Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a good look at the new Miata M5 and it sure looks like the old racing D-Type Jag from the mid-50s, while the Sol sure reseembles the earlier C-Type racing Jag. Check it out on http://www.web-cars.com/e-type/. I guess the more we progress in design the more we appreciate the retro look, huh? Hang in there and dream on until the 15th.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Personaly, I can't see the MX5 anywhere in the D-type. The oval grill shape is about as close as it gets. I would have to say the the new MX5 is all Miata, and not much else. It's more retro NA than anything else.

·
Registered
533 Posts
AeroDave said:
Personaly, I can't see the MX5 anywhere in the D-type. The oval grill shape is about as close as it gets. I would have to say the the new MX5 is all Miata, and not much else. It's more retro NA than anything else.
I agree with your comments on the MX-5 (not enough curves to resemble an old Jag).

The original Miata was partially inspired by the Lotus Elan or so I've read. It had some visual similarities (link to an Elan photo attached):

http://autos.livedoor.com/img/event/jhct2004/56.JPG

·
5,600 Posts
AZJuez said:
I just got a good look at the new Miata M5 and it sure looks like the old racing D-Type Jag from the mid-50s...
Hi AZ,

If the new Miata looked anything vaguely like a Jag D-Type, I would be writing a check to Mazda this very minute.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
GNS said:
SOL is liken to the Ford Cobra
Must be the new SAT test questions. MX5 is to D-type as Solstice is to Cobra.

How about Sol is to Sky as Mustang is to Cougar.

Or Sol is to Covette as Mustang is to Ford GT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry Miata ........

As someone who has owned two Miatas and several other Mazda cars (RX- 7's etc) I'm badly disappointed by the new one. Its not ugly by any means and I'm sure it will be a blast to drive, but the styling (both exterior & interior) leave alot to be desired. Mazda had a "concept version" going around a couple of years ago called Imbkto or something like that -- looked terrible and Mazda announced the new Miata would not be based on it. But it appears alot of styling cues did show up on the new model -- not a good thing. Kinda of a basic "cherry cough drop" look. And unfortunately I think the interior instrument panel & dash has become too "busy" -- I liked the nice simple roadster dash of the old model Miata (simple and beautiful like the Solstice's).
So in thinking about a new "third car" I tried to consider a new Miata, but the styling and price of the Solstice makes it no brainer -- at least a $2000 -- $4000 price difference when both a loaded up with the main options.
Loved the feel of driving the Miatas -- hope the Solstice comes through with something just as good ..........

We're streaking toward Friday ! ! !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts