I just want to make it to 80.
The deal on the bike was compelling. I even got them to add in and install chrome drop bars!
Thanks again everyone!!!(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When it comes to protective clothing I get it. I will get a full helmet, proper gloves, riding boots and Kevlar jeans. I bought this jacket before I even knew the bike existed. I figured worst case I could wear it driving the Sol because it has yellow in it.:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow. The Triumph looks like a lot of bike. So does the BMW and the Ducati’s. I need to master a scooter at this point. (y)

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
When i got my first bike I was given a report that showed the motorcycle to be the second most dangerous form of tranportation that exists. As far as i know that has not changed 40 years later.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts