Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have to hedge my bet. I forgot that the Solstice is Lutz's personal baby and the culmination of a life long dream. In light of that fact, as long as Lutz is with GM,
I didn't even think about that. In that case, the next Solstice should be good as well. As long as Lutz is around. I think it's a shame that the only way for GM to have a good car is with an executives personal involvement. The Japanese and Germans don't have that problem.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I didn't even think about that. In that case, the next Solstice should be good as well. As long as Lutz is around. I think it's a shame that the only way for GM to have a good car is with an executives personal involvement. The Japanese and Germans don't have that problem.
Well, it's not like that at all. Any car company's design goes through higher-ups.
before Lutz came to GM, the interaction between designers to engineers were very scattered (Aztek anyone?). Design ideas jumped back and forth and the intention of designer got lost in translation. But Lutz came in and organized the company; now the information flow from designers to enginners is much more smooth and organized. Instead of design being compromized because of engineering, but they are trying to find harmony to make the car not only look better, but perform better as well.

There are many GOOD looking designs lined up for GM that's going to come out soon, it just needed a good organizers to do it.

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
According to the AutoWeek '08 Buyer's Guide, the Solstice will get a fastback for '08, and the G6 will move to the Alpha platform in '12.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yes you did, and I've been hanging on the hope you gave me ever since. I've hung my hat on your announcement for a looooong time! If I never thanked you, THANK YOU!!!

But now this means I have to wait until late the '10 MY to get one... I've been waiting since late '04. Man! :(

I don't like this talk of a limited run. Here in California, that means another round of $3,000 markups, which I refuse to pay. Period. :kick:

My plan is to get my Solstice NOW!!! and get my Camaro in 5-6 years. The way it is going, I'll be in my Camaro 1st and get my Solstice II in 2015. I'm not liking this... :willy:

If only I were the convertible type... :smash:

FWIW, some of the guys on GMInsideNews are really ragging on GM over the prospect of a targa, as if it has hurt C5 or C6 Corvette owners any. I don't know what they re smoking. I would prefer a targa over a fixed roof coupe.
I think they will most likely be out by the end of 2008 for a 2009 model. Not positive but pretty sure.

·
5,600 Posts
deluke,

That is music to my tired ears. If that ends up being true, I can hold out another cold, dreary winter and miss out on the fun for one more summer, and get my car Jan-Feb 2009. I can live with that. That would work for me. But I must confess that in moments of weakness, I've been skimming ebay for a deal on low-mileage last year C5s. The LS2 has me hooked but I just can't warm up to the looks of the C5 or C6. :cryin:

I know you can't say for sure and new introductions can get delayed, but that timeframe just seems more logical to me. It wouldn't make much business sense for GM to produce the hard-top for just the last model year of the current generation car. You would think they would want to amortize the cost over at least a couple of years production.

Thanks again for your generosity in sharing the information you know with us. I really appreciate it. :grouphug:

You are the best. :dthumbs:

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
deluke : I think they will most likely be out by the end of 2008 for a 2009 model. Not positive but pretty sure.
Autoweek's '08 Buyer's Guide says "Fastback next year."

That agrees with the '09 model year.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks DeLuke

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If that ends up being true, I can hold out another cold, dreary winter and miss out on the fun for one more summer, and get my car Jan-Feb 2009
If the car hits the streets in Sep08, why wait till Jan Feb?

·
5,600 Posts
mena661,

I would like one right away but it will be back to finding a dealer that will sell me one for MSRP. I hate paying over list, on prinipal, but I can just see myself caving on this one so I can get a car faster than that time frame. I'm just guessing that I will refuse to pay over MSRP and by the time I find a dealer to order one at list, that is about the time I'll be getting my car.

Obviously, I would prefer to get one ASAP. There is a lot of time between now and then. The car has to be announced, dealers need allocations, I need to get on a waiting list, etc... We saw the same things for the Apprentice cars, the 1st GXPs. This is a new model with a new market. There are going to be A LOT OF PEOPLE who want this coupe, that never considered buying a Solstice roadster.

There is an entire market of people who really want an S2000 coupe or a Miata coupe, who really don't want to own a domestic car, but they want a RWD coupe so bad that they will consider a Solstice coupe. When the hardtop is formally announced, it is going to be bringing A LOT of crossover shoppers from among those who really want a Japanese car, but will settle for a GM of the type they are lusting for.

I am going to have to compete with that new avalanche of demand. To be sure, the markups on the 1st coupes are going to be every bit as bad as the 1st Sols and 1st GXPs. Yeah, if I can find a dealer who will do MSRP, then I wouldn't wait a day to order. But we are looking at yet another round of $3k markups on these things. I'll probably cave and pay it this time... :mad:

·
Administrator
9,145 Posts
I think they will most likely be out by the end of 2008 for a 2009 model. Not positive but pretty sure.
Autoweek's '08 Buyer's Guide says "Fastback next year."

That agrees with the '09 model year.
Hmmmm ..... IMHO .... I say until we see this car (Targa top or Coupe production) at some BIG car show in 2008 ... this is ALL purely speculation. If ... IF they are to produce for MY 2009, then why oh why have we not seen any *Spy Shots*? After all - the 2009 MY production is only 8 months away!!

Spy shots of the Solstice were out there well before .... where's the spy shots of the *Targa* or *Hardtop*? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
MomsSol : Hmmmm ..... IMHO .... I say until we see this car (Targa top or Coupe production) at some BIG car show in 2008 ... this is ALL purely speculation. If ... IF they are to produce for MY 2009, then why oh why have we not seen any *Spy Shots*? After all - the 2009 MY production is only 8 months away!!

Spy shots of the Solstice were out there well before .... where's the spy shots of the *Targa* or *Hardtop*?
Of course its speculation. What fun would it be if we knew what was going to happen ?

Spy shots are usually taken while a chassis is undergoing road or track testing. Adding a hard top to the Kappa would not require any additional chassis testing, since it would be impractical for GM to modify the chassis, even if it would result in a weight savings. No road testing, no spy shots.

And its early yet.

·
Administrator
9,145 Posts
Of course its speculation. What fun would it be if we knew what was going to happen ?

Spy shots are usually taken while a chassis is undergoing road or track testing. Adding a hard top to the Kappa would not require any additional chassis testing, since it would be impractical for GM to modify the chassis, even if it would result in a weight savings. No road testing, no spy shots.

And its early yet.
I know JR .... but also IIRC a thread not that long ago that started something like this:

Oh ... btw guys, I have a friend who has a friend who saw a Solstice being driven on the test track in Detroit ... and it had a hardtop convertible on it. Looks like it won't be long now! :thumbs:
Speculation is fun ... rumors are just rumors .... waiting is ......... a PAIN! :lol:

Just trying to quell some of the OMG its coming out this YEAR! :willy:

:glol:

·
5,600 Posts
Spy shots of the Solstice were out there well before .... where's the spy shots of the *Targa* or *Hardtop*? :huh:
Kathy,

Your point is well taken with one simple possibility explaining no spy shots. I have an interest in this, so of course I am hoping to find an explanation/rationalization, to keep my hopes alive.

All of the drivetrain/handing/NVH is done for the Solstice, so why would it be necessary to be driving around the streets in a Solstice hardtop? The only need I can possibly see to drive these cars on the streets is to test noise levels, but I still think that can be done in a wind tunnel. Leaks and seals can be checked inside a building.

I'm not sure there is any reason why it would ever have to leave GM grounds (except in an enclosed carrier). So spy shots would only be taken by GM employees, which is probably not a good idea. Is that what you mean? Or are you thinking it should be driving around the streets of Michigan?

Of course, you are dead right to keep the speculation in check until we get any official unveiling and details from Mother GM. Everything that is not a bad rumor is subject to change at this time. I will be baffled if they only offer the 1st Generation Solstice hardtop for one year as I can't see the business case for taking those costs for one year's sales.

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
jimbo : ....... I will be baffled if they only offer the 1st Generation Solstice hardtop for one year as I can't see the business case for taking those costs for one year's sales.
The coupe / fastback could very easily be a bolt-on similar to EDAG's Sportwagon. Eliminate the rear cockpit cowling and the top, and bolt it on.

Minimal changes, and it would be an ideal, low-cost way to regenerate sales near the end of the model run.

·
5,600 Posts
The coupe / fastback could very easily be a bolt-on similar to EDAG's Sportwagon. Eliminate the rear cockpit cowling and the top, and bolt it on.

Minimal changes, and it would be an ideal, low-cost way to regenerate sales near the end of the model run.
Fortunately, the rumor is of a true hardtop model with B-pillars and a targa top. A removable hardtop on the roadster might appeal to some, but not to me or others who want a true hardtop with all of the benefits inherent in a fixed steel top. A bolt-in top would generate some sales otherwise lost.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Fortunately, the rumor is of a true hardtop model with B-pillars and a targa top. A removable hardtop on the roadster might appeal to some, but not to me or others who want a true hardtop with all of the benefits inherent in a fixed steel top. A bolt-in top would generate some sales otherwise lost.
When I trade in I will want a true targa top.

·
Super Moderator
5,829 Posts
jimbo : Minimal changes, and it would be an ideal, low-cost way to regenerate sales near the end of the model run.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I said bolt-on, I did not mean removable. Bolt-on in terms of not being a ground-up chassis redesign. Add new structure to the existing chassis, probably change the rear-quarter skin to include the b- and c-pillars, but otherwise leave the chassis alone.

·
5,600 Posts
Gotcha! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Yeah, if I can find a dealer who will do MSRP, then I wouldn't wait a day to order.
It's a drive but my dealer doesn't do markups, not even on the Z06's when they were introduced. He's in Bakersfield. Let me know if you want his contact info.

·
5,600 Posts
Thanks, and I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm shopping. I'm going to need a contact like you to avoid paying markup.

61 - 80 of 137 Posts