Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Wish I had a picture of the ugly two door red Granada my parents owned in the seventies. The dealer had added a chrome luggage rack to the trunk to make it look "sportier". Luggage racks are to sports cars what gun racks are (were) to pickup trucks, or what a steeple is to a church, or a lucky hat on a fisherman, etc. You can have one with or without, but they look silly on anything else. :yesnod:

dengel said:
Here are a couple of after-market removable luggage racks that are available for the Miata. Should give people an idea of what GM may come up with. It looks like they may "grab" the sides of the deck lid, without any modification to the vehicle needed.
Looks serviceable, but what does it do to the paint?

DreamerDave said:
Wish I had a picture of the ugly two door red Granada my parents owned in the seventies. The dealer had added a chrome luggage rack to the trunk to make it look "sportier". Luggage racks are to sports cars what gun racks are (were) to pickup trucks, or what a steeple is to a church, or a lucky hat on a fisherman, etc. You can have one with or without, but they look silly on anything else. :yesnod:
ive notices that in the seventies and eighties people tended to do with luggage racks what people do with wings now. people used to put luggage racks on for style, sometimes it looked dorky, sometimes good. nowadays, you just see a lot of people puttinga big gaudy wing on a car that doesnt need it.sometimes it looks good, usually not.

PhatPhelix said:
Looks serviceable, but what does it do to the paint?
Not having seen one of these exact racks in person I can only guess. I have used removable roof racks and trunk mounted bike racks on other vehicles, which usually involve some sort of rubber or foam padding to protect the paint finish. These type usually work fine for short periods of time (say up to a week of vacation), but may leave some marks if left on permanently. I know some people who were lazy and left their roof racks on for a whole biking season (about six months here in NJ) and had some dirt and mess to clean off their car when they finally removed the rack. It didn't scratch the paint so much as leave behind some black crud from the rubber pads, which can be tough to remove.

dengel said:
Not having seen one of these exact racks in person I can only guess. I have used removable roof racks and trunk mounted bike racks on other vehicles, which usually involve some sort of rubber or foam padding to protect the paint finish. These type usually work fine for short periods of time (say up to a week of vacation), but may leave some marks if left on permanently. I know some people who were lazy and left their roof racks on for a whole biking season (about six months here in NJ) and had some dirt and mess to clean off their car when they finally removed the rack. It didn't scratch the paint so much as leave behind some black crud from the rubber pads, which can be tough to remove.
I hope so. I have visions of loose-fitting truck bedliners that rub away paint. :willy: Anything I can wash off (even if it takes some elbow grease) is fine with me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.