Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Would you join a Solstice club?

• Hell yeah! I'm there!

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Maybe, I'll have to see what it's about.

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No freekin' way! I hate that crap!

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Solstice will no doubt generate a fan/car club. Would you join? What would/do you like about car clubs? Should it be a national club with regional chapters? What would you want it to be? :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Isn't that pretty much what we're starting here anyway?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What would we do in the club...race? We could all paint our cars different colors and race them up and down I5...the CHP wouldn't know what to do with us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in

I would defiantly join. As of what to do go to races, and just cruise.
my first car was a 91 mercury capri, I read about a club in Austreila where they meet up and just take a drive around the country, we could meet up and drive to some weekend races and show off our babies. I went ont time a few years ago I went to a vintage race weekend a Road Atlanta and a Delorean club came there was about 20 of them from all over the country.
:patriot :cheers

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Never been much of a club type, well I've never tried it. It seems that some of the get togethers that other clubs have had, when i've watched them on TV, have a great deal of fun. I guess if you haven't tried them don't knock them :cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
The very best thing about owning a unique sports car is belonging to a club. Its like a beautiful sunset, the sunset is nice, but it can only be truly enjoyed when you have someone to share it with. You get together with other like minded enthusiasts, brag how fast you are, brag about new additions to your car, learn from their mistakes, you know, bench race.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
roadster said:
The very best thing about owning a unique sports car is belonging to a club. Its like a beautiful sunset, the sunset is nice, but it can only be truly enjoyed when you have someone to share it with. You get together with other like minded enthusiasts, brag how fast you are, brag about new additions to your car, learn from their mistakes, you know, bench race.
The more I think about it and the more I hear about the pros I kind of look forward to trying it.I know there is the cons but were isn't there :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd most likely join a Solstice club.

Each club is a little different, and what it does really depends on what the membership is interested in. Some clubs just do get togethers to check out everyone's cars and cruise around. Some schedule track days where everyone gets together and pools some money to rent a track for a few hours for some fun. Or the two can be combined and you can have a meet, and a track day. The local Pontiac club is mainly about getting together and bragging about the cars. They don't actually rent any track time or run the cars other than to just cruise around. On the flip side, there is a local Mustang club that would never schedule an event that didn't include some kind of hard driving. Its just the difference between what the memberships really want.

Anyone who is so interested in this car that they are already on this forum should at least give a club a shot. Go to an even to or two and see if you like what they are doing. They can be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
"If you own a Solstice and you don't belong to a Solstice Club, you just own a car"

Just an example, the San Diego Miata Club is a pretty diverse group, with driving schools, suspension seminars, dyno tuning, autocross, track days, auto shows, parades, and Miata drives galore. Here is a list (probably incomplete) of their events for last year.

01/01 5th Annual Hangover Run
01/15 Olympic Torch Relay
01/05 Laguna Seca Track Day
01/19-20 Autocross at the Q
01/24 Monthly Meeting
01/25-26 Las Vegas Getaway
01/26 Autocross at the Q
02/05 Laguna Seca Track Day
02/13-18 San Diego International Auto Show
02/16 Track Driving Techniques, Suspension & Driving Seminars
02/24 There's Something Fishy About This Run II
02/26 Monthly Meeting
03/2-3 Autocross at the Q
03/15-17 National Tour Autocross Championship at the Q
03/16 Sahuaro Miata Club Second Annual Miata Roundup Car Show
03/16 San Joaquin Valley Miata Club's 8th Annual Saint Patrick's Day Poker Run
03/17 Impromptu Run
03/23 Puke-O-Rama
03/25 Laguna Seca Track Day
03/25 Laguna Seca Track Day
03/28 Monthly Meeting
03/30 Tech Day in Ramona
04/05 Cruzin' Grand Wheels'N'Meals
04/6-7 Autocross at the Q
04/06 Desert Blooms Run
04/13 One Lap of America
04/20 Dam Run 4 "Revenge of the Cheese"
04/21 Autocross at the Q
04/25 Monthly Meeting
04/26-29 Western Sierras 2
04/28 Autocross at the Q
04/27 SDMC Annual Membership Meeting
03/03 Cruzin' Grand Wheels'N'Meals
05/4-6 Search for Madonna
05/4-6 McKeever's Fast Lane Racing School
05/11-12 Autocross at the Q
05/11 SDAM 3rd Annual Car Club Car Show
05/18 Impromptu Run
05/19 Impromptu Run
05/23 Monthly Meeting
05/25 Autocross at the Q
06/07 Cruzin' Grand Wheels'N'Meals
06/08 Track Driving Seminar
06/09 Tech Day in Oceanside
06/22 Impromptu Run
06/23 impromptu Run
06/27 Monthly Meeting
07/30 Ice Cream Social & Parade Planning Party
07/04 Scripps Ranch 4th of July Parade
07/04 4th of July BBQ & Pool Party & Fireworks
07/05 Cruzin' Grand Wheels'N'Meals
07/06 Autocross at the Q
07/13 Brainstorm Tech Day in San Diago II
07/19-21 Weekend with the Sahuaro Miata Club
07/25 Monthly Meeting
07/27 8th Annual Twilight Run
08/02 Cruzin' Grand Wheels'N'Meals
08/03 Dyno Tuning at Team Godspeed
08/10 6th Annual Miles of the Miatas for MDA
08/16-18 Monterey Historic Automobile Races
08/17 Run to the Getty Museum
08/22 Monthly Meeting
08/24 Debbye Does Santee Drive-In
08/31 Luau Run to the Lewis'
09/08 Autocross at the Q
09/14 SOCALM Best of the Bunch III All Miata Amateur Car Show
09/26 Monthly Meeting
10/8-10 3rd Bi-Annual Hearst Castle/San Simeon Run
10/10 20 Questions
10/12-13 Coronado Classic Speed Festival
10/19 Edelbrock Tour
10/20 Autocross at the Q
10/24 Monthly Meeting
11/09 Slot of Fun Run II
11/11 Veterans Day Parade
11/21 Monthly Meeting
11/30 Autocross at the Q
12/01 San Marcos Holiday Parade
12/1-2 Thunder Hill Track Day & Women's Track School
12/07 Autocross Novice School
12/07 Toys for Tots Run
12/15 SDMC Holiday Party
12/19 Monthly Meeting

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rik said:
can I join if I have a VX? :smile
Maybe... The club could be structured as a general Kappa club since the various Kappas will no doubt have many things in common. Only time will tell. Most clubs don't care if you even own the club's type, just that you are an enthusiast. I would think a VX would be most welcome at a Solstice meet. By the way, isn't VX a nerve agent used during WWI to kill soldiers? If I were Saturn or Vauxhall I would think seriously about ditching the VX and just go with Lightning. Lightning is great name, anything but Evoke! Please! :banghead

·
Registered
110 Posts
club

Hey would it me I wouldn't have to be on a waiting list to get the solstice =) I'm not sure I would want to be in a car club driving everywhere. I wouldn't want to put tons of miles on the car hee hee hee :crazy

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Maybe... The club could be structured as a general Kappa club since the various Kappas will no doubt have many things in common. Only time will tell. Most clubs don't care if you even own the club's type, just that you are an enthusiast. I would think a VX would be most welcome at a Solstice meet. By the way, isn't VX a nerve agent used during WWI to kill soldiers? If I were Saturn or Vauxhall I would think seriously about ditching the VX and just go with Lightning. Lightning is great name, anything but Evoke! Please! :banghead
It may or may not work. A lot of Camaro and Firebird enthusiats do not really like the other group even though they own the same car. I do not think the latest owners of the most recent cars are as bad, but in talking to some old time f-body owners, the Firebird enthusiats and Camaro enthusiasts do not mix too well.

It really depends how Solstice and Saturn owners view themselves. If Saturn is positioned above the Solstice, they will likely look down on the Solstice. Or if the Solstice gets a high output version and Saturn doesn't, the opposite may happen. (Often, the owners of the same car with bigger motors look down on the owners with lesser motors too).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fformula88 said:
It may or may not work. A lot of Camaro and Firebird enthusiats do not really like the other group even though they own the same car. I do not think the latest owners of the most recent cars are as bad, but in talking to some old time f-body owners, the Firebird enthusiats and Camaro enthusiasts do not mix too well.

It really depends how Solstice and Saturn owners view themselves. If Saturn is positioned above the Solstice, they will likely look down on the Solstice. Or if the Solstice gets a high output version and Saturn doesn't, the opposite may happen. (Often, the owners of the same car with bigger motors look down on the owners with lesser motors too).
I think it all depends on production numbers. If Solstice is a runaway hit, lots are sold, then I think a Solstice only club is likely. However, if production numbers fall way short, they are more likely to be lumped in with any other Kappas that make it to production to make the club more viable. Solstice, with the possible exception of Nomad, promises to have the highest production numbers of all Kappas shown thus far. IMO, the Kappa platform's success or failure hinges on Solstice in many ways.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Bah, when I had my GTP, I belonged to clubGP. We'd let anybody come out. Our first mod day, we had some representatives from Thrasher come out to install smaller pulleys (mind you, this was the early days when only one company was known to offer a pulley swap on L67 engines). A guy showed up with a Fiero that wanted one. We thought he was nuts until he showed us the L67 in his Fiero. Ever since then I've been itching to get an old Fiero and do the swap myself. Just a matter of priorities... priorities and space.

I think the way clubs are depends alot on the typical owners. Generally speaking, most Grand Prix owners are a little older, and pretty mellow. F-body guys tend to be hot tempered young egomaniacs who carry switchblades in their socks. Your BMW and Porsche clubs are full of pretentious snobs. Mind you, I'm making generalizations here.

I belonged to a Miata club when I owned that car, and we had a good mix of people ranging from young egomaniacal punks to soccer moms. I'm betting a Solstice clubs would be similar.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Bah, when I had my GTP, I belonged to clubGP. We'd let anybody come out. Our first mod day, we had some representatives from Thrasher come out to install smaller pulleys (mind you, this was the early days when only one company was known to offer a pulley swap on L67 engines). A guy showed up with a Fiero that wanted one. We thought he was nuts until he showed us the L67 in his Fiero. Ever since then I've been itching to get an old Fiero and do the swap myself. Just a matter of priorities... priorities and space.

I think the way clubs are depends alot on the typical owners. Generally speaking, most Grand Prix owners are a little older, and pretty mellow. F-body guys tend to be hot tempered young egomaniacs who carry switchblades in their socks. Your BMW and Porsche clubs are full of pretentious snobs. Mind you, I'm making generalizations here.

I belonged to a Miata club when I owned that car, and we had a good mix of people ranging from young egomaniacal punks to soccer moms. I'm betting a Solstice clubs would be similar.
A little off topic, but there is a guy on the Fiero forum that has an L67 running 11's! :lol

Your right about some of the upper crust brands and cars, the f-body brands, etc. Each car generally atracts certain demographics of people. So far based on this forum, it looks like the Solstice's demographics will be fairly wide which IMO is a good thing. It'll give any club some good balance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
there will be a solstice club in the st louis, mo metro area. wether it is a stand alone club (bad) or a chapter of a national club (good) remains to be seen. i cant seem to get much help in organizing a national club.

for a local club, the trick is to make the club more about the people in it and less about the car. the car should only be the common interest shared by the members. people enjy talking with their friends more than they enjoy looking at anonymous peoples cars.

the national club, and its forum, should be THE place for technical info and the place to launch national meets/events.

·
Registered
31 Posts
roadster said:
"If you own a Solstice and you don't belong to a Solstice Club, you just own a car"

Just an example, the San Diego Miata Club is a pretty diverse group, with driving schools, suspension seminars, dyno tuning, autocross, track days, auto shows, parades, and Miata drives galore. Here is a list (probably incomplete) of their events for last year.
Jeeeze the must have nothing else to do with their lives. I could do one maybe two events a year. Unless my commute to work qualified as an event. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts