Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think GM missed when they didn't build the Nomad. I think it would have been a winner. We got to see it at the GM Heritage center last fall along with the original Solstice show car from 2002.

Reactions: CycleCat

·
Registered
338 Posts
The nomad could have been fun and quite unique in turbo SS trim, though not sure I would have enjoyed stopping for fuel every 160 miles (my estimate, based on packaging.)

I wonder if they would have sold more of the Nomad or the Envoy XUV that inherited its roof.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
When I was doing research on my Mallett, I ran across an article that said the Solstice was actually based off of the Nomad Corvette concept car. I think I posted it on this site, but cannot remember. The convertible top seems to follow the lines of the Nomad.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I can see some one was perhaps inspired by or used some design elements. But "based" ? That sounds like fake news to me :)

Any idea where you found that article ?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I've seen those prototypes before. None come anywhere near looking as good as what they did produce, so no great loss that they never went ahead with them. The only prototype that looked really good was the coupe, and they got that approved (though almost too late!)

·
Registered
586 Posts
wish in one hand want in the other and end up with squat.... I do like the varaints a lot. but not fond of the nomad nose, just not quite right. I have a buddy that just sold off his old oldsmobile 54 I think it had that old vett grill in it and did look factory.of coarse the car was choped lowered and lots more done very nicely. but that nomad....needed a new nose before it could be sold.

·
Registered
928 Posts
At the time Wilmington was closing down, Rodger Penske made an attempt to buy the plant and the rights to Solstice and Sky. If that deal would have went through, just imagine all of the cars that would have evolved from the Kappa platform.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Penske wasn't going to get the Sky, nor did he want it. He wasn't buying the factory either. He just wanted the name and distribution rights for whatever he decided to market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts