Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've had my car for a little over a week now and couldn't be happier with it. The experience, however, could have been better.

I wrote right after I picked up my car, that there was one small problem but that the dealer, GM, and myself were working on a solution. I just heard back from GM and I'm not really happy with the outcome. Though, it sounds like there's not much I can do.

After we picked up the car, my wife and I took it out to show to our kids, and some friends. While driving around we were checking out the various amenities of the car. My wife asked me about how to operate the AC, and while trying to show her, I came to the realization that this car didn't have AC.
The one small problem was I ordered it with AC.

I immediately called the dealer to question him. And, he asked "Are you sure? I'm looking at your order form right here and it definitely shows you ordered air"

So, anyways, that is the problem.

I called GM and told them, they said they would call me back. 1 week later they called and basically told me, they didn't know how it happened but that somehow the AC was never marked at the factory as being ordered.

I was not charged for the AC option, but that is not the point. GM told me that after it is built, the only way to add air, is through an aftermarket add-on.

Normally, on an ordered car they would just tell you, they are sorry for the mistake and order another with the correct options or trade to another dealer for one correctly appointed. The problem with that option is that my car is a first 1k. I can't get a replacement.

My wife is in love with the car, and just wants me to let it drop, and not raise a fuss. I just want what I ordered, and think that there should be a way to fix it. She's probably right screaming and such won't get much done. The dealer is as upset as I am about it, but not much he can do either.

Many of the systems on modern cars are modular and when it goes down the line you just grab the part from one bin if it has air, and from the other bin if it doesn't. So I think they should be able to totally replace the heater system with an air conditioning system. I mean, if it breaks it has to be repairable. I had the dealer run a tally of a piece by piece installation of an air conditioning system, and the total of the pieces came to a little over $1600. And that is just parts, no labor. the labor would be intense.

I feel like they cost me at least $1500 in retail value for a first 1k without air.

And now you have the rest of the story.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Why not ask GM to give you the parts for the price of the original option and have the dealer installation charge back to GM.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You might want to try calling the EOP hotline also if you haven't already. They have made themselves available to all the first 1000 orders and worked really hard to work out any problems with dealers or red tape. They also seem to have the ear of a couple of GM bigwigs and seem to get results very fast. The number is 866-539-0256. I would definitely let them know what happened and that you can't seem to get through to somebody who can help.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Wow! That really sucks! I'd be upset as you are. Unfortunately, I can also understand how GM is faced with the problem of correcting the mistake that was made on a “special, limited” run vehicle. It presents them with a big problem.

I would press the issue, but I would not expect that you are going to get the AC put in your car. The best recourse for GM is to take back your First 1000 car and give you a regular run car. What else can they do? BTW how did you come up with $1,500.00 loss of retail for not having AC? I think you will find that AC adds about $500’s to the retail value of a used car.

You can bet I’ll be checking for AC when I take delivery of my car. Good Luck and I hope it turns out to your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
There was more than several cases of people not getting stuff they ordered. Some cases it was blamed on dealer messing up order but I'm wondering if factory is messing up orders?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Did you ever see a printout of your order? If not, there's no way you can be certains as to who screwed up. It wouldn't be an option for me. I couldn't take delivery of a car without AC even if it was vin #001! It's too dang hot here!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
PubliusE said:
BTW how did you come up with $1,500.00 loss of retail for not having AC? I think you will find that AC adds about $500’s to the retail value of a used car.
Yeah, but since the car is still so new and very high demand, even a used one will still fetch at least MSRP and probably even more. So I think it's safe to assume it's worth at least the price of the factory option, which is right around $1000. When you also consider the fact that a large number of people wouldn't even consider buying a new car without A/C (it's really not old enough to follow the classic "used car" guidelines IMHO), it narrows the buyer pool considerably, so I could easily see the car going for more than $1000 less than a comparable car with air. As time goes by and the prices drop, the cars that are several years old start to get into the price range of some bargain hunters (college students, etc.) who are willing to make concessions for a used car and things like A/C, so the value of such extras can become diminished. But as long as the car is still selling for new car prices, the buyer pool doesn't have as many of those thrifty people looking to save a few bucks on a car without A/C. Oh well ... this is all very speculative, but that's my take on the matter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Why not ask GM to give you the parts for the price of the original option and have the dealer installation charge back to GM.
:agree: If you can put a paper trail together that proves A/C was on the order, then I think this would a much better solution than GM just saying "Sorry 'bout that".

