Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello, I just joined. I bought and 07 GXP and I want to do almost exactly what you have done with your car. I can't install myself and I need alot of help. I'm in South NJ. I got a 2000 dollar quote today. I don't like the setup they were going to give me. Can you help?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hello, I just joined. I bought and 07 GXP and I want to do almost exactly what you have done with your car. I can't install myself and I need alot of help. I'm in South NJ. I got a 2000 dollar quote today. I don't like the setup they were going to give me. Can you help?
I'd be more than happy to help. I can answer questions or work the soldering iron if needed. Just bring some cold beers along.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
New Components Installed

I picked up my car earlier this evening and all I can say is OMFG this sounds awesome. What a difference the Dynamat made, I almost could not hear the street race exhaust. Then I stomped on it and it came to life as it should :cool: No more annoying rattles and squeeks. I am very happy with teh results. The shop (Tweeter) took pictures of the install process for me so I will post the best of those as soon as I get them developed, until then here are a few teaser pics:

New front speakers and tweeters

Flush mounted radar detector in place of the passenger airbag light (will get painted in a few weeks)

Close up of radar detector

Amp Installed behind the drivers seat

more info and pics to come later

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Update and a few WIP pictures:

Chris my installer doing his custom thing on the amp rack:

Behold the wonderful devices that make my ears happy the JL Audio ZR series components ($800) and worth every penny of it.

Dynamat installed:

Dynamat on the doors as well (new speakers installed in factory location):

Even more Dynamat (check out the slick crossover mounting position)

I am very happy with the quality and sound of my new system. I can't wait for the subwoofer to be released so I can complete my system. The bass response is tremendous even without a sub.

·
Registered
884 Posts
With the crossovers mounted in the cavity where the sub enclosure goes are you not going to have to relocate them when you do add the sub--(REQUIRED in my mind).

Attached is a photo of my install and you can see where the installer put the larger MB Quart crossovers and there is no problem with the panels coming back together.

I did not notice too much difference with roof down after the install of the Dynamat Extreme covering all the interior, including the floor, firewall, trans tunnel and like you the doors and back wall. To me it made a big difference with the roof up--much more liveable. Now we only have a little wind noise due the soft top but not all the road noise from the floor, doors and drivetrain noise through the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The car is going back to teh shop in a month or 2 for the subwoofer install. I have no idea where he is going to put the sirius adapter or the crossovers when the sub gets installed. I'll leave that up to him, he knew what I wanted to do from the beginning so who knows. I love the sound of my new system.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow, great information. This post is very helpful. I love how you laid everything out. The amp location and fit looks great! Very nice.

So, umm, going to be in Phoenix anytime soon, I've got boxes of stuff just waiting to go in my Solstice? (just joking... or am I)

Keep up the good work ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great Write up

Just my questions:

Is this what I need?

Pioneer - AVIC D3 (Head unit)
PAC SWI-PS (Steering Wheel control)
Metra - 95-3302 (Double din dash install kit)
Metra - 40-cr10 (Antenna adapter)
METRA - GMOS-LAN-03 (Onstar / chime harness) For monsoon system (also puts out VSS signal)

I have the base stereo right now.

Can I use the GMOS-LAN-04 if I want to have the VSS (even though I am not coming from a Monsoon system)? If I am able to use this one, is it correct that I will not need the relay for the blinkers?

Do I need the Metra 40-cr10 antenna? Is this for the GPS?

If I don't care about the steering wheel controls, could I go with a basic harness? *just wondering

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great looking system! I had a few questions though. Best Buy has been doing my install, and they are having trouble getting everything to work correctly. Specifically, I wanted to know how the Sirius reception is with the antenna in the spot you noted. Everywhere they stick it, it drops all the time.

I'm using an Eclipse headunit (the one with the tomtom built in) and we're also having trouble with white noise through the tweeters (components run by a fosgate amp), steering wheel controls (only a couple of buttons work), and the dimmer. I missed where you hooked up the auto dimmer. Mine works most of the time, but occasionally it switches between bright/dim for no reason. If you could provide that again, I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Just my questions:

Is this what I need?

Pioneer - AVIC D3 (Head unit)
PAC SWI-PS (Steering Wheel control)
Metra - 95-3302 (Double din dash install kit)
Metra - 40-cr10 (Antenna adapter)
METRA - GMOS-LAN-03 (Onstar / chime harness) For monsoon system (also puts out VSS signal)

I have the base stereo right now.

Can I use the GMOS-LAN-04 if I want to have the VSS (even though I am not coming from a Monsoon system)? If I am able to use this one, is it correct that I will not need the relay for the blinkers?

Do I need the Metra 40-cr10 antenna? Is this for the GPS?

If I don't care about the steering wheel controls, could I go with a basic harness? *just wondering

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Yes you can use the GMOS-LAN-04 harness as it will have the VSS wire and you will not need a relay to keep the blinker click.

The antenna adapter is to hook up the factory radio antenna to the new radio, so if you listen to FM or AM you will need it.

The GMOS harness will keep your onstar as well as your factory beeps and warning tones. So you will need that regardless of what radio you decide to get. The steering wheel adapter is a separate piece.

Great looking system! I had a few questions though. Best Buy has been doing my install, and they are having trouble getting everything to work correctly. Specifically, I wanted to know how the Sirius reception is with the antenna in the spot you noted. Everywhere they stick it, it drops all the time.

I'm using an Eclipse headunit (the one with the tomtom built in) and we're also having trouble with white noise through the tweeters (components run by a fosgate amp), steering wheel controls (only a couple of buttons work), and the dimmer. I missed where you hooked up the auto dimmer. Mine works most of the time, but occasionally it switches between bright/dim for no reason. If you could provide that again, I would really appreciate it!
I have had no issues with my Sirius antenna in its current location. I actually get better reception than I do in my Jeep with the antenna in plain view on the hood of the Jeep. The eclipse uses a different adapter box so that my have some issues I'm not aware of.

White noise - check your connections and make sure you power and signal wires are not running right next to each other. Only other options I can think of are check your ground wire and make sure the gains are not turned up to the max on the amp.

The dimmer should work just fine or not at all. My screen will turn to night mode if I turn the fog lights on. You can test it by holding your hand over the light sensor on the dash. If it turns to night mode it's hooked up correctly.

As for the steering wheel, it seems like there is a programming issue. All my buttons work as they should. volume, track and ff/rw as well as mute.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im looking to do one of these installs myself soon. I have an '07 GXP with onstar and monsoon. One quick question: Where is the factory XM reciever box installed?
Thanks! (I'm sure I'll have more soon)

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I got to see Morfious' radio last weekend, I've got to tell you, that is cool $hit, I gotta have one. If anyone knows how to get ahold of SkyNV, PM me, he's selling his.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I've got all my goodies, doing the install this weekend. Wish me luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got mine too, but will be waiting a few weeks for install. First time trying something like this so I know it going to take some time. I just have the stock radio with mp3 now. How does the speaker wires hook up to the GMOS-LAN-03 cable do you have to add RCA plugs to the wire ends or cut off the ones from the D3 and splice? The rest of the hook up looks easy, even the by-pass. VSS, reverse, parking brake are all on the GMOS-LAN-03 if you want to use them. The thing that I wonder about most is there going to be enough room to fit GMOS box back there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How does the speaker wires hook up to the GMOS-LAN-03 cable do you have to add RCA plugs to the wire ends or cut off the ones from the D3 and splice?
Guess I should have looked at the manual first, was looking at the wrong set of wires, this is going to be fun :brentil:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
I've got all my goodies, doing the install this weekend. Wish me luck
Good luck give me a call if you need some assistance.

UPDATE:

I received a call from Tweeter (my stereo install shop) that the JL audio thin 13" line sub has finally been released and that the 12" version should be out sometime in May. I am still planning on having a custom made fiberglass sub enclosure and the JL 12" thin sub installed this summer. Be warned this unit is not cheap. It retails for $449 and can handle up to 500 Watts. I hope to achieve a factory look, but with far superior than factory performance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One more D3 installed

I installed my AVIC D3 over the weekend and what a great unit this is for the money. First I would like to thank Morfious for the great write up he did on the install, it helped a lot. I only added the bluetooth and ipod but left capped off leads to add on in the future. I went from a standard CD with mp3. The new METRA - GMOS-LAN-03 cable has all the wires needed to do the hook up, even VSS. The only difference I had was the illumination wire, it was labeled orange white in the instructions but on the wire harness it was orange purple, pinned in the same place.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts