Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When i got my first bike I was given a report that showed the motorcycle to be the second most dangerous form of tranportation that exists. As far as i know that has not changed 40 years later.
The first is?

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I am a cyclist, I am 73 years young, ride my mountain bike about 150 miles a week. I am not sure what John's number one is, but for me, I have had far more friends killed on road bicycles than cars or motorcycles. I will not ride a bicycle on the road for any reason. Only ride bike paths with it, but not much of that anymore.

Have fun sir.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Teens & millennials ,soccer moms texting ,people making left hand turns into driveways or streets , animals especially deer these are your worst enemies .Don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but I rode for 39 years and finally quit because avoiding people driving cars who had no regard for cyclists motor & pedal got to be more trouble than the enjoyment I got out of riding .I had a few Sportsters in my time my last being a 1977 cafe racer ,way different ride compared to my hogs , a much more responsive ride . As mentioned above if your going to ride wear the appropriate gear I've taken a few falls and the helmet and leathers saved me from some serious injuries .

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Northern are you putting any engine guards {roll bars} on the scoot. I like Sting have road a long time & still ride . Even its a 107 f here i wear all my gear as i to have been down a few times .. I do find my ultra is getting heavier by the year to move around by hand..I still have an old sporty but cant do the long rides on it anymore. Harly's arent cheap to insure in Ontario. Good luck with your new ride .

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Northern are you putting any engine guards {roll bars} on the scoot. I like Sting have road a long time & still ride . Even its a 107 f here i wear all my gear as i to have been down a few times .. I do find my ultra is getting heavier by the year to move around by hand..I still have an old sporty but cant do the long rides on it anymore. Harly's arent cheap to insure in Ontario. Good luck with your new ride .
I got the dealership to include and install a set of chrome engine guards as part of the deal. Part of what ( besides the bike being yellow) made me jump on this was the weight of the bike. As mentioned earlier she is around 550 pounds which is about 100 pounds lighter than the soft tail. I will need every edge I can get. I will only be using my Sporty for going around my town and local country roads. No highways. The Mean Machine is my road trip ride. My plan one day once I have my skills developed would be to cruise from Windsor to Niagara Falls on backroads. That is a 5 or 6 hour trip versus 3.5 hrs by highway.

As for protective gear I completely agree. I will always wear it. An absolute must. I am amazed around my hood when I see guys riding in just a t shirt or tank top.

I got an insurance quote for a new Softail Standard before I started this journey. $1800.00 per year. Might be a little less for the Sporty as she is 14 years old and cost about 1/3 of a new Softail Standard. Thing that sucks about Motorcyle Insurance is you can’t remove it when you park for the winter. This is another reason why I will likely wait until spring of 2021 to learn to ride. Want a full season. I can’t even get into a learners course here until the fall. They are backed up as they were closed due to Covid. Windsor, where I live is still in Stage 2. The rest of Ontario has gone to Stage 3. We have a lot of cases in Leamington area where agricultural workers are housed in dorms.

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
610 Posts
as soon as I read yellow solstice I knew exzactly what you got, didnt have to look at the pics....but I did any way. congrats!!! buddy of mine had that yellow one along with a nightrain. I think nightrain was the name of it, that was quite a few years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice bike Gareth, and almost the same age as your Sol! Windsor is a great place to ride - lots of great back roads & fellow bikers. I agree with everyone - be careful & watch out for the other guy!

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Greg. Agree and agree. Hope to see you down here at some point.👍

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Closed the deal yesterday. She is going into storage at the Harley Dealership until I learn how to ride.

Attachments

Reactions: easyryderca
21 - 31 of 31 Posts