Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale on eBay - link https://www.ebay.com/itm/273348741498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649 So had my state referee inspection this morning and things didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I have listed the issue below that were noted from 'California Engine Change Guidelines' by tech and now considering selling the car vs. going through the hoops needed to make this happen...If you have relevant/helpful input it would be appreciated...will sell for $30K if interested. + Extras = Rollbar & DDM braces all new in box!

1) Transmission must match donor engine/car (2007 corvette) or T56...car currently has stock 5-speed transmission!
2) Some of ECM pid's not registerstering values...ECM must be configured for 2007 corvette currently not!
3) Passenger side CAT needs to be within 6" of stock corvette location...currently approx. 12"!
4) Downstream 02 sensors need to be within 1" of CAT's...currently approx. 12-16"!

Probably looking in the neighborhood of $5-7K with new parts/labor and no guarantees everything will fly at next inspection!

The kicker is I have the following either in my possession or en route for car: RPM Chrome Molly carbon fiber finish 4pt rollbar, DDM Chasis brace, DDM Probeam approx. $4.5K

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
Find a way to register it outside of Cali.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I can't suggest any magical solutions to your CA reg woes. However, there might be a way around the CA regs... There are a number of states with looser regulations that are easy to establish residency in. South Dakota allows you to set up residency and register a vehicle through the mail. (Admittedly, yours might require a little more effort.) All you need is a mail forwarding service. Google "SD mail box," and you'll get a bunch of them. Lots of RV people use these mail forwarding services in order to establish a fixed mailing address when traveling full time.

While the above suggestion won't fix your issues with CA, it might be worth the cost to look into this for a few years until you can break free of CA residency and their crazy regs. You've, no doubt, got a lot of dollars wrapped up in the car already, so what's a few hundred more to "fix" the problem?

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I am at the National, will try to find the statement that goes on the form. But won't be able to do that until I return. Mine went right thru, but it was two years ago, so maybe something has changed.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those that have suggested registering in a another state...the California Highway Patrol has cracked down on out of state plates/vehicles to bypass somog laws and can tow your vehicle if they determine your primary residence is CA and the vehicle spends a majority of it's time here.
Funny how a vehicle can be legal in the other 49 states but not here...a lot like how our 2nd Amendment Rights are trampled on here!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
There's a lot of reasons I'm glad I live in Tennessee and I can't say that goofy stuff like this is not one of them. California is a cool place to visit but I wouldn't want to make it my home. I hope you get your car straightened out. Weren't these car sold through GM with factory warrantee? How could they not been CA certified?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I remember someone at a dealership I installed in California telling me how they got their 1500hp Supra passed. It cost him a little money...eh um.... And then "his" inspector quit, so now he rips the car apart, has it inspected, them puts it back together.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1) Transmission must match donor engine/car (2007 corvette) or T56...car currently has stock 5-speed transmission!
2) Some of ECM pid's not registerstering values...ECM must be configured for 2007 corvette currently not!
3) Passenger side CAT needs to be within 6" of stock corvette location...currently approx. 12"!
4) Downstream 02 sensors need to be within 1" of CAT's...currently approx. 12-16"!
Sorry to hear about #1, shame they picked that one up.
#2, sounds like you have a GMPP crate motor ECM, which won't have the full set of emissions controls set up. An ECM replacement can resolve that.
#3, I wonder if earlier cars/5 speed cars have a different exhaust layout?
#4 - that's a simple fix. Odd that the secondary O2s are so far back.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the input.

At this point I am leaning towards selling the car as I bought this one in hopes of NOT having these types of issues and having to 'modify' the car even further just to satisfy this crazy state as the car is PERFECT as is :(

I should be receiving the title in the next week or 2, registered as 'non op' in order to receive title, and will advertise on eBay for maximum exposure...would let it go to a forum member here for what I have into it -shipping costs...could even throw in 2xDDM braces and RPM chrome molly rollbar ($4K)...contact me if interested.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I sent Bob (Skerfsfan) a PM but, regardless of his experience, this car is already in the system and flagged with the issues as documented so not sure how anyone else's experience applies...

I don't want to start making changes to this car, that may or may not suffice to be able to register here, with no guarantees the car will perform as well as it does currently while losing money on the originality of the Mallett conversion since this car is in showroom condition.

Once again...not good enough for the Nannies that run this state but, just fine for the other 49 states in 'real' America!

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
The shop is going to try and pull up the records this morning. I have not been by there, as we had a falling out over the body work and paint they did. I have not found the paper work on it, so maybe the new owner has it.

Mine was older, a year older engine. It was made in 2005. Will try to find out what I can today, but have been called into work. I spoke with Curtis and he doesn't remember what we were toald by emissions board. A certain phrase, and it went right thru. The guy told us then, that they had a guy in the office that drove one.

Sorry to hear this is still going on.

Bob

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The shop is going to try and pull up the records this morning. I have not been by there, as we had a falling out over the body work and paint they did. I have not found the paper work on it, so maybe the new owner has it.

Mine was older, a year older engine. It was made in 2005. Will try to find out what I can today, but have been called into work. I spoke with Curtis and he doesn't remember what we were toald by emissions board. A certain phrase, and it went right thru. The guy told us then, that they had a guy in the office that drove one.

Sorry to hear this is still going on.

Bob
There have been significant changes to 'engine change guidelines' recently which may make prior experiences irrelevant - https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Smog_Check_Help/Smog_Check_Manual_and_Reference_Guide.html

1 - 20 of 52 Posts