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Talk to your dealer and ask if they can put the AC in at their cost. Then everybodys happy and they are not loosing money.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LatinVenom said:
That was the first track that I tried, they came up with just a parts list of $1600 not including labor. I told them that I didn't think that I should pay any more than the ordered option price of $960 + tax.
The dealer agreed and said that they would have to investigte the changeover procedure. When they heard back from the factory, on what would be required, (the AC unit is completely installed even before the engine) they wanted to investigate more as to who exactly was at fault and would have to pickup the difference. EOP called back and told me that they too, were doing more investigating and I should not do anything at this time.

PubliusE said:
Wow! That really sucks! I'd be upset as you are. Unfortunately, I can also understand how GM is faced with the problem of correcting the mistake that was made on a “special, limited” run vehicle. It presents them with a big problem.
I agree, and can understand as the entire profit made by GM, on this car, could well be burned up in labor and parts overhead. But I just want documentation at this point as I take the time to 'bump it up the line'.

And, it may be that I may have to take some sort of hit to end up with what I ordered. Sucks, but is life.

BubblePix said:
If you can put a paper trail together that proves A/C was on the order, then I think this would a much better solution than GM just saying "Sorry 'bout that".
I don't plan on letting this drop yet, but I may be tilting at windmills. We are still working together, and I'm still optomistic. I also still love this car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
MI Sol said:
That was the first track that I tried, they came up with just a parts list of $1600 not including labor. I told them that I didn't think that I should pay any more than the ordered option price of $960 + tax.
The dealer agreed and said that they would have to investigte the changeover procedure. When they heard back from the factory, on what would be required, (the AC unit is completely installed even before the engine) they wanted to investigate more as to who exactly was at fault and would have to pickup the difference. EOP called back and told me that they too, were doing more investigating and I should not do anything at this time.

I agree, and can understand as the entire profit made by GM, on this car, could well be burned up in labor and parts overhead. But I just want documentation at this point as I take the time to 'bump it up the line'.

And, it may be that I may have to take some sort of hit to end up with what I ordered. Sucks, but is life.

I don't plan on letting this drop yet, but I may be tilting at windmills. We are still working together, and I'm still optomistic. I also still love this car.
You have areally good attitude about it. I hope you get it worked out satisfactorily.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
:willy: I just don't know what to say :brentil:

Fortunately, you're in Michigan and not Arizona (or course there is a whole list of reasons you're better off in Michigan ;) ). Can't really say what I'd do in your shoes - I'm sure in the long run, you'd be better off to drop it and move on - but that is WAY easier said than done :banghead:

Damn-it, you held up your end of the deal - they should have to do the same :cuss: But life is short - and better with a Solstice without A/C, than one with no Solstice at all :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Editguy said:
You have areally good attitude about it. I hope you get it worked out satisfactorily.
It has to be a testimonial to my mom and that whole 'more flies with honey, than with vinegar' speach she gave me about 10000 times :yesnod: :yesnod:

But, that doesn't mean give up because they said NO.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
MI Sol: That is horrible news! I sincerely hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction, if that is even possible. I would not be contacting any media yet, since Pontiac and your dealer are still in the ball game trying to resolve the problem

Profit is a huge motivating factor for companies like GM. However, in this case, if it really was Wilmington that screwed up, I think they should put your Solstice back on a train to Wilmington, let them disassemble the car as much as necessary and put the A/C in, then reassemble and pass QC, and ship it back to you, all at no cost to you or the dealer.

Please keep posting MI Sol, with updates. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sorry to hear that after all the anticipation we have gone through. I hate when a comany screws up and says OH WELL because of the cost. Good will goes a long way.
I think they should fix it for you because a first 1000 can't be replaced. It's too bad that you didn't notice that the car was cheaper in price than you expected and had that tip you off that something was wrong before you took delivery.

I checked that my car was just as ordered before I finalised the deal and suggest that all others do the same in the future. I wish you good luck and hope to hear you got things made right. I for one do pay attention to others experiences and how a company treats them in making the decision as to wheather or not to deal with them in the future. So GM you have a chance to make a couple thousand people feel good about you and your committment to your customers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts