Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Morfious...your location for the GPS antenna is pure genius!!! After ripping my car apart, there is not another location better suited for the antenna. Reception is perfect top up or down. A truly great find!

Regards,
vtail
Thanks for the heads up. I anxiously await your VSS wire install. I doubt I will tie into that any time soon as navigation is great without it. Perhaps later on when the amps and new speakers go in I will try again. Using your pictures here (haha).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know im the only sucker with factory base everything. No steering wheel controls, no onstar, etc.

Can someone tell me which of these parts I need to install the Avic D3? I dont think Id need any harness would I since it's just the base without onstar?

Any help would be great, Im trying to do it myself because im to poor to pay someone. :lol:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know im the only sucker with factory base everything. No steering wheel controls, no onstar, etc.

Can someone tell me which of these parts I need to install the Avic D3? I dont think Id need any harness would I since it's just the base without onstar?

Any help would be great, Im trying to do it myself because im to poor to pay someone. :lol:
In your case just get the Avic-D3 and the Metra 71-204 harness which plugs into the factory harness. You will only lose the click of the turn signals and the door open chimes. Even with the GMOS-LAN-04 or 03...the turn signal click is so soft it is almost unhearable anyway. If you want to keep the chimes and turn signals...just get the Metra GMOS-LAN-03 harness instead of the 71-204.

Good luck!
vtail

·
Registered
52 Posts
In your case just get the Avic-D3 and the Metra 71-204 harness which plugs into the factory harness. You will only lose the click of the turn signals and the door open chimes. Even with the GMOS-LAN-04 or 03...the turn signal click is so soft it is almost unhearable anyway. If you want to keep the chimes and turn signals...just get the Metra GMOS-LAN-03 harness instead of the 71-204.

Good luck!
vtail
Awesome. Saves me money at least hahaha. I dont have the chimes when my door opens.. lol. I have the very base solstice you can get I think. Only additional part is the AC. But roll up windows, no power locks, nothing else. Even the lame base speakers. But hey its a roadster, sometimes you gotta make sacrafices for the things you love. :)

And just so I know, does the plastic outer covering to make it look like it belongs in the dash, does that come with the avic kit, or is that ordered seperately from GM?

Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morfious,

Great install! I have a few questions, though, because I'm going to be installing a Bluetooth JVC head unit and a Sirius reciever next week. First, is it easy to get the back panel behind the seats out? Second, did you install the magnetic pad for your antenna yourself? Is it just a piece of metal that you attached to the top of the center console? And lastly, was it easy to fish and attach the microphone for your Bluetooth in the A pillar where the On Star microphone slits are? I don't have On Star, but I'd love to mount my microphone there.

Thanks for the pics. That's a great place to mount the Sirius tuner!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I finally got mine installed, and I love it! They were able to put the Sirius box in the same spot the XM box was, and hook the XM antenna up without any modifications to it (so they say). I think the XM antenna acutally gives me better sirius reception than my other car, who was always cutting out when I drove under bridges. It's a shame you only get 1 line of info for Sirius, though :(

I am kind of annoyed by the automatic dimming of this thing, though. It seems it was hooked up to the headlight wire, so when the headlights go on, the radio automatically dims. Which is fine for nighttime driving, but during the day, if it's a little overcast, the headlights will automatically come on, and the display dims, making it hard to read.

Also annoyed that the first time you switch to the nav after turning on the car, you always get that nag screen and have to press OK. Is there a way to permanently get rid of that screen?

On a similar note, every time I turn on the car, i get a message saying that the unit is not hooked up to the emergency brake correctly. I am assuming this is because my installers did a bypass or something? I didn't ask them to, but I was able to play a DVD without having the emergency brake on. That's cool, I guess, but that message sure is annoying.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
And just so I know, does the plastic outer covering to make it look like it belongs in the dash, does that come with the avic kit, or is that ordered seperately from GM?

Thanks for responding!
The extra dash kit is Metra - 95-3302 (Double din dash install kit) that is a seperate from most places. If you order from crutchfield give them the part numbers for the dash kit and antennae adapter and they will throw it in for free. If you do not plan to use the GMOS harness I have the basic wiring harness I can give you for cheap as well. I ordered it not realizing that the GMOS harness woud take its place. The harness is nice since you can wire it up to the Pioneer harness in the basement and just plug it into the dash. Easy to change or upgrade since there is no tie in to the cars wiring. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Morfious,

Great install! I have a few questions, though, because I'm going to be installing a Bluetooth JVC head unit and a Sirius reciever next week. First, is it easy to get the back panel behind the seats out? Second, did you install the magnetic pad for your antenna yourself? Is it just a piece of metal that you attached to the top of the center console? And lastly, was it easy to fish and attach the microphone for your Bluetooth in the A pillar where the On Star microphone slits are? I don't have On Star, but I'd love to mount my microphone there.

Thanks for the pics. That's a great place to mount the Sirius tuner!
The back panel is quite easy to get out. You have to take the rear side panels off first)the panel that houses the rear speakers). The entire back panel is just held on with panel pins, so just tug gently and it will come right out. Slightly more difficult is to get it back into place. Once you line up a few pins it goes right in though.

The magnetic pad came with my D3. It is supposed to help with reception of the GPS antennas, but it worked out fine to hold both antennas in my install. You could probably find a thin piece of sheet metal and put on some double sided tape for a similar effect if you are not getting the D3.

The mike routing was a bit difficult. I ran the wire across the dashboard underneath the gage cluster. You will see where to pull up the microphone when you take off the A pillar. I could not figure a real solid way to mount the mike with screws so I just taped it into position with electrical tape. There is a ridge in the back of the A pillar where it will fit quite nicely. I did not have onstar either and this seemed like the best place. Everyone I have spoken to on the bluetooth adapter says I sound fine (farther away then when using the handset, but no difficulty hearing me at all).

Also annoyed that the first time you switch to the nav after turning on the car, you always get that nag screen and have to press OK. Is there a way to permanently get rid of that screen?

On a similar note, every time I turn on the car, i get a message saying that the unit is not hooked up to the emergency brake correctly. I am assuming this is because my installers did a bypass or something? I didn't ask them to, but I was able to play a DVD without having the emergency brake on. That's cool, I guess, but that message sure is annoying.
There is no way to get rid of the HIT OK to Continue screen. Every nav system I have seen has this, there must be some legal reason for it.

Try one thing before you take it back to the shop. Hold down the reset button on the front of the unit. If the bypass is done correctly this will get rid of the improper emergency brake notice. If a reset does not work then the shop just grounded your parking brake and did not perform the bypass correctly. I have a proper bypass and am able to search for POI and watch videos while driving. I get no messages about improper installation. Just a word of caution, if your video works now, it may not in 100 miles or so. Hopefully the reset will fix things for you.

Bypass AVIC D3 information

I take no responsibility for what you do with this information and it may be illegal to do in your state. I am just passing on information that I have found.

Bypass for this unit is quite easy. First you have to ground the parking brake wire. This will make the D3 think that you have your parking brake on at all times. I used the ground wire in the wiring harness.

Second locate the Yellow wire with a black stripe in the Avic Harness. It's on the plug with all the red and white stereo plugs. If you look at the white plastic plug you will notice an empty slot right above this wire. Using a small screwdriver pry up the plastic plug and pull out the wire. Replace it into the hole directly above. Ground this wire as well with the parking brake wire. Hook everything up and hit reset on the front of the unit. You are now bypassed. Here is a picture from the AVIC 411 forums for clarity.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I should have looked in this thread before posting a new thread about the VSS location.

Sorry, but it wouldnt let me search VSS for some reason.

I have the automatic transmission, would my VSS wire location be the same. Drivers side, ECU? Under the 3 caps?

Since the manual has 2 options, hi speed, etc. Would the auto probably have this as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did this install myself also. The VSS wire on the NA auto trans is on the ECU. Of the three plugs, it's the one on the bottom so you will have to remove all three. Cut into the sheathing to reveal all the various wires and it's the solid yellow wire you want to tap. Good luck. It's pretty easy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did this install myself also. The VSS wire on the NA auto trans is on the ECU. Of the three plugs, it's the one on the bottom so you will have to remove all three. Cut into the sheathing to reveal all the various wires and it's the solid yellow wire you want to tap. Good luck. It's pretty easy.
Your my hero. I heard the D3 tends to function better when the VSS is used. And after my last horror experiance in my FJ without a VSS wire, I really want to do this right. Thanks man!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's being installed right now. Im like a giddy school girl waiting her to get it back.

I took my solstice up to san fransico from Orange County, CA. And it was a blast, only thing missing was a navigation unit and the trip would have been perfect!

By the way, I put 2040 miles on my car in its first seven days of ownership. That a record around here?

·
Registered
329 Posts
So I finally got my AVIC-D3 and the GMOS-LAN-04 and put them together. Yesterday I pulled my car apart and removed my stock stereo. Just as an FYI to anyone out there, if you have Monsoon but no Onstar, you need the GMOS-LAN-02, as the -04 does not fit the car's harness.

Here's my problem: I hooked up the red wire to ACC and the yellow wire to BATTERY like the instructions say, yet my AVIC was on even when my car was off. The only way to turn it off was to undo the negative battery cable. Also, I followed the instructions as far as the RCA jacks for the speakers are concerned, but I got no sound either.

Luckily I was able to get my stock stereo back in and working, so no loss. Also, I have the GPS and reverse sensing lines ran under my transmission tunnel cover, so that's a plus. But I still don't have my AVIC in!! Anyone have any ideas?:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :cuss: :cuss: :cryin: :cryin: :mad:

·
Registered
884 Posts
So I finally got my AVIC-D3 and the GMOS-LAN-04 and put them together. Yesterday I pulled my car apart and removed my stock stereo. Just as an FYI to anyone out there, if you have Monsoon but no Onstar, you need the GMOS-LAN-02, as the -04 does not fit the car's harness.

Here's my problem: I hooked up the red wire to ACC and the yellow wire to BATTERY like the instructions say, yet my AVIC was on even when my car was off. The only way to turn it off was to undo the negative battery cable. Also, I followed the instructions as far as the RCA jacks for the speakers are concerned, but I got no sound either.

Luckily I was able to get my stock stereo back in and working, so no loss. Also, I have the GPS and reverse sensing lines ran under my transmission tunnel cover, so that's a plus. But I still don't have my AVIC in!! Anyone have any ideas?:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :cuss: :cuss: :cryin: :cryin: :mad:
Now we hear that the GMOS-04 does not work with the Monsoon with no OnStar. Just ordered this adapter for my install with Monsoon & no OnStar. Damn, now we will have to return the adapter and order the other one. How do you know the 02 adpater will work? Do you have it on good authority from someone in the know?

I was just waiting on the 04 adapter to arrive in the mail to complete my install--glad you headed me off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, when I say the 02 works, I mean that the plugs fit. No idea if it actually works, since I STILL can't get it to work! :banghead:

The wires on my radio harnesses are shrinking like crazy lol. I've decided that I'm going to have to suck it up and go to a professional installer. The last attempt I made last night caused my car to not even start up until I physically removed all attachments from the AVIC head unit to my car. Once it was out, she started right up.

I'm pretty discouraged now. I pretty much suck at electrical stuff. It all looks fairly easy, I just followed the directions and I didn't have any issues with them either, they were fairly self-explanatory. But it just never works for me when it comes to wiring!

BTW russ, grats on winning the photo contest in April at kappasphere!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Winning the picture contest was a real surprise. Now what to do with the $50 credit?? May order another Kangaroo pouch for the driver's side and a Solstice key fob. Really do not need anything else they are offering.

Sorry about the install. With my job at General Motors Isuzu Commercial Truck, and GM moving to have International build their medium duty trucks for Chevy and GMC--we are up to our necks reorganizing to just handle Isuzu trucks.

With all this going on I simply do not have the time and patience to do the install myself. Think I have the right installer lined up now and as stated--was only waiting on the adapter in order to bring the car to them. Purchased a bulk pack of Dynamat Extreme to have the full interior covered before the stereo install. Should tighten things up, and less vibration/noise--yes it is a convertible but it still will benefit from this application.

8" JL Audio sub just showed up as well as the Alpine 4" speakers for the rear. Was convinced not to install the rears but both installers I spoke to said for the little money the speakers go for, I should have them installed. They will be driven by the head unit, but the front separates--MB Quarts will be driven by the Alpine 4 channel amp as well as the 8" sub.

Looking forward to having all this installed and notching up the sound a good bit. With the top down all the time, I am tired of not being able to read anything on the face of the factory head unit--have high hopes the AVIC will be a lot more visible in direct sunlight.

Keep us posted as to how things turn out. Will post my install details once things move forward. Going to have the installer take photos along the way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, I know that the AVIC head unit is very bright. I was actually able to get the GPS working since I couldn't figure out how to turn it off or get the nighttime dimmer to work. I honestly doubt there will be any problem seeing it with the top down. It's very colorful too!;)

Even though I hope to have this installed before too long, if I get super lazy and it just sits in my garage for a few days until you get yours done (quite possible :lol: ) then I would really appreciate the pics!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Now we hear that the GMOS-04 does not work with the Monsoon with no OnStar. Just ordered this adapter for my install with Monsoon & no OnStar. Damn, now we will have to return the adapter and order the other one. How do you know the 02 adpater will work? Do you have it on good authority from someone in the know?

I was just waiting on the 04 adapter to arrive in the mail to complete my install--glad you headed me off.
I have Monsoon with no OnStar and I can guarantee you that the GMOS-o4 works perfectly with this setup.

Regards,
vtail

·
Registered
167 Posts
GMOS-lan-04

I have monsoon with no onstar. I just had the alpine iva-w205 installed and after a few failed attempts (i am almost positive they tried the lan-02 adapter first) they got it working properly with the lan-04 adapter.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
As far as I know the GMOS-Lan-03 or GMOS-LAN-04 should be the only 2 harnesses you would need. If someone can send me a pdf of the install sheet on the GMOS-LAN-04 I can be of some assistance. I have installed the Lan-03 and could not find the instructions for the Lan-04 posted anywhere. Either post on here or send a PM and I will do what I can for you.

You should not be making alterations to the factory radio harness. You make all the connections between the GMOS harness and the head unit harness. Then you just plug them both together. Sounds like you had the +12v and accessory lines crossed.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts